<2000 2500pt Tomb Kings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

2500pt Tomb Kings

So I was basically just sitting around today working on my ogres and during a break started writing TK lists. I haven't played tomb kings in 8th edition yet partially because I was waiting for the new book and then just never got around to it with work, school, and building $300 worth of new TK models. Anyway for a first competitive level 8th ed TK list I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it good, crap etc?

Lord:
    Tomb King
    -Chariot
    -Shield
    -Armour of fortune
    -Death Mask of Kharnut

Liche High Priest (light)
    -Lvl 4
    (just couldn't figure out what else to give him unfortunatley)

Heroes (nehekara)
    liche priest
    -Lvl2
    -Dispel scroll

Core:
    11 Chariots (TK obviously joins them)
    -FC
    -Banner of swiftness

20 skeleton archers (2 units of 10, stock just to shoot stuff)

6 horsemen archers (warmachines hunting and again a few pot shots, with wood elves I found fast cav make great war machine hunters)

Special
    30 tomb guard
    -FC

6 Necropolis knights
    -FC
    (debatting the whole entomb thing)

3 carrion swarms (again mostly for war machines and pure annoyance)

Rare:
    Screaming skull catapult
    -Skulls of the foe

Casket of souls

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by girlhunter2102 View Post
    So I was basically just sitting around today working on my ogres and during a break started writing TK lists. I haven't played tomb kings in 8th edition yet partially because I was waiting for the new book and then just never got around to it with work, school, and building $300 worth of new TK models. Anyway for a first competitive level 8th ed TK list I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it good, crap etc?

Lord:
    Tomb King
    -Chariot
    -Shield
    -Armour of fortune
    -Death Mask of Kharnut
    I usually give my prince Armour of Destiny

Liche High Priest (light)
    -Lvl 4
    (just couldn't figure out what else to give him unfortunatley)
    Your lvl 4 has to be the Hierophant, and thus has to have the lore of Nehekhara, your lvl 2 can have light though, I'm not a fan of multiple priests myself though, others do it, I don't, and it has worked fine for me. Either put the priests in a bunker(Archers), give them a ward save (Talisman of Protection) or do both.

Heroes (nehekara)
    liche priest
    -Lvl2
    -Dispel scroll

Core:
    11 Chariots (TK obviously joins them)
    -FC
    -Banner of swiftness
    I've been thinking of trying something like this myself it sounds very interesting and it might just pay off.

20 skeleton archers (2 units of 10, stock just to shoot stuff)
    I would keep it as one big unit to shelter your liche priests.

6 horsemen archers (warmachines hunting and again a few pot shots, with wood elves I found fast cav make great war machine hunters)

Special
    30 tomb guard
    -FC
    I like big blocks of models, which is why I usually have a unit of 50+ warriors to suck up damage and act as an anvil.

6 Necropolis knights
    -FC
    (debatting the whole entomb thing)
    Entombed beneath isn't worth it, you pay extra points for it and your unit may end up never finding its way to the battlefield...

3 carrion swarms (again mostly for war machines and pure annoyance)

Rare:
    Screaming skull catapult
    -Skulls of the foe

Casket of souls

Good rare choices, though skulls of the foe aren't worth it pointswise.

Thoughts?
    Comments are in red, it looks good though. I usually don't play against anyone who has any warmachines, so I can't really give any advice on that, which is why I haven't.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmm. There are two kinds of competetive lists, and it looks like you chose 'none of the above.'. In other words, your list lacks focus.

A 2500 point horde list would be built around two units of 40-50 swordsmen plus the tomb guard. Character-wise, it would have a prince for each core melee regiment and two L4 priests, with the subordinate one taking the lore of light. That makes for a wide selection of spells to heal and buff skellies, in other words, heavy magic, but in a supporting role.

A 2500 point construct list would fill the core minimum with chariots (in units of 4 or 8 ) and a mounted lich bunker. It would then field few characters, if any, beyond the required general (a prince to lead some of the chariots) and hiero (who is mounted). Maybe another LP with lore of death for some character sniping, but the idea is to preserve maximum points in this model poor army for special and rare choices. The main event is ushabti, possibly some snake surfers, and warsphinxes. If the 50% max of specials is reached (quite possible!), a necrosphinx or necrolith colossus. Everything hits hard, nothing moves just four inches, and you have no battle line.

Personally, I think the horde option is more in keeping with the character of the tomb kings' fluff, but it presents a challenge, and that is that after spending so heavilly on core skellies and magic, there's precious little left for hammer units!

And by the way, your plan to field a single block of 12 chariots is madness! One block of eight and one of four is okay, but 12? Too hard to maneuver, and is therefore begging to be outflanked. Personally, if taking twelve, I'd field three units of four, though.
    Last edited by Marnepup; March 7th, 2012 at 03:45.

+ Reply to Thread