New to tomb kings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

New to tomb kings

I been kinda collecting them for a few years sence they came out, but I have a decently sized army so far and I was wanting to know whats worth taking. I kinda wanted to make a khalida army useing a ton of bowmen and a catapult. Even if I don't use her I wanted to stay around the whole shooting thing. What do you guys think?

-Jen

Current Armys
    Tomb Kings, Marines, Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

1 - Check it! (A Beginners Guide to Tomb Kings) handy link there for you...

2 - Khalida is definitely one of the more viable special characters (in that she is balanced, and doesn't completely break the game... ahhh 6th ed...)

Ahem, yes, anyway, an army based around her usually consists of 2-4 large bow units, with 2 SSCs (or maybe 1 + casket if youd prefer) with other tactical units filling support roles (Scorpions, Carrion, Chariots (yes, these are Core choices with her) light cav, etc)

And even without her, a shooting based army is still viable. Admittedly you have no poisoned bows then, but your archers will be a bit cheaper, and using a normal King gives you a few more points for the rest of the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I'd get a box of the new VC skeletons and combine these with TK's heads. Perhaps even just buying the VC skellies and ordering bits form a site like bitzbox.co.uk. (Zema doesn't like the older skeletons)
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Thanks that link helps a lot Phoenix Looks like I need to invest in some more carrions hehe. For 2k points I was thinking of taking a SSC and a Casket, if I use khalida it's like having 2 SSC any how.

Zemaphore, I have enough skellys to choke a horse so I'm not buying them till I need about 5k points of an army lol. I've gotten 3 battle forces and 3 boxes of just skellys... this is all before they remodeled them for VC.

Just a few other questions about stuff...

Horsemen
    For the light horsemen, do you normaly equip them with spears or bows so I know how to glue them together. I was thinking bows, just want to make sure thats a competitive choice. Doing that I can use the spears they get on some skellys for more egyptian looking spears I know the guide says dont make them, but they look so cool, with 3 battle forces I think I can spare 20 to look cool lol I've already made a 20 skelly unit of scimitars and sheilds too.

Ushabi
    I also have about 7 Ushabi, they seem a lot like trolls. Is it worth takeing them? I realy love their models.

Priests
    I found a cool way to have more then one moedel for the priest, I've been useing the blood bowl heads and scarab armor peices for them. I'll have to find the one I painted and show it off. The blood bowl heads are great for them, cause they look like the different gods and what not.

Current Armys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Horsemen
    For the light horsemen, do you normaly equip them with spears or bows so I know how to glue them together. I was thinking bows, just want to make sure thats a competitive choice. Doing that I can use the spears they get on some skellys for more egyptian looking spears I know the guide says dont make them, but they look so cool, with 3 battle forces I think I can spare 20 to look cool lol I've already made a 20 skelly unit of scimitars and sheilds too.

For Cav, id advise using light (bows), in units of 5-6 they can make a nice support and tactical unit. Heavy Cav need to be in large units to be worth while, making them quite expensive. However, they can work, and as you have 24 Cav, maybe make 12 heavy and 2x6 light, to mix it up a bit Itll mean youll always have whatever you need too.
    Oh, and as for the skellie spearmen, go for it! If you like the look of them, just do it. Give them Full Comm and make them a display unit

Ushabi
    I also have about 7 Ushabi, they seem a lot like trolls. Is it worth takeing them? I realy love their models.

Ushabti are, quite simply, awesome! dont use 7 in a unit, too large, go with 4 max (3 in 1K or below if you like) Definitely a worthwhile unit at 2K and above though, they are the best combat anti armour TK have (Tomb Guard are actually not that brilliant for the role)

Priests
    I found a cool way to have more then one moedel for the priest, I've been useing the blood bowl heads and scarab armor peices for them. I'll have to find the one I painted and show it off. The blood bowl heads are great for them, cause they look like the different gods and what not.

Cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

Another word on the Ushabti: Crash them into a crowd of enemies from the flank, if you can manage, and get a Tomb Scorpion in the rear. This seems to get me good results. When they've been softened up, a Chariot charge can potentially break them, overrun them and get another charge into a unit behind in the same turn.

Phoenix, anybody else with more experience than me - is this tactic worthwhile, or have I just been lucky?

I also strongly recommend Tomb Scorpions.
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhankh View Post
    Another word on the Ushabti: Crash them into a crowd of enemies from the flank, if you can manage, and get a Tomb Scorpion in the rear. This seems to get me good results. When they've been softened up, a Chariot charge can potentially break them, overrun them and get another charge into a unit behind in the same turn.

Phoenix, anybody else with more experience than me - is this tactic worthwhile, or have I just been lucky?

I also strongly recommend Tomb Scorpions.
    Depends what the unit is really. If youre wasting all that potential on skaven slaves, then dont bother If its ironbreakers however, then good move.

Note your Scorp wont get the +2 ComRes for a rear charge, he is only US4, so tbh he isnt that necessary. And so long as you can get the Charge, Ushabti to the front should be fine so long as the Chariots go crashing it at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

539 (x8)

Priests

i love this idea! Any chance of you showing us how you did this? Sounds intriguing and Egyptian!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I have no idea where my bf put our camera so I'll use the gw pic instead lol...

Undead teams

The third from the left on the top, that head. Its a vulture kinda head with the need tomb kings necklace thingy. There's another one that they're not showing too, it's am aligator head with the necklace thingy. The're just the head too which is cool, I just snipped the head nub off a plastic skelly and put one of these ones on. Then used one of the extra standard poles to make him a staff, then stole a left had sword off the chariot sprue. One of the guys in our blood bowl league didn't like these heads for his team, so he gave them to me, I think about 4 came in the starter box. The blood bowl bodies are kinda neet to for different skellys, they have bracelets and anklets. If I find our camera I'll take a picture and post it here

-Jen

Current Armys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Note your Scorp wont get the +2 ComRes for a rear charge, he is only US4
    pretty sure (at school so don't have rule book here) that it doesn't matter the U/S to get bonus, you just don't negate rank bonus. will check when i get home and update acordingly
    Painting: 20 quarrelers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast