Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey, taking a break from 40k while I make some headway painting models and waiting for the next shipment of models to fill the army.
Playing around with some low to mid-sized games here. Was going to post a question or two with my list, but then this post started getting a bit long.
In conjunction with me army list I have a few questions. So I figured I'd just post here for now.
First and foremost, I started collecting TK back when I was a nublet in high school and loaded up all of my skellies with HW/S combo. Because honestly the organized rank and file of shield-bearing skellies actually arrayed in militaristic fashion really appealed to me. That is correct out of the 50 or so skellies I have, not a single one of them is armed with arrows. Right now I just proxy in arrows.
So, here is one question: Can foot-slogging skellies with no archer support be an effective list, because I really love the aesthetic thing I have right now and don't want to be mutilating fully assembled and painted models.
Second question, if the foot-sloggers aren't so viable, what options am I looking at. Grab the exacto-knife and go all Dr. Frankenstein on the minis or is there some other way to work the 50 HW/S skellies into a list without detracting too much from our awesome special choices.
Three, on the topic of special choice, I keep hearing about Nagash and his 5-man units of carrion and the way they should be used. I wish to be enlightened in order to bring victory to Khemri more efficiently.
Yeah, I honestly only have those three for now.
Here's what I currently have in terms of models. Not looking to buy anything new right now as I just bought more 40k stuff (don't flog me) and money is tight as it is. Other than proxying, any suggestions for making a somewhat competitive list while still maintaining my rank and file core (2 blocks of HW/S skellies and one block of TG). Wouldn't really want to buy anything new at the moment as I believe the new army book is coming out near the end of the year/early next year.
x1 Tomb King/Prince
x4 Liche Priests (2 mounted, 2 foot-sloggers)
x50 (or so) HW/S Skelletons
x8 Heavy Horsemen
x8 Partially-built Horsemen ( I was going to go the route of a mass 15-16 unit strong of Heavy Horsemen before I realized that the point were honestly better used elsewhere)
x23 Tomb Guard
x1 Tomb Scorpion
Hey! Welcome back!
1) You can work without arrow support from skeleton blocks. If you really want to, convert 10 HW/S skellies for one block. A block of 10 is about the max size fire support unit you want unless you use the arrow skellies as combat blocks. (not how I do it, but some people on here like it) If you need some arrows, get your skele horsemen up and running. Make them light horsemen (heavy suck something awful). They are more expensive, but put a mounted liche priest in there with the Staff of Ravening. That will take care of any fire support you may need.
2) I like HW/S skellies. Be glad you didnt put spears on them. You want to run your skellies in large blocks (20-30). Skellies arent going to kill anything in h2h, but the name of the game is combat res. If you have enough res, you beat units and auto-break due to fear (except ItP units. arrrgh!) Other than your HW/S, you have your 23 strong TG unit. That is a strong unit. You can put BotUL in there. Maybe a Tomb Prince. It will go toe to toe with many other units in the game and hold them.
3) Nagash loves his carrion. The thing with the TK special choices is that they are all excellent. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose. For the moment, you will be fine with 3 carrion. They will do what they need to do (march block or war machine hunting) fine in a block of 3. If there is one unit that you should add (i know, you said you dont want to add anything), it would be the Screaming Skull Catapult. If you get that, it would give you a very strong list for quite some time.
5) No real word on TK army yet, I wouldnt expect it anytime before early-mid next year. Space Wolves are out in October, and rumors have it Skaven and Dark Eldar are due out after my space puppies.
1) Dont worry, anything can be done And if you want to do it then its probably best to, rather than have an army youre not perfectly happy with.
2) That what i did... stupid spear skellies
3) 3 Carrion are all you really need as MCBG said, Nagash likes 5 because they are then also able to be used as a trapping unit to catch enemy fleeing units.
I saw your list, looks pretty good given what you have (Although im not a TG fan myself, 20 of those ranked up next to 40 skellies should look pretty intimidating )
- Be glad you put the same things on them I got HW and Shiled on a third, Spears on another third and Bows with the rest of them - quite sad You can make a foot Skellie List, that actually will work But it needs much more of you as a Tactician, since Skellies sucks
- Grab their arms and rip them off, haha
- Hahahahahaha Just try them, see if you feel as comfortable as I do with those flying Hunters I would recommend a Scorp before three Carrions though, since that monster can hurt your opponent more for those points
- I am to recommend an additional unit of Chariots - they are wonderful!
Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
WiP TK Army!
I do like both the Scorpions and the Carrion. Both of which I've been using as warmachine and character hunters. Haven't tried a large unit of those undead birds so it would be something interesting to try.
Also a big fan of the TG, if anything how they fit in with how the army looks. Throw Icon of Rakhep on them and they can get anywhere they need to in decent order (well, for undead anyway) I'll should get pictures of them up that aren't six years old.
Chariots I've had mixed results with, they either preform fantastically on the flanks or get smashed to pieces. Maybe bumping up to four chariots would be a better play.
Yeah, Heavy Horsemen suck. But I have them built and throwing an 8x2 unit or 5x3 unit of them on the field make people go 'wtf?!' Its funny if not all that effective, throw banner of the undying on them (more so just for the bound spell to soak things up) for the heck of it.
SSC is just fantastic, can't wait to get my dirty mitts on a pair of those.
I could try the H2H army (with catapults once I have the funds). I do like the tactical aspect and challenges it would present, granted I'm the kind of person who likes doing everything the hard, overly complicated way than keeping things simple.
Thanks for the advice and pointers.
Why do you dislike TG so much Phoenix? I personally love them! When you put a tomb prince/King in their ranks they become a powerful fighting force and with the ability to revive up to 6 of them at once with a liche priest they are very reliable. Killing blow is a nice bonus as well! I think Ushabti are a great choice as well, but since you seem to be going for a footsoldier based army I'd say stick with the tomb guard.
Oh and regarding spear skellies, Don't ever EVER make them, you will end up ripping arm after arm off of spear skellies trying to make them into Bow/HW skellies! Don't make the same mistake I did!