Character Setup Comparison - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Character Setup Comparison

Reading through the comments regarding which character to take as your general i was thinking that as with so many things in the TK list it is more important to assess the overall character selection synergy rather than the individual lord and how it will effect the army.

The two setups i am comparing are the two that are most magically potent and arguably the most common. I have chosen these because they generate the most power dice for the chosen lord in 2k. The three factors i am comparing are incantations/turn, power dice and dispel dice.

HLP - TP - LP - LP

No. of incantations/turn: 5
    No. of Power Dice: 11
    No. of Dispel Dice: 6

TK - LP - LP - LP

No. of Incantations/turn: 5
    No. of Power Dice: 8
    No. of Dispel Dice: 5

So looking at the stats it shows that the HLP is magically more potent (big surprise there) with a greater number of power dice, the LHP's incantations are more likely to go off, however the TK list is capable of casting exactly the same number of incantations per turn. In terms of dispel dice the difference is negligible. Our dispel dice must be used with caution anyway to stop the most tactically damaging spells as we can deal with the effects of direct damage in our own phase by raising.

I think this illustrates that taking a HLP setup for greater magic defence is not well justified unless he is loaded with scrolls (which i believe is a waste of points that could be better spent on other things). Offensively the HLP will only provide better magic value against an army with many dispel dice, tzeentch daemons, dwarves and orc and goblin armies carrying the magic dispel dice banner. One significant plus he does have is that he can cast all the spells in the list rather than MWBD incantations.

As a character the HLP is useful in only one turn of the game however and can be very vulnerable, the TK is not the most powerful offensive character in the game but he sure can pack a wallop in the combat phase and as well as casting he takes a while to kill, T5 W4 means he's in for the long haul.

Finally though, if you take into account the points differential, the TK setup is 60 pts cheaper, the TK supplies the potential for S7, for instant killing of chariots, the ability to take chariots as core and to give one skellie unit a magic banner and these combined effects make the TK list more competetive. Core Chariots free up special slots which contain our best troops and the BotUL in a unit of skellies is immense at soaking up an enemy dispel die (of course you could take an icon bearer for this in a HLP list if you wanted too... ).

Of course there are advantages to the HLP setup, but i think I will be sticking with my Liche Priest retinue and my King with his DoE, c'mon shaggoth and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

HEX

How do you expect to defeat me when I am forever and you are just a man...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Nice post, very balanced and well laid out. Rep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I pretty much agree, and favour the King setup though a lot of that is because I find the chariots very useful as core. I don't run 3 priests though, I run King, Prince, and 2 priests. If you add the jar and perhaps a bound item it becomes quite potent enough in the magic phase and gives your army 2 quite decent combat characters to support the units.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Hmm, ive just had a thought. I did try my lis before with TK TP LP LP. The Prince was in a Chariot, and in the two games i used him his paper chariot and rubber weapon did nothing. I wonder though, i may look at swapping out a Priest for a Prince on foot to join my other skellies. Hmmm... *goes to rewrite list*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for feedback and rep guys!

I run King, Prince, and 2 priests. If you add the jar and perhaps a bound item it becomes quite potent enough in the magic phase and gives your army 2 quite decent combat characters to support the units.
    I agree completely, i started out with this list of characters and it served me pretty well with plenty of bound items thrown in, the TP will certainly stiffen the combat prowess of my other archer unit. My only issue i found was the lack of characters able to cast raise. The BotUL can compensate a little bit but i suppose it depends which way you play. I need the summoning ability to compensate for the lack of armour in the skellie blocks. They do die in droves after all...

i may look at swapping out a Priest for a Prince on foot to join my other skellies. Hmmm... *goes to rewrite list*
    You know what i think i might join you another mummy might make my opponent see my other archer unit in a different light.

HEX

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

were did archers come into this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LOTHAR-HEX View Post
    You know what i think i might join you another mummy might make my opponent see my other archer unit in a different light.
    Exactly what i was thinking...

Dont want to impede, im gonna take this to a new thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a DoE king and three priests and have had great success with the list. My friend is getting into fantasy and has purchased quite a bit of my spare tk stuff and is looking at going with TK, Prince, and two priests, to compensate for the slightly weaker magic he is using a casket which should serve him well. My main complaint about the LHP is his vulnerability to dispell scrolls, the lack of chariot core and no BotUL on a slellie block

As for archers, 20 of them with BotUL, and a DoE king really is a fantastic unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by M'muth View Post
    I run a DoE king and three priests and have had great success with the list. My friend is getting into fantasy and has purchased quite a bit of my spare tk stuff and is looking at going with TK, Prince, and two priests, to compensate for the slightly weaker magic he is using a casket which should serve him well. My main complaint about the LHP is his vulnerability to dispell scrolls, the lack of chariot core and no BotUL on a slellie block

As for archers, 20 of them with BotUL, and a DoE king really is a fantastic unit
    I may have to try that. I've run skeleton archers before, and the only time they've proved useful is when they shoot at Waywatchers in wooded terrain. Aside from that, they rarely do anything useful except hold a table quarter at the end of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey sorry about crossing the streams guys my mind does wander aimlessly at times lol

HEX

+ Reply to Thread