Caskets and Cannon Balls - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caskets and Cannon Balls

Right, has anyone worked out a way to protect the casket from cannon balls?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

There pretty much isnt one, apart from rendering it useless be hiding it behind terrain. Your best bet is to give the priest the Golden Ankrah if your really concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Place it at the front of a hill, Cannon Balls cannot bounce up hills and therefore will hit the hill and stop. Thus protecting your casket except if he rolls luckily!

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifexus View Post
    Place it at the front of a hill, Cannon Balls cannot bounce up hills and therefore will hit the hill and stop. Thus protecting your casket except if he rolls luckily!

Carni
    Is that Legit? If it is then that is wicked! Although I thought it said in the Rule book it had to be a shere cliff edge...However, if this is true then it means that the only way for the casket to be hit is for the ball to LAND on the casket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Generally cannon balls can ''bounce'' up hills, but it is really up to the players to decide. The rules say that cannonballs stop if they touch terrain, or something along those lines, but exploiting this so a cannon cannot shoot something on a hill is a bit un-sportsman-like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rights, here is my Cannon statergy (of sorts)

1) Try to place a piece of impassable terrain between you and the cannon (a house, monolith etc-)

2) The boards diagonal measures some 84 inches, so you might be able to outrange some cannonballs, though, this will probabily leave LoS skewed.

3) Get a Carrion charge in on the first turn.

4) Hide the Casket until you have dealt with the War Machines (which should be no later than turn three if all goes well) using Carrion, Scorpions and Swarms.

In reality, we only need to worry against Dwarfs and Empire. My problem is that at the GT I will proabily come up against at least one of these armies. However I think the Casket is great, so am trying to think up a way to get round the gapping flaw in the Caskets rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Only problem with hidng the Casket is it removes it effectiveness totally, as most other enemy units wont have LoS to it.
    If your going to take one you are going to have to live with the fact that it may be targetted and destroyed, much like every other unit in your army. So if you do take one, just live with that fact, and place it where it will have the most effect on the enemy army, i.e with a LoS coverage to as much of the battlefield as possible.
    Hiding is effectively the same as it being killed, you are fighting with almost a 300point disadvantage. If you are that concerned, go with a Catapult instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Generally cannon balls can ''bounce'' up hills, but it is really up to the players to decide. The rules say that cannonballs stop if they touch terrain, or something along those lines, but exploiting this so a cannon cannot shoot something on a hill is a bit un-sportsman-like.
    Interesting I never considered it remotely unsportsman like etc... We play you lose an inch when moving up or down a hill as our hills like most I've seen are really just raised flat areas.

In fact it was our dwarf player who felt that cannon balls got stopped on the layer change on the hill.

And Hills are definitely terrain if you look at all the rules effecting them. I'll have to go home and re read the rules on cannonballs but you might want to go easy on calling people unsportsman like because they play a different ruling to you, it may be the way that group plays that they feel is fair.

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

From a physics point of view, a cannonball will be greatly effected if it hits the side of a raised slope as opposed to flat ground. it is likely to bounce a lot heigher and not as far, or if the slope is to great to just stop when it hits the hill. Of course it would be too complex to add things like that into games..

I've never really thought about cannons and hills, but I certainly wouldn't call it unsportsmanlike for a cannon to be stopped by a hill. It would be more likely to be stopped by a hill than a small forest or something.

Remember, if the cannon can see you then you can see it and effectively destroy it with the casket if it ever gets off. Most of the time the casket doesn't even go off, so it doesn't really need to be in LoS of the cannon to still be effective and worth its points, as long as it can see at least a couple of units. And the guess range is a factor, I don't think you could get it out of range of the cannon all the time realistically, but the further away from the cannon the less likely the player is to be able to guess the range correctly.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Hiding is effectively the same as it being killed, you are fighting with almost a 300point disadvantage. If you are that concerned, go with a Catapult instead.
    I have thought about taking two catapults, but the way I see it, the casket has the more potential than perhaps any other unit, to be a game winner. There are two armies that it will be sevearly targeted against, Dwarfs and Empire. However, it will be overly effective against Orcs and Goblins, Beasts of Chaos, Skaven, Empire, Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Ogres etc - basically any army with a base Ld of 7 or under. I feel its biggest draw back is that you are tying up 280+ points in one unit that can be targeted by war machines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast