Librarium Online Forums banner

Best Ways to Beat the Vampire Count knock offs erm.. Tomb Kings?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  medic_4077 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm playing in a tournament soon and my first opponent is TK and I'm playing as Wood Elves ( it's 1000pts), I'm just looking for some advice in bringing them down I think I have a general game plan I'll put my list up later but any pointers, tips, things not to forget and advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Should I bring scrolls/magic defense or just ride the storm and snipe the casters

- Should I go combat heavy? I've heard tell the best way to beat TK in 1500pts or less is to swamp them with combat troops and snipe characters

-Best way to deal with chariots without Str. 7 units ?

- And what do you think I should worry about most ?

#2 ·
By the way, here is the list I'm thinking of taking

Heroes

Alter Noble – 158 points
Light Armour
Shield
Great Weapon
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow

Spell Singer - 140
2x Dispell Scrolls
Core Units

10 Glade Guard- 120 10 Glade Guard – 120

8 Drayds – 96 8 Drayds – 96

Special Units

7 WarDancers – 133
Musician

Rare Units

5 WayWatchers – 132

#3 ·
Fighting tomb kings at 1000pts you are already at an advantage, tomb kings don't really get strong until 2000pts when they have access to the lords.

That being said your main goal is to take out the Heirophant (the head Liche Priest) if you can do that as early as possible then it is a good start.

I notice that you are worried about chariots but in 1000pts there won't be many units of them as they are a special choice and with the points restrictions not many would be fielded. However wood elves have the advantage that they have wood elf long bows so at short range you will be wounding them on 4s and they only have 3 wounds... I find that it is best to think of chariots as ogres of sorts.

That being said things like Tomb Scorpians are something that you should worry about they are cheapish, fairly quick, tough and strong so be wary of these things. They would be one thing which you should worry about and I am not sure how you could deal with them in the list.

If you just stick with a hit and run away tactic of Wood Elves you should give them a good run for their money no matter what they have though...

Reactions: Jeremiah L.
#9 ·
Phoenix, I interpreted that he meant that he took three casters in his original list and the mods hammered that decision...

Jeremiah, you should really be a bit clearer about who/what you are responding to, hehe

#10 ·
i agree asking TK players how to kill themselves is kinda strange. Outside of taking enough magic to attempt to stop all the "spells" is a good idea. Also remember that your long bow is going to have the range on TK. TK can not march so if you play like most wood elves (aka run and hide) you should be able to stay away from TK archers and slower units. Another point would be to look at where scorps are planning to be coming in from and avoid those areas.

#11 ·
Some generalities:
-If you kill his Hierophant then each unit takes a crumble check each turn.
-Chariots take massive damage from difficult terrain (tree singing can really hamper his movement)
-Losing combat to fear causing units that outnumber you really sucks and he'll be trying to do just that to you since your Ld is only 8. Be wary of his ranked units.
-One Tomb Scorpion can easilly kill two units of 10 glade guard given enough turns. Two scorpions at the same time will positively ruin any single unit you have taken.
-Screaming Skull Catapults are magical attacks that ignore forest spirit saves

Devise a counter for these and you'll be ready for some of the better things in his aresenal, although I'd be surprised if he ran chariots at 1000 points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.