Painting Chariots (Quickly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Hello All,

I wanted to put a quick painting guide together for chariots, not because I'm good painter - far from it actually.

I thought it would be a good way to compare styles and perhaps for me to steal some good ideas from the rest of you out there.

I have two young kids so painting time is limited to 30 minutes here and there, once the house work is done.

It will be my first time using the new foundation paints and washes - although I'm waiting on these arriving through E-Bay.

I'll put down my stages and let the rest of you add in where you see fit. I hope some new players may find this useful...

I'm expanding my current regiment of 3 up to 5 so First things first here is the current chariot

01 current.jpg

I need to use the new foundation paints and washes to get as close to this as possible

Assemble the chariot as normal leave off the spears and Quiver holders (I'll go back and do them later)

Like wise the crew can be done later

Don't glue the wheels on

I've used a magnet to attach the standard to the chariot, this way I can remove for storage, losing standards and points savings.

Flock the chariot base and give a good spray of Skull white.

I've painted the base of the chariot Calthan Brown - A bit darker than my usual Snakebite leather colour

02 Sprayed.jpg

Drybrush the base of chariot with bleached bone, I'd painted the brown on the night before so I can do this step now, if you've just painted the brown on wait until it's dry before drybrushing - I use a tank brush for drybrushing big bases like this - very quick!

Now paint the Red sections of the chariot with Mechrite red, don't worry about being neat just get the paint on evenly and into all the fiddly corners.

03 mechrite red.jpg

Now paint the wheels, chariot trim and front spike with brazen brass.

I've also painted the bottom bracket and the hanging skulls on the standard with brazen brass

Don't worry about being neat, get a good even coat but If you slip on to the red we'll sort it out later.

This is the way I paint, messy until the last few stages...

04 brazen brass.jpg

Paint the Icon on the front of the chariots main body with regal blue.

Concentrate on covering the whole area rather than avoiding the red paint - we need to give the red another coat anyway.

05 Regal Blue.jpg

Now give the details a coat of shining gold paint. the ends of the chariot yoke, the bands along the chariot shaft and the skull at the point where the shaft meets the icon.

Similairly repeat this paint job on the icon.

06 shining gold.jpg

Now take a break, we need to let the paint dry.

Tonight my plan is to put a second coat on the gold, red and brass sections but I'll begin to highlight the icon.

With the second coats we can begin to get a bit neater.

Last edited by Phoenix; February 10th, 2009 at 11:38. Reason: Request by User
    Finally getting round to finshing my Tallarn Imperial Guard Army (2K)
    Everything else has been sacrificed on the Altar of eBay...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Wow. Way to grind up your post count by replying to yourself.

Ive merged them so the topic itself can be concentrated on, and not the layout. Personally it looked fine to me as individual posts, better than the merged version lol. Phoenix.
    Last edited by Phoenix; February 10th, 2009 at 11:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thought it would be easier to do a step by step guide that way.

Why is there some sort of problem with doing that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double posting is generally frowned upon in any forum. You can always go back and edit your original if you cannot get it all in one post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

OK.

Clearly I've made a tremendous faux pas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I've managed to get two painting sessions in since monday only 20mins a piece but it has let me do the next steps on the painting.

The first session on monday was unfortunately the boring one.

I went over most of my colours again. I find most colours need a second coat, I know it's tedious but it does help the finished look.

Try and be a bit neater with this one and you can cover over most of 'slips' from our messy first coat.

Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg

Repest this for the brazen brass, regal blue and shining gold. If your paints are like mine the metallics tend not to take too well after only one coat so they can really do with going over.

Use this second coat to neaten things up.

Again on Tuesday night I only had about 20 minutes but I managed to start some of the more intersting detail bits. I started building up the colours on the two icons.

The plan is to paint over the regal blue with a coat of hawk turquoise, leave the regal blue in the recesses to give the icon some depth.

When it comes to the skulls I don't pick out a lot of detail, I just use the side of the brush and drag it over the eyes and mouth to just paint the highest areas.

Picture 004.jpg Picture 005.jpg Picture 006.jpg

Now I've got to wait a until my new washes arrive, but the next step will be to wash the red with Baal Red then find equivalent washes for chesnut ink to do the Brass and Gold and an equivalent to Brown ink to do the steeds.

+ Reply to Thread