Brand New Tomb Kings Player NEED LOTS OF HELP PLEASE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand New Tomb Kings Player NEED LOTS OF HELP PLEASE

Hi everyone. I just recently decided to collect a second army (my first being Dark Elves).
    I was about to chose Daemons of Chaos, when my gaze fell across the icon of the Tomb Kings codex. Immediately I fell in love with the Tomb Kings, although I dont know precisely why i love them.
    Anyway, they seem to me to be an army with a lot of potential. I have spent many days reading every topic I can about Tomb Kings. I think I have a prelimary army list made, although I would like to see your opinions if it is possible. Constructive crticism is welcome!

Lord

Memphet III

Tomb King
    - General
    - Destroyer of Eternities
    - Collar of Shapesh

Heroes

Tomb Prince
    - Great Weapon

Liche Priest
    - Cloak of Dunes
    - Heiratic Jar
    - Heirophant

Liche Priest
    - Casket of Souls

Core Units

Skeleton Warriors (2O)

Skeleton Warriors (2O)
    - Musician

Chariots (3)

Chariots (3)

Special Units

Ushatbi (4)

Tomb Guard (2O)
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Banner of the Undying Leigon

Rare Units

Casket of Souls

Screaming Skull Catapult

My main tactic is the typical counter charge style. I set up the Casket in plain sight (ofc ), with the SSC off to the side. The Archers are on either side of the Casket. Behind the archers are the Ushabti and Tomb Guard, my hammers. The chariots are next to the archers. I utilize the archers, with a TK and TP in each unit, to shoot my enemy a lot. The SSC brings my enemy to me, and i use the priest in the casket to shoot with it twice. Once my enemy is near, reform the archers into two combat blocks. The ushabti and tomb guard charge the flank, and the chariots charge the rear. Static combat resolution + DoE plus flank and rear attack and I should win.

This is all theoretical ofc, and I am wondering what your opinions are? Any help is welcome.

Balthazar

Last edited by Balthazar6969; April 10th, 2009 at 01:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Looks like a decent start. You may want to place a standard with every infantry block. Combat Res. is what keeps TK units going.

Just think about who you will be playing against. You may want to think about bumping up the skellie and TG unit sizes. (drop a chariot unit or a skellie block maybe) Fear is your friend against armies susceptible to psycology, causing autobreak if you outnumber them in CC. Also think about a Tomb Scorpion for enemy warmachine hunting. Your SSC will be wanting to focus on troop blocks, not warmachines.
    Last edited by MC Bone Giant; April 10th, 2009 at 02:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey mate

Decent list, Couple of things tho...

How are your skeles armed? you mention archers in your tactics.... are both archer units? I personally run with one unit of 30 HW/shield and 20 archers. If either of your units are melee I agree with MC - you need to increase their size.

The same goes for chariots, you would be better off with one unit of 5, than two of 3 (you can use the points for extra skellies and maybe some banners?)

Also I notice you have no dispell scrolls.... given how some of the newer armies destroy the magic phase you might want 1 or 2 if possible.

Oh and finally.... I don't see a tomb scorpion...

Gero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies!
    To answer your question, both of the skeleton units are archers. I could increase the size of them, but I dont think shields are that good of an idea, mainly because a 6+ armor save is not really that helpful to my skeletons anyway. Most people have told me that skeletons with bows fight about as well as skeletons with shields. Thats just my opinion though.

Secondly, I agree that I need a Tomb Scorpion, but I dont know where to take points from :p

Also, isnt a unit of 5 chariots unwieldy? Can 5 chariots actually be in base contact with the enemy at once? If not, it just seems like a waste of points.

All of your ideas are good, I just dont know where to remove points from...

If you could advise me on that, I would be grateful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this be a better list, you think?

Lord

Memphet III

Tomb King
    - General
    - Collar of Shapesh

Heroes

Tomb Prince
    - Great Weapon

Liche Priest
    - Cloak of Dunes
    - Heirophant

Liche Priest
    - Casket of Souls
    - Dispel Scroll

Core Units

Skeleton Warriors (24)
    - Standard Bearer

Skeleton Warriors (24)
    - Standard Bearer

Chariots (3)

Chariots (3)

Special Units

Ushatbi (4)

Tomb Guard (2O)
    - Battle Standard Bearer

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Rare Units

Casket of Souls

Screaming Skull Catapult

This is now a 2250 point list ^^. I am pretty sure I can easily convince my friends to play a 2250 points list ^^.
    It is true what they say: Tomb Kings are far better with more points.
    Last edited by Balthazar6969; April 10th, 2009 at 11:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, in respone to the points you raise - skeles with shields actually have 4+ saves in close combat assuming u give them LA. now, for a unit of 30 strong that come right back when u kill them 4+ is very nice. Theyre not there to do damage, theyre there to soak it up so your hard hitting units (TS etc) can take the flank and such.

Secondly i apologise for not explaining the chariots.

3 chariots vs anyone that shoots = zero chariots by about turn two if your not careful. The reason you have 4-5 chariots is not to get 5 into combat, its to get your original 3 into combat. Your chariots only have T4 remember.... theyre gonna get nailed.

And by the way, if they are archers, then your starting unit of 20 was fine, they shoot in ranks of 10 then reform if they need to enter combat to get 3 ranks for resolution.

Hope it helps mate, fire away if you have further questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help everyone!
    I was hoping to keep the chariots behind the archers for most of the game, until the enemy comes near, with the tomb Guard and Ushabti off to the sides. The Ubshabti are too tough to be shot to pieces in one single turn (Invocation of Summoning ftw), and the Tomb Guard will be very difficult to kill with the Standard of the Undying Legion. When the enemy gets close, the archers reform, and the ushabti position themselves so as to charge the flank, the Tomb Guard Likewise, and the Chariots so that they can charge the rear in the magic phase.

On a different note, about multiple combats:

Suppose I have a unit of 20 archers with the Tomb King attacking a unit of... Dark Elf swordsmen. I have the Tomb Guard attacking the side and a Chariot unit attacking the rear.

Suppose my skeletons do no wounds, my tomb king does 5 (DoE ftw ^^). The Tomb Guard do 3 wounds and the chariots do 4 with impact hits and 1 with attacks. Now, for combat resolution:
    Do I add 5 from King + 3 from Guard + 5 from chariots + 4 from Skelly ranks and Banner + 4 from Guard ranks and banner + 1 for flanking and +2 for rear? For a total of 24?
    Additionally, do i add 1 to the entire combat resolution for outnumbering? or 1 for each unit that outnumbers? Finally, suppose the Dark Elves initially have 40 swordsmen (unlikely, I know, but bear with me.) Do i count my total number to troops to see if he is outnumbered and breaks automatically? Or I do only check each unit seperately?

I know that is a lot of calcualtion, but It is kind important for me to know :p (Tomb Kings rely a bit on math ^^)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

As for chariots, 5 is a bit unwieldy. The most I would do is 3, 4 if you have a Tomb Prince in a chariot. If you were doing a more offense oriented list, I'd suggest putting a tomb prince in a chariot with the Spear of Antarhak. Allows you to recover some wounds . If you are hanging out with your chariots in the backfield waiting for counter-charges, you may recieve some long range fire. Just stay far away from S7 shots. Just realize the longer you keep your chariots out, the less time they will have to earn their points back.

As for your combat res question...
    Thats a lot of stuff you having going on. Looks like your math is good. I usually break it down by placing dice on the board while totaling it all up and compare it to the opponent's. For the outnumbering, you count all units involved in combat and add compare with the enemy. If you outnumber and win combat, they break unless they roll insane courage or if they have immune/stubborn. Thats why it always pays to have large block sizes. My brother always bumps up his Empire infantry block sizes when he plays my TK so its harder for the outnumber.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar6969 View Post
    It is true what they say: Tomb Kings are far better with more points.
    Lol, indeed... purely on the basis that we can use everything at our disposal and the army begins to gel nicely.

List looks good (looking at version 2). Id say... drop 4 skellies from each unit. Put the points into an SSC upgrade, music for the skellies and Full Command for the TG.

Depending where your King and Prince will be going, drop 1 man from one of their units to get the extra points needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like your math is good.
    Thanks, I study Astrophysics ^^

Lol, indeed... purely on the basis that we can use everything at our disposal and the army begins to gel nicely.

List looks good (looking at version 2). Id say... drop 4 skellies from each unit. Put the points into an SSC upgrade, music for the skellies and Full Command for the TG.

Depending where your King and Prince will be going, drop 1 man from one of their units to get the extra points needed.
    That reminds me, I need to publish my latest list ^^

Lord

Tomb King
    - Collar of Shapesh

Heroes

Tomb Prince
    - Great Weapon

Liche Priest
    - Cloak of Dunes
    - Heirophant

Liche Priest
    - Casket of Souls
    - Dispel Scroll

Core Units

Skeleton Warriors (19)
    - Standard Bearer

Skeleton Warriors (19)
    - Standard Bearer

Chariots (3)

Chariots (3)

Special Units

Ushatbi (4)

Tomb Guard (25)
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Champion
    - Musician

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Rare Units

Casket of Souls

Screaming Skull Catapult
    - Skulls of the Foe

So for the Chariots, should I charge with them straight away?
    Or maybe try to set something up with the Scorpions and Chariots with flanking and such.
    BTW, what is the unit strength of a tomb scorpion; 5?

EDIT

Coincidentally, my army is EXACTLY 2250 points!
    Last edited by Balthazar6969; April 10th, 2009 at 18:53.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast