Is it worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth it?

Hi, all! Been a while since last I posted in LO.

Just for shits and giggles, I'm making a very shooter-heavy Khalida list (2K points). I don't have the details all worked out, but I plan to have at least three blocks of 20 bow skellies, with some support troops.

All that said, my question is: is it worth the 1pt per model to add light armor to bow skellies? I the case of this particular list, that's 60 points - almost enough to pay for an Ushabti or Scorpion, or two Carrion. Will the added armor even do much in the long run? Or should I invest the points in the support troops?

Thanks in advance, folks!

PS
    Pheonix - I managed to find a way to get the Casket lid off (if you remember my earlier post on the converison idea: Casket Conversion Ideas (Casket Conversion ideas))

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the rough list. Keep in mind that it's a fun list, not really looking for summat too competitive. Definitely feel free to drop in any comments!

Khalida
    420pts

Liche Priest (mounted)
    Staff of Ravening
    168pts

Liche Priest (Heiro)
    Cloak of Dunes
    Plaques of MI
    165pts

Liche Priest
    Dispel Scroll x2
    165pts

20 Bow skellies (+2 points/model for Khalida's Asp blessing)
    200pts

20 Bow Skellies
    200pts

20 Bow skellies
    200 pts

Tomb Scorpion (x2)
    170pts

Screaming Skull Catapult
    Skulls of the Foe
    110pts

4 Chariots (+2 pts/model for Khalida's Asp Blessing)
    Full Command
    Banner of the Undying Legion
    203pts

Total comes to 2001 points.

I was thinking about bringing in the Casket, but that'd be too pricey in that I'd need to remove some of the support units.

My opponent will be fielding either HE or Brets.

Lemme know what you think!
    Last edited by Kaklz; June 12th, 2009 at 09:06. Reason: Added what opponent is fielding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it looks as really strong list as far a Khalida lists go although I think you would really benefit from having a hassling unit such as Light Cavalry or Carrion to slow the enemy down to help you get that extra round or two of shooting from your large blocks.

The only way I can really see to do this is by dropping a Chariot and the 'Banner of the Undying Legion', ( not a big fan of it on Chariots anyway but that purely personal taste), and then finding 5 points from else where to give you the 70 points needed for 5 Light Cavalry.

As far as your earlier post about light armour I can only ask you to never do this. The extra point on each skeleton can be spent much better elsewhere when added up and in genral your not going to make enough 6+ saves. Besides there are so many things out there right now that dish out strength 4 or better attacks that light armour is really only worth taking on mounted models with shields or infantry with shields for the added bonus.

Hope this helps a little

E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

It would almost be nice to have a second Scatapult in there since you are being very shooty. But it would also be nice to have some carrion/light cav to do some march blocking. As it always boils down to, so many choices, so few points. You may want to shave off a chariot. 4 is getting fairly big. That would help start freeing up points. You could shave a unit of skellies down and use them only for fire support. If they arent on the hill they only get to fire one rank anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

It is true... No armour on Bowmen But you should consider using musicians in each and every regiment of skellies.

I will be honest: Your list will not work on HE (I know, for they are my regular opponents ) unless you field some carrions (in a unit of 5-6 is good). Against brets though, they will not be as good.

When you go with a shooty list, ALWAYS field carrions to make the "Eat-Fleeing-Opponents" tactic go throw. If you do not know what I mean, ask me via pm about how to use carrions

The rest of it looks good, but, drop something for the carrions 'cause you will need them (against HE).

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Carrions are also our best march blockers, something that is crutial for a range 24" bow army.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by medic_4077 View Post
    Carrions are also our best march blockers, something that is crutial for a range 24" bow army.
    Part of the tactic

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful advice! I think I'll drop a chariot and banner, plus 10 skellies off of one of my 20 blocks and throw in a carrion unit (and I may be able to fit in those musicians, Nagash). I could even drop another 10 archers (I doubt I'll be able to stick two blocks of 20 on one hill so they ALL have LoS) for a second SSC.

This would give me 1 block of 20 archers and two blocks of 10, a Carrion unit and three chariots. This'd be backed by three LPs, 2 SSCs, 2 Scorps and my beautiful queen.

Should I add a block of HW/S skellies for when the enemy reaches me? or will the chariots and scorpions be adequate? I realize that with this kind of list I'm pretty much praying that I kill off most of his dudes BEFORE he gets anywhere near me...

I do know that my HE opponent has them big ballista things (bolt throwers?), so I'll be burrowing at least one of the scorpions when I go up against him.

What would be preferable in this case? Three, four or five Carrion models?
    Last edited by Kaklz; June 18th, 2009 at 02:29. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

When the enemy comes close, just reform one of the skellie bowmen (best if they were 24-25), which makes a good sponge for them. Accompany this unit with flank charges by whatever you may have that hits hard

Use ICFB if he uses any Eagle's Eye They will work good...

Finally, the Carrions: Use three if you want good War Machine Killers. Use four if you want them to be more reliable. Use five if you want to use them according to the "Eat-Fleeing-Opponents" tactic. Use six if you want to assure this tactic with even a few mistakes.

I prefer five

WiP TK Army!

+ Reply to Thread