Any reason I shouldn't/couldn't put my SSC on a base? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any reason I shouldn't/couldn't put my SSC on a base?

Just curious...

I was thinking of putting my newly assembled SSC on a cardstock base so that it would be less likely to tip, and so there would be more glue holding more pieces in more places. As all of you who have assembled an SSC know, I don't want this thing coming apart.

In addition, I want to put the pile o' skulls on the base, not on the throwing arm, along with a bunch of other piles made with spare plastic skulls. I'm also going to throw the vulture on a skull pile. I hate the look of it on the frame of catapult itself.

So anyhow, any problems game wise or rules wise with putting a big base under my SSC and dressing it up a bit? I'm thinking about a base roughly 1" larger than the SSC on all sides.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Curiosity AltheAlchemist's Avatar
    547 I'm Not Telling You Where i live street! in the town of Don't Even Try to Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Nope, no problems at all! I would put the SSC on a chariot base or something just a little bigger. The crew have their own bases so you would not need to put them on the base. So I think a chariot base will do. Also, I agree that the vulture looks kinda stupid. I guess I should put mine on a base when I finish assembling it... again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't even thinking a proper base, just a piece of fairly think plastic card stock. Something that wouldn't flex under the weight of the SSC.

I'm just paranoid that since I am new to the game, basing the SSC will give my opponent some huge in-game advantage that I haven't thought of!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Well, theoretically, units charging the SSC would just have to reach the base, instead of the SSC. If you consult the BRB pg 86, it tells and diagrams where you line up the crew when your warmachine holds for a charge. I imagine if you make the base of the scatapult extend the same distance of the crewmember base, when the opponent charges, he could just measure to the base, and if in range, you move the crew to the front and the enemy lines up to them. Of course, when he is lined up to the crew, which is lined up to the base, he would theoretically be a base width farther away than he should. (could keep him just out of range of another unit on an overrun move) Only if someone were really nitpicky would it be a problem, and if so, you could just measure from the base or whatever. If you were in a tourney you may have to play it "correctly" or just have the crew on the side and play it abstractly.
    So, in summary, I dont think its a big deal if you have a base on there. It will help out the model, and should be okay in pretty much all games. (and the other games, just know the rules if they really really want to play exactly as written. Of course, they may try to say the base is now part of the machine, and your troops line up in front of that, and the charge distance is now calculated to them, meaning he has to move 1/2 inch less to get a successful charge) Sorry for the long windedness. hah.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I used an old style small movement tray, with the edges shaven off:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...l-catapult.jpg

There is no difference in game, as the base fits its actual size nicely (with a little trimming) so it gives no advantage away as mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I use a spare chariot flight movement tray that I made out of balsa wood for my catapult.
    The tray is just a 1/4" thick piece of balsa that is 150x100mm in area - enough to fit three chariots on it. Gives plenty of space for the catapult and the three crew.

If your opponents try to charge the larger 'base' you can always caveaut that the base under your catapult is a 'movement tray' and not used for determining distances (charges/shooting/etc). In fact, I always point this out to my opponent beforehand.

King of Curiosity AltheAlchemist's Avatar
    547 I'm Not Telling You Where i live street! in the town of Don't Even Try to Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hey, it's way better safe than sorry. GW models are expensive. (as if you don't know) I learned this the hard way when I bought a Bone Giant and I made my skellies have spears! Oh well, the bone giant and the spear skellies do look pretty cool.

+ Reply to Thread