Banner of the hidden dead Tactic? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Banner of the hidden dead Tactic?

For my new Tomb kings army i have been thinking about making use of the banner of the hidden dead.

my plan is: Icon bearer with banner of the hidden dead in a big unit of skelies or Guard
    charge/be charged
    if the unit needs help use the banner and bring out 6 heavy horsemen to flank/protect my flank

Always having the flank seems like a great bonus but will 6 heavy horsemen be effective enough to cause headaches? would 100 points of skelies be more effective? is this a common tactic? any flaws in my planning? Any and all advice is very welcome

Thanks for the help in advance all

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

General thought on the BotHD is that it is not worth it. It is expensive, don't get a whole lot of bang for your buck (can only have a 100 point unit come up. doesnt do a whole lot), and you have to use a valuable hero choice for the icon bearer. My problem is by having the icon bearer, you don't have an extra Liche.
    The thought behind the BotHD is nice, but its just too costly to pull it out and it limits your other options. If they raised the point cap to the unit that can be hidden to 150-200 that would be better. (i.e. stash some chariots with it or a block of troops that can actually do something more) There are several other threads about this banner. Look at the similar thread window under this or do a search for some other viewpoints.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

*Agrees with above post*

Rasing the units pts limit to over 100, and/or dropping the cost of the banner to about 40pts would be required in order to make it a viable choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

ok thank you for the feed back ill try the banner once or twice just for kicks
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

I agree to above, BUT! I can have a little tip for you

Not many on this forum (what I have seen) have tried to hide (with the banner ofc) a unit of two Tomb Swarms. They will truly give you some surprise-attacks, and they will kick-ass against monsters that will take on a flank.

When these monsters are coming too close, just activate the banner and you will have your opponent to think about something else

But, you must learn how to use it first...

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Not many on this forum (what I have seen) have tried to hide (with the banner ofc) a unit of two Tomb Swarms.
    Probably because they have ICFB anyway, and can charge on the turn they arrive with ICFB, but not with the banner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Probably because they have ICFB anyway, and can charge on the turn they arrive with ICFB, but not with the banner.
    With ICFB it never tend to be the surprise (at least those opponents I am most commonly playing). By hiding a unit of Tomb Swarms you can really make his cheek fall, when he thought that he caught you. The enemy units will only watch for that marker and move on when it is out of reach, while hey cannot do that when hiding in the banner.

And of course, it is worth the points to see your opponents face when he thought that all your tricks were gone and you pick up those Poison Smilies hehe

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    I agree to above, BUT! I can have a little tip for you

Not many on this forum (what I have seen) have tried to hide (with the banner ofc) a unit of two Tomb Swarms. They will truly give you some surprise-attacks, and they will kick-ass against monsters that will take on a flank.

When these monsters are coming too close, just activate the banner and you will have your opponent to think about something else

But, you must learn how to use it first...
    Are you kidding? You want to pay 60pts to gain an ability the tomb swarms have for free anyway, actually ICFB is better than BotHD.

The problem is there are no sub 100pt core units I can make which would cause a problem to anyone if they randomly appeared at an unspecified location. The fact that the unit cannot charge means the only thing it will ever achieve is march-blocking before it gets steam rollered.

Really the only unit you could use it for would be heavy cavalry, bear in mind that even if you did manage to cst urgency on them and get them to charge, heavy cavalry hit with all the force of a stiff breeze and are unlikely to win combat against anything more skilled at fighting than common goblins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    Are you kidding? You want to pay 60pts to gain an ability the tomb swarms have for free anyway, actually ICFB is better than BotHD.

The problem is there are no sub 100pt core units I can make which would cause a problem to anyone if they randomly appeared at an unspecified location. The fact that the unit cannot charge means the only thing it will ever achieve is march-blocking before it gets steam rollered.

Really the only unit you could use it for would be heavy cavalry, bear in mind that even if you did manage to cst urgency on them and get them to charge, heavy cavalry hit with all the force of a stiff breeze and are unlikely to win combat against anything more skilled at fighting than common goblins.
    Eeeeeeh, no... Not kidding A good Tactician must find alternative ways to everything. I didn't say I use it often, but it is the greatest way to use it from the view of a General

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Aren't swarms 0-1 for how many can be in a unit or did i misread my army book?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast