Please dissect my 1000 point army list! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please dissect my 1000 point army list!

Hi y'all,

After a few games and learning how to play the army a bit, I've done a fair bit of fiddling and this is the army I've come up with. It's painfully obvious to all involved that TK do struggle in 1000 points, but for the moment that's what we're playing.

Tomb Prince - Flail, Light Armour, Chariot

Lich Priest - Staff of Ravening, Steed

Lich Priest - 2x Dispel Scroll (Hierophant hiding at the back with the SSC usually)

15 Skeleton Bowmen

14 Skeleton Bowmen

3 Chariots - Standard w/ Icon of the Sacred Eye

Screaming Skull Catapult

I'd like the skeletons to ideally be armed with hand weapons and shields - more holding, and the bows dont do a lot anyway it seems, although I'm a bit torn. Also, I'd like to make the units a bit bigger if they're going to melee. Maybe change both units for a bigger unit of hand weapon/shield skellys and a small unit of heavy horsemen, I'm just not sure. Everything other than the core choices seems fine to me, though.

Any comments, suggestions, flames welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should this have been posted in the army list section? Cant see a rule pertaining to it either way. Please move if necessary!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Tomb Prince - Flail, Light Armour, Chariot
    >>> No save, but good at 1K imo as you have kept him cheap.

>>> drop the staff at 1K, its too expensive, 2 priests is fine, unless you have ponts spare in which case go for it.

Lich Priest - 2x Dispel Scroll (Hierophant hiding at the back with the SSC usually)
    >>> if this is the hierophant, loose the 2 crolls. give him the cloak of dunes. you have enough antimagic (4 dice) already, i think scrolls are overkill protection, and a waste of points here, especially now most other army's magic potency has been reduced in 7th ed.

15 Skeleton Bowmen
    14 Skeleton Bowmen
    >>> these units are too small to be effective as a main block. change to a unit of 20 with HW/S/LA, no command, and make the second core 5 light horsemen, or a single scarab swarm, which will be useful for ICFB.

>>> drop the standard and the Icon, far too expensive at low points. if you want a magical banner though, use the undying legion. especially with 2 priests and possibly the staff of ravening, your magic will be superior.

Screaming Skull Catapult
    >>> As always, i suggest the upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    >>> drop the staff at 1K, its too expensive, 2 priests is fine, unless you have ponts spare in which case go for it.

I do find it expensive, but also, I love it.

>>> if this is the hierophant, loose the 2 crolls. give him the cloak of dunes. you have enough antimagic (4 dice) already, i think scrolls are overkill protection, and a waste of points here, especially now most other army's magic potency has been reduced in 7th ed.

I play against Skaven a lot, so the scrolls are somewhat of a meta choice; those 2d6 str 5 warp lightnings need to be stopped, or the chariots wont last long. But removing one of these could be a good points freer-upper (inventing words rules). I'm not convinced by the popularity of Cloak of the Dunes here, though; it seems to me that it's a poor player's way of compensating for bad deployment and forethought.

15 Skeleton Bowmen
    14 Skeleton Bowmen
    >>> these units are too small to be effective as a main block. change to a unit of 20 with HW/S/LA, no command, and make the second core 5 light horsemen, or a single scarab swarm, which will be useful for ICFB.

Agreed, these units really are poor. I was just reading my army book and realised that the Tomb Swarm could (rather cheesily) fill up the second core slot nice and cheaply, paving the way for a nice fat unit of holding skeletons as you suggest. Or maybe a nice fat unit of bowmen (I'll be playing vs empire a lot too, so I'd like to be able to shootify the Pistoliers).

>>> drop the standard and the Icon, far too expensive at low points. if you want a magical banner though, use the undying legion. especially with 2 priests and possibly the staff of ravening, your magic will be superior.

Standard + Tomb Prince almost auto-breaks stuff it charges, though! Saying that, freeing up the points would be nice, and another bound item would be nice. Will review this.

Screaming Skull Catapult
    >>> As always, i suggest the upgrade.

Yeh, I took it off to squeeze the points for the other stuff. I'll endeavour to get it back in with more tweaking.

Thanks for the comments!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb Prince - Flail, Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Light Armour, Shield

Lich Priest – Dispel Scroll

3 Chariots - SB, Banner of the Undying Legion

20 Skeletons - Light armour, Shields, SB, Musician

1 Tomb Swarm

SSC – Skulls of the Foe

Updated version, what do you think? I did mean to have Chariot of Fire in my original army list but lost it somewhere along the way - I think originally I only had 1 dispel scroll and the CoF instead.

I'm not too happy with the Skeletons only being 20 strong but it seems to be a necessary evil to squeeze the rest of the army in. They could alternatively be a 24 strong unit of bowmen with a standard bearer.

Note that the TP shield and the Skelly musician are only there because I had spare points left over and nothing else to spend them on. I dont have my army list on me atm, but maybe the TP could take a flail and a great weapon (GW for using rather than a shield in round 2 and beyond, should it come to that?).

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Still reckon you should get the cloak on your hierophant.
    Im not a huge fan of the CoF, its too 'one hit' ish for me, much like scrolls. i prefer to take things with a more lasting effect, like the staff of ravening and the cloak of dunes etc.
    As for the skeleton warriors, i prefer bowmen, all my skellies are bow armed. so if your happy to go with it, id recommend the 24 unit with bows. no standard though, IF the unit dies, it costs you an extra 100Vpts, which is a lot in smaller games.
    I wouldnt bother with a GW for the prince in chariot. its only +1 str as he is mounted, and he strikes last when not charging, and if your chariots dont get the charge they are in trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea behind the chariot unit is to break a unit on the charge, though. If you had a magic item that gave you two s4 hits when charging, it'd get used. Chariots played properly should *always* get a charge imo (especially in TK), and CoF takes your average hits up by 2.5 as I'm sure you know; that seems too good to waste to me for 25 points.

I'll try out both the bowmen and the hw/shield guys. Think it'll probably be horses for courses, though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown View Post
    Should this have been posted in the army list section? Cant see a rule pertaining to it either way. Please move if necessary!
    The "Army lists" forum right above "Post topic" should give you a clue...:ninja:

Think first, post later.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    Think first, post later.
    Good forum layout first, insults later.

+ Reply to Thread