Potential for a stupidly long charge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Potential for a stupidly long charge

I know people go on about carrion having a potential 40" charge but I was thinking the other day about what unit to put in my banner of the hidden legion and was thinking that the charge you can get from this is even more impressive.

You use the banner at the end of the movement phase so the icon bearer can move with it 8" (if mounted) then it is deploy withing 18" of him, then the unit can move normally but not charge 8" (again if mounted) that gives a potential of 34" with out using magic.

if you have a priest with cloak of the dunes to cast on the unit that adds an additional 16" to the charge range. A 50" charge in the first turn.... I like alot.

You can get a 6 strongunit of heavy horseman for the points and they have a unit strength of 12 so can outnumber small units, get flanking bonuses and all sorts.

Just a thought.

Marc

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you try this out,let me know if it feels worth it. I've looked at using that magic banner in the past, but haven't yet justified the points. My worry is that you'll extend the emerging unit beyond the support of the rest of your army, thus wasting them and the 60 extra points for the banner.
    "Sometimes I wonder why I still live amongst the humans." -
    Kieran

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

The only problem with this is the banner costs loads, and puts a huge chunk of points into one tactic, and could end up leaving your prest and standard bearer really exposed to enemy fire and magic. Also it relies on the enemy not dispelling your magic.
    Also any unit which you can raise are not very good in combat, so you would need to have them charge a lone mage or warmachine anyway, and the scorpions and swarms are a far better, easier and more cost effective way to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Nifty title but...

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    The only problem with this is the banner costs loads, and puts a huge chunk of points into one tactic, and could end up leaving your prest and standard bearer really exposed to enemy fire and magic. Also it relies on the enemy not dispelling your magic.
    Also any unit which you can raise are not very good in combat, so you would need to have them charge a lone mage or warmachine anyway, and the scorpions and swarms are a far better, easier and more cost effective way to do that.
    nail gets hit on head

I have wanted to use this banner, but find that other options for the Icon Bearer work better for me. I usually like to deck out either my Tomb Guard or Heavy Cav with two banners, to maximize their potential.

That being said, I feel the banner could work well once battle is joined. When the lines come crashing together your magic can come to into play(to affect hidden unit) without your liche and the hidden unit being cut off from the rest of your force, which is what happens with that crazy long range charge.

If only it were a touch cheaper and allowed you a little more freedom of choice, or even if the unit could charge when they emerge... enough musing. The banner is better used as a surprise potential rear attack, rather than a deep strike.
    The legions of Palos[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=100375

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

If only taking an Icon Bearer wasn't such a burden on our lists. It's hard to justify that alone, much less taking such an expensive banner when we have scorpions and carrion to do its job.

I can't wait for our re-write (4 years from now probably) when maybe it will be feasible to take an Icon Bearer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephthysis View Post
    I can't wait for our re-write (4 years from now probably) when maybe it will be feasible to take an Icon Bearer
    Oh, we gonna wait for a looong while. :sleep:
    And the ground did tremble, as the king marched to war...

+ Reply to Thread