Skarsnik (Goblin) and the Casket of Souls - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skarsnik (Goblin) and the Casket of Souls

I didn't see this listed in previous threads, or maybe I just missed it, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there has come across the issue with Skarsnik's special pre-game ability in relation to the Casket of Souls.

As a summary, Skarsnik causes each opponent's unit to begin the game off the table on a roll of a 6. The affected unit then walks onto the table in turn 1 as if it had pursued off the table the previous turn. This seems to be a rather unfair disadvantage to TK players in that if a 6 is rolled for the LP assigned to the casket, the casket does not, and cannot participate in the game. (It is not permitted to move during the game)

One player at my local has just started playing gobblins and thankfully, the 6 has not been rolled for the two games I used the casket, but I am concerned. If this should happen in a tournament, does the opponent get VP for the Casket? Is it allowed to show up then never move again?

Some thoughts please....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

The only thing you can do is pray to the Dice Gods each time he uses Skarsnik

As for the Priest:

Your LP can enter the Battlefield... But, he may not be able to carry the Casket Your Casket will be destroyed as long as no LP stands as Crew, but the LP can walk away from the Casket - A whole lot of trouble there, hehe

The Opponent will not get VP for the Casket in my oppinion, since it was the LP who left it to stand behind the Battle Lines

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick response! It's something I've been worrying about for a couple weeks now ...

Those were pretty much my thoughts on the subject, I was just thinking (praying) that there would be an alternative somewhere that I overlooked

Oh well, my new list no longer uses the Casket anyway, I'll just have to keep it in mind when it gets returned to the playing field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Ah... Your Priest will survive

When Life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing (etc.)

Always look on the bright side of Life...

Haha
    Last edited by Nagash; July 16th, 2009 at 23:31.

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Yeah, I agree with Nagash. Pray to the dice gods. You could always sacrifice a dice before the game to insure their cooperation. A large mallet is good for that. Line up all your dice around the sacrifical die(and his too), give them a "pep" talk, and perform the ceremonial whack.
    If the dice arent with you and your opponent rolls a 6 for the casket, then you can not use it for the game, but it should not be counted for awarding VP.
    Now thinking about this situation deeper, I believe the casket and the LP are technically deployed seperately. (its just the LP model is attached to the casket, so they go on the same time) So there may actually need to be two rolls made. One for the casket, one for the LP manning the casket. Now, if the casket went on but the LP did not, I believe you could place another LP on the casket during deployment to keep it around. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'll look into the wording and rules when I get home and see what I can find.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by MC Bone Giant View Post
    Yeah, I agree with Nagash. Pray to the dice gods. You could always sacrifice a dice before the game to insure their cooperation. A large mallet is good for that. Line up all your dice around the sacrifical die(and his too), give them a "pep" talk, and perform the ceremonial whack.
    If the dice arent with you and your opponent rolls a 6 for the casket, then you can not use it for the game, but it should not be counted for awarding VP.
    Now thinking about this situation deeper, I believe the casket and the LP are technically deployed seperately. (its just the LP model is attached to the casket, so they go on the same time) So there may actually need to be two rolls made. One for the casket, one for the LP manning the casket. Now, if the casket went on but the LP did not, I believe you could place another LP on the casket during deployment to keep it around. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'll look into the wording and rules when I get home and see what I can find.
    Oh, you may be right

The Casket must be joined by any priest...

But, the Casket is given to a certain priest as a mount...

With that said:
    I would say that any Priest can join the Casket if that LP would be affected by the Rule. Though it will not destroy the Casket Itself, it will mess up the Tactics via Item choices ALOT...

Do NEVER EVER put your Hierophant in the Casket...
    There he will be stucked, just like Eggs in a Basket!
    If you're forced to put Him there and cannot choose,
    Then it is with certainty - YOU WILL LOOSE!

Hahahahahahahaha I'm sick...

WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically, the Casket is purchased as an upgrade to a LP or LHP, so I don't know if it could be considered its own unit or not.

Considering that the Casket can't pursue off the table, how can it return like it pursued? The rules for the goblin's ability make it sound like the unit in question counts as if pre-game it pursued a unit off the table. I would argue that since the Casket can't pursue in the first place, the casket is immune to this effect. It could not have pursued anything off the table, so it would never be affected by this situation of having to return from pursuing.

BTW, this difficulty applies to any unit that is immobile, such as the Dwarf Anvil, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Well, I checked into some old posts and found InquisitorAffe pointing to the Warhammer World House Rules (used in UK GTs). After looking it up, here is what it their FAQ says...
    76. When rolling for Skarsnik’s special rule 'sneaky schemes', what will happen if I roll a 6
    on immovable objects like Anvils of Doom, trebuchets, caskets of souls etc? Being
    immovable, do they move on the table as pursuing units in there first turn as normal
    or do they stay off? And do any associated characters and crew move on in their stead
    (e.g., Rune Lord, Liche priest etc)? It’s covered in the rulebook. The models are moved
    back on as if they pursued off the table. In the rules for this the model is placed back on
    the board touching the table edge in the remaining moves phase, it can then move (but
    not march) as normal. Since these models are immovable they are simply placed on the
    table touching the board edge. It can then participate in the game as normal.
    Warhammer World | Fantasy Wargaming at the Heart of The Hobby: Warhammer World Events
    I need to look into my rule book and see if the rules are actually covered in the rulebook, but if they play this in GTs, I would think it is covered. Also, here's the link to the old thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-question.html (Skarsnik Question)
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MC Bone Giant View Post
    Well, I checked into some old posts and found InquisitorAffe pointing to the Warhammer World House Rules (used in UK GTs). After looking it up, here is what it their FAQ says...
    76. When rolling for Skarsnik’s special rule 'sneaky schemes', what will happen if I roll a 6
    on immovable objects like Anvils of Doom, trebuchets, caskets of souls etc? Being
    immovable, do they move on the table as pursuing units in there first turn as normal
    or do they stay off? And do any associated characters and crew move on in their stead
    (e.g., Rune Lord, Liche priest etc)? It’s covered in the rulebook. The models are moved
    back on as if they pursued off the table. In the rules for this the model is placed back on
    the board touching the table edge in the remaining moves phase, it can then move (but
    not march) as normal. Since these models are immovable they are simply placed on the
    table touching the board edge. It can then participate in the game as normal.
    Warhammer World | Fantasy Wargaming at the Heart of The Hobby: Warhammer World Events
    I need to look into my rule book and see if the rules are actually covered in the rulebook, but if they play this in GTs, I would think it is covered. Also, here's the link to the old thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-question.html (Skarsnik Question)
    This is what I was thinking, to be honest, and I'm a Goblin player. To completely remove a unit from the game seems a little excessive but to cause it to turn up somewhere inconvenient is particularly appropriate for Skarsnik. The Casket must be at least semi-portable otherwise they'd never get it out of the basement of the crypt, would they? Not being able to lug it around the battlefied in a game is a different kettle (casket?) of fish, though.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That does make a LOT more sense. It just takes my beloved Casket off its hill

Oh, well I can live with that more than losing it all together

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast