movement questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

movement questions

I've a couple of quick questions regarding TK chariots, light cav, and reforming when you can't march move. Our chariots and cavalry have a MV of 8 and cant march move. Are we limited to each model moving a max of 8 from their starting location including distances for reforms etc, or is it 8 for directional movement but a maximum of 16 from their starting location including reforms etc. For example, can you move them 8 forward, reform 90 degrees from the starting facing around the centre of the unit and therefore have the lead chariot move over 8, though only 8 directional movement. The question can also be raised of lines of infantry, 22 models in a line, mv4 cant march, seem to be able to reform so long as no model in the line moves more than double it's base move.
    Also, say you have a unit of 25 archers in a line, is it legit to have the champion/attached character start on say the left end of the line, and in the movement phase reposition him "in the front rank" to the extreme right end of the line, a move which clearly exceeds his base mv of 4 and even his reform max move of 8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

For chariot, etc, the maximum any model in the unit can move, including distances from reforming, is 8".

Command moving within the front rank of their own unit is fine, no matter how far i think, though someone else will need to confirm this.

Also maximum movement limitation is 4, not 8, for skellie warriors and the likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can move from line to block in one reform, and yes that ignores movement limits.
    And yes you can move a champion from one end of a line to the other no matter the length.
    Similar as to when a character moves into any part of a unit and whizz... he's in the front rank.

If these mechanics are a problem for you then WFB has a whole bunch more.
    To my mind these are actually very minor issues and there are a lot worse.
    You need to decide whether this sort of thing is a deal breaker or not.
    You either shrug and ignore these or find a different ruleset if they suck the fun out the game for you.

Good luck persuading others to play different rulesets, however better these are people stick with what they know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the movement rules for warhammer specify that no model may move further than its total movement characteristic under any circumstances, unless marching, or charging. Even in a reform a model may not exceed its total move value, the only possible exception i am really aware of is the requirement that characters must be placed in the front rank, unless dodging a challenge. This usually means if a character clips the back of a unit it wishes to join it is moved to the front of said unit, i.e. moving more than its permitted distance.

This has never really effected me too badly, when reforming blocks of archers you just have to make sure that the outermost models are four inches away or less from the five models forming the centre of the front rank of the unit.

Many opponents will view it as cheating if you try and reform a unit of 20 models deployed in an archer line back into a 5x4formation in one turn, as some models will move huge distances. This is an issue with other armies who also utilise such an unwieldy and vulnerable formation.

HEX
    How do you expect to defeat me when I am forever and you are just a man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can move from line to block in one reform, and yes that ignores movement limits.
    And yes you can move a champion from one end of a line to the other no matter the length.
    Similar as to when a character moves into any part of a unit and whizz... he's in the front rank.

If these mechanics are a problem for you then WFB has a whole bunch more.
    To my mind these are actually very minor issues and there are a lot worse.
    You need to decide whether this sort of thing is a deal breaker or not.
    You either shrug and ignore these or find a different ruleset if they suck the fun out the game for you.

Good luck persuading others to play different rulesets, however better these are people stick with what they know.

I only asked because I was curious whether I was playing in a fair manner or unknowingly cheating. Most of my opponents have been playing alot longer than I have and nobody has mentioned anything being wrong with how my troops have moved. I tend to use archers deployed in lines of 20 and was curious about when they reform. The reform rule indicates they can reform around the centre of the unit so long as no models move more than double their base mv with no mention of this being blocked by proximity to enemy models or an inability to march, which undead can't do. So it would seem that they can reform into a 5 by 4 block legally.
    In the case of chariots/Light cav I think it only becomes an issue if they wish to reform more than once. For instance with one reform the initial move will not exceed their move and the reform is conducted as per the normal reform move rules so that no model has moved more than double the base mv characteristic. But with a multiple reform move, ie 4 forward, reform, then the remaining move would be limited to the amount of move remaining to the unit, though they could reform after this so long as no model has moved more than double its base mv of 8.

I believe the movement rules for warhammer specify that no model may move further than its total movement characteristic under any circumstances, unless marching, or charging. Even in a reform a model may not exceed its total move value, the only possible exception i am really aware of is the requirement that characters must be placed in the front rank, unless dodging a challenge. This usually means if a character clips the back of a unit it wishes to join it is moved to the front of said unit, i.e. moving more than its permitted distance.

My rulebook has recently been returned so i'll have a close read and see if I can find a definitive answer and get back to you
    Last edited by M'muth; December 4th, 2007 at 06:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm working from home and my office is also my library...
    Reform is on page 14 and specifies twice movement, or 8" for skellies.
    There is no mention of marching.
    In the TK book it says you can't march but it doesn't say anything about max movement.

So I think a 20 long line would be OK but something REALLY huge could have a problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aon14 View Post
    I'm working from home and my office is also my library...
    Reform is on page 14 and specifies twice movement, or 8" for skellies.
    There is no mention of marching.
    In the TK book it says you can't march but it doesn't say anything about max movement.

So I think a 20 long line would be OK but something REALLY huge could have a problem...
    Seems i've been doing it above board then, thanks for the confirmation. Page 70 seems to confirm the way i've been moving my chariots also is by the book.
    After playing TK"S for about a year now I don't think i could play another army, they're just so much fun and different to the other warhammer races. My biggest concern with the long lines is being charged by a fast moving unit or a character with enhanced movement, fortunately i've learn't to look out for those saurus heroes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep u are indeed correct my bad!

HEX
    How do you expect to defeat me when I am forever and you are just a man...

+ Reply to Thread