Problems with ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with ogres

So i just played my friend again and lost once more to his Ogre army. He had a few bulls, 3 Ironguts two butchers, a hunter, and Scrag with 4 gorgers. Now I dunno how to properly kill that army or ogres in general. I've come close to defeating OK but this scrag army is now clearly killing me.

I had TK with collar/Flail of Skulls (Killed scrag)
    TP
    2x LP Kanopi cloak jar

3x Chariots(Held up for a couple turns killing one bull)
    19x Skeletons S/LA
    24x Skeletons S/LA/Undying Legion
    4x Ushabti
    2x Scorp
    CoS
    SCC

Now i though that was a good list, but maybe i deployed just off and had poor rolls to make my loose by a bit. Also, does the kanopi work once or throughout the battle? And can i use my "power dice" to dispell OK buffs? Well with the kanopi and situation i was in i sadly could not dispell any of his buffs and was outmagic'd. ANyways any suggestions to defeating OK/Scrag.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kanopi works every turn, and your 2 power dice can be used for dispeling.
    I play a friend that has an OK army. He doesn't use Scrag, but I think thats just a matter of time. I play a LHP army, though I am about to start using Khalida. Anyway, I have LHP and 2 LP, I also add the staff of ravening. I also tend to play 3+ player games.
    That being said, I seldom kill ogres. Anytime I take out his army its the combat res. Its a little more difficult, as they cause fear, but out number and ranks usually win it for me.
    The CoS earned a place in my heart because of OK, as the first turn I had it my opponent had to use 2 dice for the first time and miscast :-) Definate keeper against a 3+ spell army.
    My big problem is Lead Belchers. These can whipe a block of warrior(or the lead belchers themselves)
    Place you stationaries away from the edges for the gorgers. Also, its good to have a block unit close by that can charge them. A couple swarms that are deployed can do this pretty cheaply and poison attacks walk right past OK defenses.
    Lastly, SSCs should have SotF, as the OK Ld of 7 drops to 6 which means they are more likely to fail then hold. Ld plays a big role in anti OK tactics for TK, since we are unlikely to take many down otherwise. There is nothing better than watch one unit after another break and run.
    Hope this helps, and best of luck.
    Last edited by CrimsonWraith; June 7th, 2008 at 08:32.
    For the greater good, my will be done!
    Tau- 4k~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tomb Kings- 2.5k
    Thousand Sons- 1850 ~~~~~Night Goblins- 900

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Gah! I played vs Scrag over Easter, and lost. 1st Defeat in a long time. Atleast youre only facing 4 Gorgers!

It is a real pain of a list to fight.

You need the SSC and the Casket is good for damage. Aim the SSC at Scrag, he has no ward. Finish him off in combat with Ushabti, worked for me Or the TK as you did. Scrag himself is easy to kill, its the Gorgers that hurt.

Scorps are almost useless vs Orges, keep them either side of your Casket/SSC, facing back, waiting to charge any Gorgers that arrive.

Get some Carrion in. a unit of 3 or 5 if you can, and go for the Flying irritation, march blocking. Dont charge ogres, they die.

even out your skellie units, 2 units of 22ish.

And yes, the Kanopi can be used each turn, and you get 2 basic Power Dice just like every other army to dispel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archers work surprisingly well v ogres, never leave home without one unit. As metioned, either use scorpions for war machine defence or set them up undergroun about 12 from your opponents base line, in the flank they annoy ogres alot, swarms do an even better job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On ICFB, keep in mind that ogres move fast. Placing markers in the middle is not a bad idea. Keep in mind that they will have 1-2 turns AT LEAST of movement before your ICFB shows up. You don't want to spend the whole game having you scorp or swarms chasing ogres.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just like to point out that if you face gnoblars, yes they block line of sight, ogre's are not counted as large targets, and gnoblars aren't small. read the rules, it is silly and illogical but is rules. also any ogre unit can outrun any TK unit as long as the TK unit isn't within charging range. the CoScauses terror so is the only thing making ogre's scared so take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, well thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I was thinking of maybe putting the mask of terror on a prince so he can have the foe take terror tests. Might help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that since the Ogres cause fear themselves, they only take fear tests for terror.

+ Reply to Thread