Upcoming releases and how they might affect us - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upcoming releases and how they might affect us

I'm sure many of you have heard rumblings, either here or elsewhere, about large and substantial changes that may be in the works at Games Workshop. Rumors are flying about a possible 8th edition already as well as a summer campaign centered around cavalry.

My question is...how does everyone who's come in contact with these rumors feel about them as they relate to us?

Me personally, I don't like the idea of an 8th edition already when nearly half of the current army books are still operating under 6th edition rules. However, there is potential there to increase the viability of infantry units, who I feel get the shaft under the current system unless they're comprised high strength, multi-attack models. I'm not entirely sold on this rumor anyway as it just seems to early.

As far as the potential cavalry based summer campaign goes. I'm ambivalent since I only play friendly games against my gaming group of 7. However, I find it...distressing that GW would even consider a campaign based around a unit type that quite a few armies have no or limited access to. Skaven and Dwarfs have no cavalry at all. Ogre Cavalry isn't technically legal yet (I think) and our cavalry is one of, if not THE, biggest joke in the game. Designing a campaign scenario the willingly excludes multiple armies seems like a ridiculous prospect.

However, some of my friends seem to think that GW is going to use this campaign to attempt to balance cavalry against infantry. The HE player, Lizardman player and Skaven player all think that cavalry is too powerful in today's metagame. My cavalry blows and other than Dragon Princes, I don't face any that I'm afraid of (TG > Cold One Riders...lol).

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Personally, I'm hoping to play-test the version that Phoenix (I think) was about to write, like the one he did with Beasts of Chaos I think it would be a good start to decide whether we would like some changes or not

If you read this Phoenix: Give me some response and tell me, have you started or do you need any help?

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I had a friend that told me, and I don't know if it's true, that he used to play test for GW. And they would try to cheese the books so that way GW would fix the problems. Then he said that GW stopped getting regular gamers like himself to play test and started getting a group to play test that wasn't as dedicated to finding the cheese. And apparently didn't want to offend the writers or the book or something like that, so there wasn't the necessary changes needed. Don't know how true it is, but he hasn't really lied to me before. Said something about they used to make one of the skaven artillery core and they just made an army consisting of nothing but those and it was master cheese. Anywho, our cav needs an upgrade for sure, maybe armor but no negative to move because they're undead, that'd be sweet. who knows? I only use them to keep a liche protected... lets hope for the best?

If anyone has more info on what's going on, feel free to PM me, all this is just what I heard, not know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on guys. 8th ed already! You spread just dreams.
    Major armies just came out on 7th, and many waiting from 5th tbh. Relax. Stop distributing just rubbish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard rumblings about a calvary update coming out summer 2010. Don't know how true it is, but no 8th just yet.Also, the campaign looks Empire/Von Carstien.
    Here is the link If Rumors are true, 2010 will be the year for Warhammer Fantasy!
    For the greater good, my will be done!
    Tau- 4k~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tomb Kings- 2.5k
    Thousand Sons- 1850 ~~~~~Night Goblins- 900

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't pay attention to rumors, they so often turn out to be false. I just wait for the books to come out and see when it happens.
    Tomb Scorpion Kill Counter: Gotrek Gurnisson, Empire Cannon Crew=3, Blood Knights=2, Saurus Cavalry=5, Saurus Warriors=3, Razordons=3, Skink warriors=7, Jezzails=8, Poison Wind Globadiers=10, Warp Lightning Cannon=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apoll View Post
    Come on guys. 8th ed already! You spread just dreams.
    Major armies just came out on 7th, and many waiting from 5th tbh. Relax. Stop distributing just rubbish.
    You obviously have never heard or, nor read, Warseer then have you? This isn't the only forum with Warhammer information on it, you know? And while the people here are more helpful generally, there are several sources over yonder who seem to be in the know.

I'd heard nothing of this rumor here, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid or even possible. Apparently, GW is not above changing editions prior to every army book getting released.

So yeah, while you may think it's rubbish that doesn't discount the possibility. Pardon me for trying to share possibilities as I find them. :rollseyes: Jeesh, you'd think I'd come out as posted this as absolute truth.

Some people's kids...gawd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatik1 View Post
    You obviously have never heard or, nor read, Warseer then have you? This isn't the only forum with Warhammer information on it, you know? And while the people here are more helpful generally, there are several sources over yonder who seem to be in the know.

I'd heard nothing of this rumor here, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid or even possible. Apparently, GW is not above changing editions prior to every army book getting released.

So yeah, while you may think it's rubbish that doesn't discount the possibility. Pardon me for trying to share possibilities as I find them. :rollseyes: Jeesh, you'd think I'd come out as posted this as absolute truth.

Some people's kids...gawd.

I heard that on warseer too

oh man, that makes me want to cry
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE
    NEW TOMB KING BOOK WAY BEFORE 8th Edition!!
    PLEEASE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tomb Kings book in general! Phewy.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Personally, I'm hoping to play-test the version that Phoenix (I think) was about to write, like the one he did with Beasts of Chaos I think it would be a good start to decide whether we would like some changes or not

If you read this Phoenix: Give me some response and tell me, have you started or do you need any help?

//Nagash
    Hey man! Im reading That boo has been put on hold for a while... but i could pretty much summarise the key changes to existing things somewhere on the forums if you like.

As for an 8th ed, im tempted to cry BS... however, i remember when i first mentioned 5th ed 40K to people here on LO, and told them it would be out within the year. They all laughed I year later, 5th ed arrived Phoenix 1, LO Chat 0 So yeah, im not so closed to the prospect, although i am to the idea...

A very quick glance at that above link seems to hint at a rules "update", fantasy 7.1... this is likely to be a supplement book i guess, pimping out cavalry (because lets face it, VC BKs just arent good enough right now...)

As for how TKs will fare. Well tbh, probably badly, at first, as always. But, as always, once the initial cripplings are overcome then we should be able to pick ourselves back up and evolve tactics as necessary And with 8th ed comes (hopefully) what we all want...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast