Competitive Lord Choice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Tomb Kings Lord for competitive play

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tomb King

56 61.54%
  • Liche High Priest

34 37.36%
  • Neither, I only use Heros!

1 1.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitive Lord Choice

Okay, so in a competitive 2000pt Tomb Kings list, which would you rather have as your Lord and why? The King with his core chariots, banner for skeles, fair spell casting ability and potency in Close Combat? The Liche High Priest, with two 3D6 incantations per turn, or neither?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I want to say Tomb King, I had to vote High Priest. Kings are nasty in combat, then you give them the Destoryer of Eternities and, well, I slaughtered a unit of Chosen Knights with that thing. Chariots are nice to have core, especially considering what the other special choices are (except maybe Carrion)

However, the way I play Tomb Kings, I need to be magic-heavy. I play against Beastmen (Chaos magic SUCKS for Tomb Kings) Vampire Counts (summoning skeletons in your way can ruin you) and Greenskins (Foot of Gork on Hierophant) a lot, so I need all the dispell dice I can get. With my Priests average a power level of 6-8 on their incantations, they're easily dispelled.

However, I could try taking a King, but taking another Priest and the Casket and see how that works.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Definitely gotta be a King. Far better statline that a prince, and adds much needed hitting power to the Army. Also chariots as core allows you to take full advantage of the other brilliant spacial choices available. He hs the potential to be tooled to fully and be awesome, but my king has only the collar and a GW, cheap and very effective.

The high priest is very expensive, and although his spell power is good, it still has a limited range, so spreading spells out is harder to do. Also i run 3 priests and a casket, and, even against magic heavy armies i manage to make my magic defense work effectively. The casket also means many of my other more essential spells work, as the opponant wants to shut down the casket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Tomb King. The fact that chariots move to core is almost reason enough for me, TK still get the ability to cast (though not as well as HLP) and are great in combat.

Both options can be competitive though. I've found my lists with the king are plenty strong enough in magic. It really depends on what you are more comfortable with and the style of army you prefer.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I use a tomb king personally.

Part of it is because I like the idea and has nothing to do with being a competitive choice.

I think they are competitive becaused used well a tomb king can give most combat characters a fair fight, or beat up anything that isnt designed for combat. They have limited spell casting abilities and make chariots core. As I take two units in my 2000 point army it helps considerably.

Regards

Marc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I perfer to use tomb queen khalidia and a bow heavy army with no tomb kings, only princes but if i dont use khalidia then i use a high priest with tomb prince for the same reasons that have been said already by SilentRamble42

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say.... It's good to be the king:party2:
    The King is strong in CC and can cast 2 magic incantions! Once upgraded with blade of setep, enchanted shield and scorpion armor, he's superior!

LHP is good to, allthough, he isn't the master in CC. That why I like a Tk so much..

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Lord Choise :
    Tomb King - only for assault army list;
    Liche High Priest - Good for mixed list, but better for defensive army list;
    Khalida - only defensive army list;
    IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LHP or TK

I've always taken a LHP, he just helps so much to overload the magic phase you are going to get something you want off. There is nothing they can do to stop it, especially when combined with a casket and SSC to double shot.

I usually run LHP, and 2LP, TP, Casket, Undying Legion, and Staff of Ravening.

Thats a hell of a lot of magic to wade through.

What do you guys think?

As i've only had 2 games at 2k points i haven't been able to try a king yet, but im going to give it a shot here in the next couple days.

EDIT: Completely unrelated but, i've read several posts about an Online List creator, which i would find very entertaining since im stuck at work doing nothing. If anyone knows where that is, i'd be very grateful.
    Last edited by Spector; September 14th, 2007 at 18:16. Reason: Added question

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

With the setup your running... thats 13 Casting dice and 2 bounds. Nicely overpowered
    Im assuming a SSC too, but what do you fill the rest of your army with? And what Unit does your prince join?
    Ive always found that with that much magic, often some of it is unusable in some turns, especially once your opponants learn the SSC shot WILL go off, so let the first casting attempt go. Then you have nothing else to cast on, and they have plenty saved to stop the Casket.

As for the online list creator, im right here! Nah, in all seriousness i havent heard of that, although i have considered starting a thread on here advertising myself as a list creator, much like the Choas 40K one if you are familiar with it. Although TK armies are far simpler to construct that Chaos 40K so maybe my services arent required. Anyway, random typing over. Hope this was useful... somehow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast