Played my first two games with my TK yesterday. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Played my first two games with my TK yesterday.

Yesterday after work I had two games with my 1k list. I had altered it to take everyone's suggestions at fitting in a couple extra skeletons.

Both me and Undeadbonzi (my DE opponent) forgot to write down the actual turn by turn synopsis, but I'll try to give some highlights.

The first game was a massacre in the TK's favor, it really shouldn't have been since Bonzi helped me to remember a lot of stuff that I was forgetting, like rolling to see if my scorp came in, and shooting with a couple of my units. Things were looking a bit grim in the beginning couple turns as his magic was eating me alive, but some amazing dice rolls on my part and some terrible rolls on his meant that combats started going my way.

First my unit of chariots charged his 14 man corsair unit that housed his master and broke them on the charge, the chariots failed to run them down but hit them again the next turn and reduced them to 3 models.

My scorp came in on the second turn and flank charged a unit of Crossbowmen with shields and broke them and ran them down.

My unit of bowmen not containing the prince took a charge from some dark riders and fought like champs, killing 3 and auto breaking them. Then they charged my opponents other unit of corsairs containing a sorceress in conjunction with my Tomb Princes unit. Needless to say the poor corsairs didn't put up a very good show.

My SSC failed to do much of anything most of the game, I misfired once and was off with either my guesses or my scatter rolls. Up until the second to last turn when it was about to get charged by a unit of Cold One Knights, then I guessed accurately and got a direct hit on them, killing 3 of the 5. They didn't panic and still killed my SSC, though the next turn my prince's unit turned around and he Urgencied himself into their flank.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next game was a spectacular failure for the Tomb Kings.

My opponent changed up his list a bit, essentially he made enough changes to switch out one of his 2 corsair units for a unit of 20 warriors with full command and the warbanner. This units SCR would spell my doom.

I got first turn, set up in classic TK fortress style (SSC on hill, archer units out front, with Chariots guarding a flank.). Terrible things happened in the magic phase, my archers were out of range so I spent my incantations trying to cast smite on the SSC, first one was dispelled and the second one goes off. I guess the range perfectly and am hoping to drop some skulls right in the middle of his warrior unit. Unfortunately my SSC misfires and blows itself up.

some of the highlights of this game were his Crossbowmen holding up my scorp the entire game (after I forgot to roll to bring him in on the second turn that is)

his warriors + master laying the smackdown on my prince and his unit.

His corsairs + sorceress and dark riders laying into my other skeleton unit.

My Chariots bouncing off his CoK like a tennis ball off a brick wall. I know that the cardinal rule of TK chariots is that you don't aim them at heavy cav, but the CoK were about to flank charge my Prince's unit and I couldn't let that happen..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lessons I have learned.....

1. I need to get better at ranging my SSC shots

2. I need to remember the charge distance of Dark Riders so that I realize when to detach my Liche and when to reform into ranks.

3. I need to better grasp when a certain incantation would be most useful. This last one will come with playing more games I hope.

-Overall I had great fun, and TK's are probably the best army I have played in fantasy yet, even at 1k where getting a win is a feat.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you had a good couple of games.

Keeping it one all at 1K is pretty impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Had another game today, this time I used the exact 1k list I posted earlier (the one with the hieratic jar).

He used the following (as far as I could recall)

Master
    Crimson Death
    Armor of Darkness

Sorceress
    Level 2
    Tome of Furion
    Powerstone

14 Corsairs
    RhB's

20 Warriors
    Standard
    Warbanner

10 Repeater Crossbowmen
    Shields
    Musician

5 Dark Riders
    RxBs

5 Cold One Knights

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a draw but swung back and forth the whole game, I got first turn and promptly blew my SSC up again. It seemed like Bonzi was going to have a huge advantage at the beginning from that and some charges he had lined up.

I pulled a nice charge from my chariots out by having my Hierophant urgency himself into range of them, and then using the Hjar to urgency the chariots into his warriors. The chariots failed to break the warriors and got flanked my the CoK and destroyed. The good thing was that this set up my princes unit to get a flank charge in against his CoK, Which eventually led to the prince's unit destroying the CoK's and the unit of corsairs.

The warriors + Master also panicked fled from some lucky bowfire from my skellies. They then turned around, charged, and then killed the unit of flanking dark riders.

Things were really looking in my favor at this point, but on the Dark Elves 5th turn my hierophant was out in the open and got blown up by a doombolt cast on a 19 with 4 dice (damn those DE wizards that can throw any amount of dice at a spell!) some bad crumbles and my scorp getting beat by his crossbowmen after extended combat made for a draw.

At the end I had my prince, 15 skeletons in his unit, and a liche priest with 1 wound left. He had his master, 10 warriors, and his sorceress with 1 wound left.

unfortunately I wasn't able to practice my guessing ranges this game, but I am learning to play with this awesome army more and more.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Also, this week I am going to make a template and start printing out Batrep forms to make recording these easier, instead of just remembering highlights.

Hopefully very soon we will be moving up to 2k and I can start using my Liche High Priest and my Ushabti.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Good to hear you've had a positive start with your army You may want to talk nicely to that SSC.. ask it to live a bit longer next time. I hate 1st turn misfires lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

yeah it seems kind of sad that of my 3 games so far, my SSC has blown up twice on the first turn before even getting to the shooting phase.

I also have to say that the Hjar can be a game altering item, without it I honestly think I would have lost this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You and me both. I had my second game this weekend, got a smite off on my SSC in roudn one, perfect guess on my opponent's hydra (literally right on it's central head), rolled a hit on the scatter die and... a misfire. Rolled a one. Boom.

On the plus side, my Prince in chariot with LA and Spear of Antarhak held up an entire flank by himself for four turns, and then his curse killed 10 enemy models when he finally succumbed to CR when flanked by Dark Riders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played my 3rd game (1500pts) with tomb kings the other day, and scored my first tree wounds (on the enemy) with it. There seems to be some kind of curse on the art.dice when I roll for the SSC...

So far I have lost two and one draw. It seems that no TK unit (with the exeption of scorpions) can by it self win combat. I think that tomb kings are quite hard to master, but when things do come together it really kicks butt...
    "The ones with lingon och skit" - Andusciassus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Yeah, I had another two games against Undeadbonzi's DE's again.

I got massacred twice

In both games my tactics were sound and I made few errors (a couple bad guesses for the SSC out of 2 games and in the second game I forgot to bring in my scorp for two turns). The real issue was my dice rolls. I got a couple decent rolls, but I would say that 85% of my rolls were chalk full of fail.

Both games Bonzi was trying out a list with 2 sorcs, one with darkstar cloak. Needless to say he chewed me up quite a bit in his magic phases at times. In the second game my rolls were so terrible that the highest power level I rolled for an incantation came from my prince. I threw more snake eyes at incantations then you could shake a stick at.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Demandred View Post
    I threw more snake eyes at incantations then you could shake a stick at.
    Aww man.. thats really not the kinda thing you want, especially when you're starting out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also as many can quote me saying had lots of issues about my ssc blowing up all the time first turn..

but ironically, i got myself one of those GW dice cubes and started using the art dice in it... and since then i've been two months which is about 5 games a week at least with only one 1-3 turn implosion.

very nicely done with the urgency, hiero jar, urgency chariots. that's one of those clincher moves that if it you take the risk and blow it, you're more hosed then before.
    My Soon2B DoC list below...Wip thread in the works
    http://tiny.cc/DoC2250

+ Reply to Thread