First impression - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First impression

Howdy all! I recently bought myself a beautiful Tomb Kings army off eBay. Seemed like a deal I couldn't pass up on. Got to play my first 1k army and had a lot of fun but I think I did something wrong....

HERO:
    Tomb Prince w/ Sword of Battle + Shield

Lich Priest w/ Casket of Souls + Neferra's

CORE:
    Skeleton Warriors X 25, w/ shields and full command (Tomb Prince goes here)
    Skeleton Warriors X 20, w/ bows and champion

SPECIAL:
    Tomb Scorpion
    Tomb Scorpion

992 points

Here's the problem though; I completely devastated my opponent (Bretonnians) in about two turns. It wasn't even a contest. Which makes me think that the Casket of Souls should be kept to bigger games. He tried to dispel what he could but it just wasn't enough.

So, what sort of lists do you guys usually play in 1k battles? I've got a pretty good selection of models, so I can pretty much play almost anything. Here's a list of what I've got off the top of my head:

Settra
    Khahlida
    Tomb king w/ Chariot
    Tomb King/prince on foot
    Tomb king/prince on foot
    High/Lich priest on foot
    High/Lich priest on horse
    High/Lich priest on foot
    Icon Bearer or Tomb Guard Magic Banner holder

Skeleton Warriors X 25 w/ shields and full command
    Skeleton Warriors X 21 w/ champion and bows
    Chariots X 4 w/ full command
    Skeleton Horsemen X 8 w/ spears (heavy horsemen?) and full command
    Tomb Swarm X 4

Tomb Guard X 23, two full commands
    Tomb Scorpion
    Tomb Scorpion
    Ushabti X 3

Screaming Skull Catapult
    Screaming Skull Catapult
    Casket of Skulls

So what does everyone think I could do? Apologies for the noobish question, I haven't had a lot of experience with Fantasy... Let alone Tomb Kings!

Chaos - 55,000+ points
    Tyranids - 15,000+ points
    Necrons - 6000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

Huh? That's a bit of a surprise TBH since we can often struggle quite badly @ 1000pts.

I suspect there are two possibilities:

either you got spectacularly lucky rolls and you happened to be playing the perfect foil army for his (not entirely unreasonable with Brets to be fair)

Or...

(and apologies if that inadvertantly comes across as patronising, but since you specifically mentioned it was your first game I thought I'd check just in case)...

Were you using the mighty plaques with the casket? Because that certainly would explain things.

If you try your list out against some other armies you may find it's more balanced than you originally thought.

PS. Since you have 8pts left you could add another skellie bowman.
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vallah View Post
    Huh? That's a bit of a surprise TBH since we can often struggle quite badly @ 1000pts.

I suspect there are two possibilities:

either you got spectacularly lucky rolls and you happened to be playing the perfect foil army for his (not entirely unreasonable with Brets to be fair)

Or...

(and apologies if that inadvertantly comes across as patronising, but since you specifically mentioned it was your first game I thought I'd check just in case)...

Were you using the mighty plaques with the casket? Because that certainly would explain things.

If you try your list out against some other armies you may find it's more balanced than you originally thought.

PS. Since you have 8pts left you could add another skellie bowman.
    I wasn't using Plaques with the Casket, I was using it to keep my Skeletons moving or shooting. Admittedly I did get some really good rolls and in some cases took out four plus Knights a round with the Casket. Ignoring that 2+ armor save is just amazing going against heavily armored armies like Bretonnians or Chaos I'd imagine.
    Chaos - 55,000+ points
    Tyranids - 15,000+ points
    Necrons - 6000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Moozie View Post
    Admittedly I did get some really good rolls and in some cases took out four plus Knights a round with the Casket.
    Ouch! That's gotta hurt at 1000pts! Just thinking about it gives me a warm glow...

TBH I don't think I've ever used the casket and plaques @1k. I rarely use the plaques at all come to that, but as I look back over your army there does seem to be an awful lot of magic for your opponent to have to cope with on a 1k list.

This is food for thought indeed...

Note to self: Steal his idea and try this out!

I'd be particularly interested to know how you get on if you use this list again Moozie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The casket is only that powerful when it successfully casts. Most players will opt to save their dispell dice for the casket and allow your other incantations to go through. Typically you'll only see the thing go off once or twice a battle tops.

I personally have only had the thing go off twice in the last 6 games I've played.

So it's not really that overpowered. Very powerful yes, but easily dealt with. It sounds to me like your opponent was either inexperienced against tomb kings or just very unlucky with his dispell rolls. Early on especially there is no reason why he shouldn't have been saving 2-3 dispell dice for the casket and letting your incantations go through. What are you going to do? Move 8 inches forward instead of 4. OMG! Shoot 10 arrows that will almost never wound instead of 5? Simply terrifying.
    Tomb Scorpion Kill Counter: Gotrek Gurnisson, Empire Cannon Crew=3, Blood Knights=2, Saurus Cavalry=5, Saurus Warriors=3, Razordons=3, Skink warriors=7, Jezzails=8, Poison Wind Globadiers=10, Warp Lightning Cannon=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflebob View Post
    Most players will opt to save their dispell dice for the casket and allow your other incantations to go through.
    That is exactly the point bud. Remember your opponent will have less magic dice to begin with @1k, so I'm thinking that with a bit of tinkering a list based on Mozzies could be developed into one that enjoyed a significant advantage right from the off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflebob View Post
    What are you going to do? Move 8 inches forward instead of 4. OMG! Shoot 10 arrows that will almost never wound instead of 5?
    Note that the list above has an archer block of 20, so smiting would actually give you 40 shots, not 10. At 1000pts a volley of forty shots every turn is not insignificant by any means! I know you've had some supernaturally bad luck with your archers lately bob (200+ shots and only dropped a couple of greatswords rings a bell), but try not to become disillusioned with them too quickly.

Note also that the 4 or 8 inch movement you dismiss so quickly could just as easily be a charge for a chariot unit. So to answer your question, that's what I'm going to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vallah View Post
    That is exactly the point bud. Remember your opponent will have less magic dice to begin with @1k, so I'm thinking that with a bit of tinkering a list based on Mozzies could be developed into one that enjoyed a significant advantage right from the off.

Note that the list above has an archer block of 20, so smiting would actually give you 40 shots, not 10. At 1000pts a volley of forty shots every turn is not insignificant by any means! I know you've had some supernaturally bad luck with your archers lately bob (200+ shots and only dropped a couple of greatswords rings a bell), but try not to become disillusioned with them too quickly.

Note also that the 4 or 8 inch movement you dismiss so quickly could just as easily be a charge for a chariot unit. So to answer your question, that's what I'm going to do
    You have some very good points, but still, typically in the first 2 rounds of the game there aren't going to be many incantations that absolutely need to be dispelled. Personally if I were the brettonian player I'd sooner let a chariot unit crash into my knights or have them fire 40 shots than let the casket go off. A 2+ armor save will fend off a whole lot of arrows and str 4 impact hits.
    Tomb Scorpion Kill Counter: Gotrek Gurnisson, Empire Cannon Crew=3, Blood Knights=2, Saurus Cavalry=5, Saurus Warriors=3, Razordons=3, Skink warriors=7, Jezzails=8, Poison Wind Globadiers=10, Warp Lightning Cannon=1

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Brets have surprisingly low Ld. If the Bret player was packing Scrolls to negate it then the game wouldve gone very differently me thinks... Congrats on the fantastic win! Next time, your opponant needs to sort out his magic defence tactics. Nothing wrong with your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Nice to see someone else than me using the Casket in games of less than 2k I hope that you liked it, so that you will use it in further games hehe

POWER TO THE CASKET!

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Nice to see someone else than me using the Casket in games of less than 2k I hope that you liked it, so that you will use it in further games hehe

POWER TO THE CASKET!

//Nagash
    i think you meant:

POWER TO THE BASKET!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast