How to beat High Elves? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat High Elves?

So I've beaten a 1.5k Vampire Counts army, a Chaos Warriors army that had 500 more points than me (in a 2k match), and a Chaos Daemon army with 250 points more than me (which is a fair difference in a 1k match) - yet after a dozen battles I haven't yet beaten the same High Elf player. In fact, I've barely wounded more than a dozen men each match before he's annihilated me. Their weapon skill is too great, and as he marches his forward in a straight line it's hard to get flank charges. Plus his bolt throwers are brutal on my skeles. Many thanks for any advice.

~Ease~

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Chariots for the win, as impact hits go before the ASF!
    Also use carrion to go after the bolt throwers, with t4 and skirmish they can probably take a round of shooting and still be okay for the charge.
    In terms of combat the scorpion is ace versus HE as it has high T, and is pretty manouverable!
    For more specific advice you could post roughly the list he is using and I can come up with something more specific for you?
    Arms are an instrument of evil, No measure for thoughtful men until there fail all other choice but sad acceptance of it.
    Sun-Tse : The art of war

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

What does your army look like also?

Basically, use Chariots as HE have poor saves, send them crashing in to the small HE units, head on eve, and kill the elves before they get a chance to ASF.

Carrion, Scorps and Swarms (as above) use magic for turn 1 Charges, and ICFB, to get into combat with Warmachine crew, lone mages, and eventually into the rear of enemy units.

SSC, use this to make units flee, and to get a good number of kills on units. Practise range guessing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, this is a little different hehe. I actually play both TKs and High Elves..every now and then ill play my TKs while a friend plays my HEs, and I've never had a hard time beating them. Personally I am sick of playing my HEs because I feel that they are terrible vs undead lol, I have never not been massacred against VCs and im sure TKs would do the same vs me.

ASF can be a bitch, and if sword masters can be really really nasty against undead. What I like to do is focus all fire on the sword masters, they only have leadership 8 and trust me..and I know this from experience..They WILL fail a fear test at least once or twice a game. If they take a lion standard then obviously they are fine when it comes to fear tests, so try to fire you're SSC on them as well, get good at guessing range because elves are only toughness 3, so you will be wounding on 3s with the SSC, and with skulls of the foe they are taking a panic test on a 7, 9 with a lord.

I find that destroyer of eternities is key vs elves, as a strength 7 attack auto hitting 3 models with toughness 3 will rape even the nastiest high elf unit. If you're opponent goes with dragon princes, try to go after those with the Tomb King's unit, and definitely have the reform banner with them so you do not get flanked. Dragon Princes are 30 points each and fall like dominoes to a str 7 attack. With a heavy magic list you should be able to unleash the power of the DoE twice a turn, which takes down a unit of elves sooooooooo fast.

Try to take a couple bound items in you're list maybe to make sure you can get those dispell dice out so that you have a better chance to land smiting on you're TKs unit, and eventually get a couple rounds off with the casket of souls.

Lone models die very fast to skellie archers, so keep an eye out for them.

Lastly like Phoenix said, send something after the bolt throwers, I can't comment on carrion because I have never used them yet, but Tomb Scorpions are freaking amazing at taking out shooting lines or rear flanking spearmen, and swarms are one of my new favourite units

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to get army lists up tomorrow. Fought the High Elves today, again, and lost horrifically once more. Fielded two SSC's and managed to take out a unit of spearmen with them. He fielded four bolt throwers, which I tried to stop with Carrion but stupidly made one unit of 10 instead of two units of 5 so I couldn't occupy all of them...

I'm pretty ace at guessing ranges, in fact never been more than an inch off so far, but that alone doesn't insure a hit.

However, each time I face him I lose by a bit less, so perhaps he's just more experienced than I and I'm slowly gaining on him. Anywho, will post army lists tomorrow. Many thanks for all the advice so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a 2000pt battle, he has (approx.)

10 Swordmasters,
    20 White Lions,
    2 x 10 Sea Guard,
    1 Dragon Prince,
    2 x 10 Spearmen
    1 Lion Chariot.

That's a rough estimate, as I don't have his army book on me, and he's never let me see his roster sheets.

Against that I would field,

20 x Skeleton Bowmen
    1 Tomb Swarm
    2 x 5 Light Horsemen
    19 x Grave Guard with a Tomb Prince,
    6 x Chariots, inc. Tomb King.
    Liche Priest
    2 x Scorpions
    2 x SSC

Though sometimes I swap the grave guard for some more scorpions and another core unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Im struggling to see where it's going wrong!
    six chariots might just be a bit too wide for this kind of game, but he has nothing that can S7 them out of the game so that is an immense killy unit. The king has the flail of skulls right? That unit can take any of his units and just run it over in a one to one combat.
    Whats in the tomb guard unit? are you using the icon of Rakapeth? Very useful on tomb guard units!
    Might be worth looking at fielding the king on foot with the destroyer of eterneties and the prince in the chariots with a chariot of fire? just don't chuck him at the dragon princes!
    You could use another liche priest too, just to get the most out of your magic phase - remember that drain magic has no effect on your spells!
    Get a look at that roster too, make sure he isn't 'fortunately' having magic items exactly where they are needed!
    Arms are an instrument of evil, No measure for thoughtful men until there fail all other choice but sad acceptance of it.
    Sun-Tse : The art of war

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I can see (part of) the problem straight off. You really need a second Liche Priest, for the magic. Mount him, and give him the SoRav. Add him to 5 of the Light Cav, but lose the other 5.

Put the Prince in Chariot and the King with the TG. Run 2 units of 3 Chariots. Add the Prince to one, and if poss boost the other to 4. Banners on both, amybe the Sacred Eye magic banner for the Prince's unit.

If im being totally honest, id lose the TG too, replace them with Ushabti, get a second Skellie unit of 20 in and put the King there. Add the Prince to the other skellie unit and just run 2 units of 3 naked chariots.

With 2 Scorps AND a swarm, drop the swarm, or drop a Scorp and add 3 Carrion.

Youre lucky hes not clever enough to run a Tiranoc Chariot or two. The Lion Chariot must be attractive to him for some reason, and thats good for you Its slow... Hit it with your own Chariots or something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lion chariot is attractive to HE players against undead because it causes fear
    but whenever ive used it the player im fighting is smart enough to take that off the board asap, and I would advise on doing that as well, as a good roll on a SSC for wounds will blow it off the board fast.

I think the biggest problem in the list for you will be the white lions as they are very durable against tomb kings shooting. I am sure he probably has the lion standard(immune to fear and terror) in that unit, so the best way of slowing it down is SSC, and stone throwers ignore armour saves, so the lion claok means shit. DON'T hit the white lions yer scorps, as they will be hitting them and wounding them on 3s. Instead with the scorp, go after spearmen and seaguard on the rear flank, also i would consider increasing the size of you're tomb swarm unit to 3-4 and go after the swordmasters with them. They can hold those things up for several turns.

What heroes/lords does he run? Also u put down that he has 1 dragon prince, do u mean 1 unit or just 1 model?(which would be odd)..just curious because they have a minimum unit size of 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I can see (part of) the problem straight off. You really need a second Liche Priest, for the magic. Mount him, and give him the SoRav. Add him to 5 of the Light Cav, but lose the other 5.
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. 4 Bolt throwers will destroy this unit in a round and its virtually free vps that hurt the tk alot with their loss. Add the priest to a foot unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast