Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
As far as monstrous types go this guy seems like a sure choice, Armour save, +1 to combat res and all the stats to accompany that plus unstoppable assault .. however I rarely if ever seem him in the lists here.. am I missing something? or is it not worth it?
I faced one in a recent tournament, and he really is pretty beastly. If his unstoppable assault goes over well, then he's worth his points. If not, then he might be a little pricey.
To be honest, the reason that you probably don't see them often, is that they are one of the more difficult models in your army to build. And for the least gain- they are really pretty ugly in my opinion, and expensive as they are all metal.
I think it's a matter of cost effectiveness. For the points of one Bone Giant you can get two fully upgraded Screaming Skull Catapults. Our lack of speed (without magic) means the giant spends that much longer exposed to cannons, bolthrowers, etc that will kill him before he ever reaches combat.
That and with his less then stellar WS the Unstoppable Assualt becomes an iffy matter. Sometimes it will perform astoundingly and others it will whiff badly. He competes with a couple of awesome choices for the rare slot which also hurts his odds of being taken.
Do not question the dice gods for their wrath is swift and terrible.
I've always overlooked him on account of his poor WS, making the unstoppable assault rule pretty stoppable.
I have up unitl now chosen catapults.
However I am thinkign of using him in an all chariot / mounted force to hold a flank.
Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...
i personaly love my giant. i play a construct list so i have 2 scorps, a BSB with 4 Ushabti (+1 hit banner) and giant all on one flank with the proximity to BSB they loose alot less in CR and make a hard hiting unit.
Painting: 20 quarrelers
Few simple reasons really:
- for the same points as 1 BG, you can get 2 fully upgraded SSCs! (ok, actually, for half the points cost, you can gte 1 fully upgraded SSC, as then they take up the same number of rare slots lol)
- A few good shots from Cannons, Bolters, or anything else ranged and multi wounding, high strength and denying amour saves, will drop it all to quickly.
Indeed. I've had two experiences in which I faced one:
1) Got shot down by my Cannon, if memory serves.
2) My memory is more vivid on this one. My unit of Spearmen (who's Detachment had miserably failed a Countercharge) were in combat with some Skellie warriors, and a Bone Giant charged their flank. Said Spearmen unit managed to beat back both assailants (without their Detachment) by CRes and actual wounds, and both units died eventually, leaving me to finish off the characters.
I think that everyone has made most of the valid points.
1) Being a monster he is the target of all war machine fire.
2) Being a TK monster he is incredibly slow, meaning more time to be a war machine target
3) His point cost is not comparative to his battlefield prowess(especially when compared to other Rare units)
4) SSC's are sooooo good as to be almost mandatory and Bone Giants just come in last when ranking the Rare's.
I think a point change and WS change in the next army book will make him a more viable choice. Also if he or other rare choices change their slots in the new book that will make him better as well.
On a side note when is the new book to be released?
"Ah, but the truth is like an expensive whore, Jerek. She comes in many dresses and will bend over for any with the money to pamper her." ~ Konrad von Carstein
I think it's either late this year or early next.