Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Queen Khalida - 420
Hierophant: Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar - 160
Liche Priest: 2x Dispel scroll - 165
17 Bowmen: Champion, Standard, Banner of the Undying Legion, Blessing of the Asp - 171
2 Swarms - 90
4 Ushabti - 260
2 Tomb Scorpions - 170
19 Tomb Guard: Full Command unit, Banner of Sacred Eye - 298
2 Screaming Skulls Catapults with Skull of the foe - 220
Total - 2000pts
This list is a friendly list as you cannot use special characters in a tornament. The idea is to keep Khalida nice and safe in the unit of Tomb Guard with at least one of the catapults near by so it will always get two shots a turn. The Bowmen make a screen for the rest of my army and then fall into ranks in about turn 2 or 3 (depends what army it is against) The swarms and maybe one Scorpion (depends on opponents) 'come from below to slow enemy advanece and the ushabti wait to flank charge or support charge in conjunction with the Tomb Guard, with the final Scorpion there to try to plug any holes in the battle line. I would love some thoughts, criticisms and ideas for this army list!
Just a couple things...
1. Your list isn't legal as far as I can tell. The only core units you have are the archers and the swarms. You need at least 3 core choices for the list to be legal.
2. Your point totals are way off on some stuff. 17 Warriors with champ, std, blessing and the banner comes to 215, not 171. The unit of 19 Tomb Guard comes to 308 not 298. Your total points for the army is 2008.
3. The banner of the undying legion seems a little pointless on the bowmen unit. From experience I've found it works best on a skeleton warrior unit of 25-30 with light armor and shield. For 30-40 points less than the tomb guard you have a bigger unit, that repairs itself much more efficiently. That might be an option to consider to make your list legal.
4. For a friendly list, I dont really think khalida and two catapults is appropriate. Having the potential to make your opponent take 3+ panic checks at -1 every turn doesn't seem like it sets the mood for a friendly game.
5. Chariots!! They are one of the major strengths of the tomb kings list. The fast cav rules and their movement value of 8, combined with tomb kings magic makes them arguably the best flanking unit in the game.
6. You might also consider dropping the Ushabti unit down to 3. They still hit like a freight train, and are slightly less of a liability on the battlefield due to the units lower cost.
Hopefully all that will give you something to ponder over, and help you come up with a better list in the end.
p.s. just like to point out that if khalida joins the tomb guard, you have a single unit that has a total point value of 728 points : )
I don't think there's anything wrong with taking two SSCs, and special characters aren't used nearly enough.Originally Posted by Khaazen
When writing a list, i try to make an army that will do well, and so it can get a tad annoying trying to decide what's "cheezy" and what's not, and whether people will like my list. If it's there to be used then use it i say!
I would agree with the chariots, they are amazing and one of the best options available to the tomb kings.
Although i never begrudge people using special characters, i'm not sure that khalida is worth her points in 2000pts, although feel free to try it out! I sometimes use a 505 points special character in my 2k point dwarf list!
I'm not sure about the size of the swarms either. If you're thinking of using them as it came from below then you already have two scorpions to do that, otherwise i think you should make the swarm size much larger. I run 5 jungle swarms in my 2300pt lizardman army and they are even more expensive than yours!
If you want my opinion, i think you should drop Khalida and have a liche high priest, a liche priest and a couple of tomb princes as your characters. Put one prince in the unit of chariots and one with the tomb guard...
But this would mean seriously changing your list so i'm not sure how helpful that really is!:wacko:
The thing with TK swarms is they take wounds from combat res, so they dont really play the same role that your jungle swarms do. They cant sit and tie a unit up the whole game like yours can. Instead they are used as flanking units, or to tie up warmachine crews.
Yeah good point, an unbreakable unit with 25 wounds is a pain for anyone, that is why i like 'em. But the entire undead army is unbreakable and so you're right they wouldn't play the same role.Originally Posted by Khaazen
Originally Posted by Khaazen
Ok, correct me if I am wrong it says that "ALL undead are unbreakable" but when looking at the swarm profile it goes a step further and says that they themselves are "unbreakable"
That being said the only reason that a unit of say skeletons take combat res is when they are beaten in combat and would have to take a leadership test if they were not undead. Now since the rule for unbreakable means that no leadership test would "ever" be required would not the swarms not take the combat res? Sorry for hi-jacking, but I seen that and had to ask.
You still work out combat res as normal for unbreakable units, they can still WIN the combat after all.Originally Posted by manakari
I think the unbreakble on the swarms is just for completeness as they are swarms.
Tomb swarms still crumble like the rest of the undead army
Okies, then some folks have misguided me on that one. Sorry for the inconvience.
No problem. I've seen more than one person get confused with some of the undead stuff.