Defensive TK with Explanation part 1 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defensive TK with Explanation part 1

LORD

-I almost always run a force with a TK instead of an LHP because our army is about the strength of the whole force not individual units. He gives a core unit a banner of upto 25 points not to be overlooked and most importantly he makes chariots core! This is unbelievably valuable, allowing us to take more of our wonderful specials.

TOMB KING
    Destroyer of Eternities
    Collar of Shapesh

-The Destroyer of Eternities, IMHO is the best single magic weapon in the whole game bar none, its controversial stuff! I know opinions are divided in this forum, but its abilities against virtually all enemy types, including ones our army normally struggles against, heavily armoured enemies for example, ensures it takes pride of place in my force, it is expensive but we can still take a 4+ ward save all be it an unusual one in the collar of shapesh, not many armies can boast that their most powerful weapon still allows them a decent ward save. Transferring wounds is not really an issue either in an army that can raise.

-Magic is essential in our armies, an LHP offers stronger spells that are harder to dispel, but doesn't get to cast any more than the TK, the LHP has knowledge of all spells, but so long as the TK has something useful to cast every turn, i.e he is in or within 6" of a strong unit, he is effective in the magic phase as well as being effective in the combat phase which is something the LHP cannot boast and he is cheaper. The more phases a character is useful in, the more versatile his role in the force.

HEROES
    -To make up for the lesser magical ability of my lord I usually opt for three LP's to increase the magical output I find this a nice balance between combat and casting.

Liche Priest (Hierophant)
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Hieratic Jar

-The cloak of the dunes on the hierarch is a godsend it allows him to get where he needs to be at any given time, and makes up for a general lack of mobility in my list. Need to force a charge or heal units that have advanced he's your liche need to get behind a hill or forest out of line of sight hes capable. Usually give him a hieratic jar for that really important magically induced charge of chariots, carrion or scorpion.

Liche Priest
    Dispel Scroll

-Magical defence, or lack thereof can be an issue in this list but my tactics make it a more viable option, it is risky at times though, i must admit, particularly in tournies with over powered magic armies!

Liche Priest

TBC

Hex

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very Nice, you might want to look at the tactica in progress and offer to write a few articles, because some of this has already been covered.

As for the DoE, the best weapon is an extravagent claim. I use one and it was undoubtedly the star performer at my GT heat and one of the main reasons I got through. However, its points cost is its biggest enemy, look at something like the whight sword for Vampire counts as more cost effective, leaving more points for character protection.

Tomb Kings are more competitive than LHP's but if you really want to go cheese crazy, try LHP, TP, LP, LP with Casket of souls, as well as staff of ravening and BoUL: That is just a piss take of a magic phase!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanx for your comments most of this stuff just comes straight off my comp, i wrote a strategy guide ages ago for the TK but never posted it anywhere, i will take a look at this guide you speak of. These are just some of my musings on the DOE debate. Glad to see TK's bein represented at the GT succesfully 2 well done!

I agree that there are other good weapons out there, just very few that are capable of that number of AUTO hits at that strength over the course of a game. Lets look at the value of its Special Attack

Rolling to hit is the biggest statistical hurdle in warhammer CC because you require at best 3+, so a third of your attacks will miss, 1 on average in the TK's case unless you have +1 to hit weapon and these items usually reduce your ability to increase your strength, e.g by wielding a GW instead.

With sensible movement/deployment 6 hits at S7 is highly possible with corner to corner on 20mm bases. This usually results in three dead models 2w on each, and can also take care of most armies heroes if one is unlucky enough to be in base contact.

-The fewer dice you have to roll to achieve your aims the better, i.e kills for CR and reducing ranks/attacks back, and then just rolling to wound needing 2's most often, plus killing blow a 1 in 3 chance with each model hit in base is ridiculously efficient.

-This used against models riding monstrous mounts is nasty also, and will usually result in wounds on mount and rider! Its even better against characters riding chariots and chariots individually, S7 doesnt mix well!

-You combine this combat potential with the strike again incantation and you get even more bang for your buck over the course of the game.

-I grant you there are better options possibly for a dueling TK but I always run a champ in his unit to avoid them.

HEX
    Last edited by LOTHAR-HEX; November 21st, 2007 at 19:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the DoE (as long as you charged) is one of the best character killers in the game for challenges, though if you can avoid the challenge and just be in Base to Base with the enemy character that is obviously better.

If you get a charge in the movement phase, great, if you get one in the magic phase as long as it is early enough, try to smite your DoE King and his unit. The DoE is different becuase, according to Official GW FAQ and the new house rules at this years GT: it can use its special attack in the magic phase, rather than one attack.

So assuming you are in B2B with three enemy models including a character, thats two auto hits in the magic phase and two more in the combat phase per model!

That is a 66% chance of killing blow!

However, the thing I found this item most useful for was dealing with the units my Tomb guard really struggled to hurt, I'm talking about Treenkin and the like, the two wounds and auto hits were great, combined with static combat res meant I won combat by enough for them to break and be run down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely dude! I play most often against a very tough forest spirit list and my tomb guard unit with the icon of rakaph and that character really evens out the fight in terms of combat prowess and maneuverability. One game i was losing horribly before that unit went on the rampage seeing off two units of dryads and a unit of four treekin, salvaged me a draw in the end!

Hex

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

How about posting your Tactica up here?? As will said, we have our own community tactica WiP at the moment, but the more info we can gather the better. The Tactica thread is stickied at the top of the TK forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I've seen your posts in the past two days Lex. Looks like we have another capable Tomb King commander on the forums. Welcome.

No doubt the DoE is one of the best weapons in the TK book, and probably in the warhammer world.
    I'm still debating on whether I want my Prince in a chariot to be wielding the Spear of Antarhak so he can heal up accompanying chariot unit, or the Flail of Skulls so they can reliably take down ogre types and characters.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Id say take a prince with Antarhak, that way you can still take an Eshield too. The flail id leave for a Chariot king, chances are he will be taking on harder enemies, and will still have plenty of points to spend defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, i am goin to get my tactica condensed down a bit, but then i will definitely get it up on here, it is a bit wordy in places, like many of my posts lol! Hopefully quality posts and decent strategy/tactics guides will see some more TK armies being played in a more competetive manner.

I have seen very few TK's armies in my local area and those that i have seen tend to be run by starter players. They are a tricky army to get to grips with at first and i suspect many players dump them opting for flashier armies with great stats and special rules that they will pay through the nose for in points terms, new high elves and elite chaos lists for example. We have great units, with some nifty special rules that are in some cases -dare I say it- underpriced, Tomb Scorpions and SSC's in particular! But hey I ent complaining!

Hex

+ Reply to Thread