To war with Bretonnia - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To war with Bretonnia

G'day blokes,

So yeah, I'm off to war with a mate of mine that plays bretonnians in a few weeks and I was looking for tips on an army list (yes I know everyone asks this, but that's because the feedback is damn reliable!). It's a friendly game so we decided taht it's ok if we go over the points limit by 25 or so points 9hough I'd prefer to stick to it or under it). Oh, and, it's 1000 points each.

So here is what I've come up with so far(at this moment in time i havnt fully decided on the magic gear for the characters so)

TP on foot (joined to SW regiment)
    LP on foot (CoD)
    19 Skeleton warriors (HW/S, musician)
    SSC (SotF)
    TS
    3 Chariots

So that leaves me with around 180 points to play with. I'm aware I need another core reg to meet the rules but I'm just not sure what to go for? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers

P.S.- My mate is VERY new to the game and I'm relearning from a few year hiatus (back in 5th i played high elves). So it's not going to be tournament do or die extremity.
    Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

If the Bret Player takes one or more Damsels, this will seriously screw your magic offence, so id recommend a second Liche Priest, and mount him if poss. Then the only core you'll be able to afford is a Scarab Swarm.

However if you can ask him about his Character selection before hand, maybe see if you dont need that 3rd Priest and get another large skellie unit, maybe one with bows? Then add Music to both units and a Banner to the HW/S unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with something like:

HQ

TP: great weapon, collar

LP: CotD

LP: Mounted

CORE

19 SW: bows (prince)

20 SW: bows

SPEC

3 Chariots

1 TS

RARE

1 SSC: SotF

This is a fairly large shooty army and could hurt him a bit before he reaches you, and its 1014 points. Depends how strict you are with points boundaries.

If you prefer melee, just swap bows for shields for no extra cost and gain 5+ save in combat.
    Last edited by Fuzzyspuz; May 4th, 2009 at 15:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly i wouldn't even bother with the chariots for that game but that's me

i'd run,

2x SW with bows x10 160
    2x Tomb Scorp 170
    SSC w/skulls 110
    Prince 126/152
    either gw and collar, or crook and flail of radiance for declaring challenges when they charge you. and carry L.A.
    Priest 160
    CoTD and Hiero Jar is my favored combo for priests, but you may want the priest carrying a D.Scroll instead. but same cost in root
    so far if i took the crook and flail prince build i've used 752 points. the rest of my 1k i'd put into a skeleton warriors block.

a 24 block of skellies with L.a. shield HW and a command will cost 241 points. so you'd be at 993 points in your army. if you combined the two ten archers into one big 20 use the remainging points for a musician... even though i still don't find them useful sorry phoenix i just don't get to see it effective!
    My Soon2B DoC list below...Wip thread in the works
    http://tiny.cc/DoC2250

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Tkand View Post
    musician... even though i still don't find them useful sorry phoenix i just don't get to see it effective!
    Lol, no worries, each to their own!

You do make a very good point about Chariots though... possibly useless against Brets, something which i overlooked originally. Nice spot A second Scorp, or maybe soem Carrion for march blocking, would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's the list i base most of my armies against brets off of as i go up in points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any idea what sort of list he will be using? If he's using an all mounted force then i agree...chariots just don't pack enough punch against 2+ armor saves Scorpions will fare a bit better, just make sure you don't lose them to CR. Think you could squeeze in Ushabti at 1k points? haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scorpions have a little somethin that's great against the cavalry though, yay for poison and KB, charge em in and direct all their attacks at the heroes in the fighting ranks if they arent in challenges.

hopefully the catapult will one of the most destructive things in you army if you keep it firing on those heavy cavs... they will fail a ward save and take a panic check eventually!

i play a unit of 3 ushabti at 1500 but not as low as 1k too small a force for spell targets.

Helpful forenote: IGNORE men at arms and archers when it comes to your charges and movement, your better off pounding into the 1 maybe 2 cav units he will have at 1k. other things your archers can handle or scatter shots from the cat will mangle and they flee like beezles. whatever you do, don't let his cavalry charge you first!
    Last edited by Jin Tkand; May 5th, 2009 at 17:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree with no letting him charge you... if all else fails and he will charge you let him hit your SW and flank with TS that will hurt him alot.
    AVE SATANAS! TK 3k army (W/D/L)(2/1/0)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i normally set up my army as such.. these are both setups to basically make him come to you and you can counter his movements with flanks and spells.

___(if a hill)_________[Warriors]
    _____________[scorp]__________[scorp]
    [archers]______________________________[archers]

___________________[cat on hill]

_______(if no hill)

______________________[archers]_[archers]_____[
    [scorp][scorp]_[warriors]_______________________c
    _______________________________________________a
    ________________________________________________t
    _________________________________________________]
    Last edited by Jin Tkand; May 5th, 2009 at 18:08. Reason: had ot make my rank diagram work right :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast