Librarium Online Forums banner

Upcoming releases and how they might affect us

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Marnepup 
#1 ·
I'm sure many of you have heard rumblings, either here or elsewhere, about large and substantial changes that may be in the works at Games Workshop. Rumors are flying about a possible 8th edition already as well as a summer campaign centered around cavalry.

My question is...how does everyone who's come in contact with these rumors feel about them as they relate to us?

Me personally, I don't like the idea of an 8th edition already when nearly half of the current army books are still operating under 6th edition rules. However, there is potential there to increase the viability of infantry units, who I feel get the shaft under the current system unless they're comprised high strength, multi-attack models. I'm not entirely sold on this rumor anyway as it just seems to early.

As far as the potential cavalry based summer campaign goes. I'm ambivalent since I only play friendly games against my gaming group of 7. However, I find it...distressing that GW would even consider a campaign based around a unit type that quite a few armies have no or limited access to. Skaven and Dwarfs have no cavalry at all. Ogre Cavalry isn't technically legal yet (I think) and our cavalry is one of, if not THE, biggest joke in the game. Designing a campaign scenario the willingly excludes multiple armies seems like a ridiculous prospect.

However, some of my friends seem to think that GW is going to use this campaign to attempt to balance cavalry against infantry. The HE player, Lizardman player and Skaven player all think that cavalry is too powerful in today's metagame. My cavalry blows and other than Dragon Princes, I don't face any that I'm afraid of (TG > Cold One Riders...lol).

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I'm hoping to play-test the version that Phoenix (I think) was about to write, like the one he did with Beasts of Chaos :) I think it would be a good start to decide whether we would like some changes or not :p

If you read this Phoenix: Give me some response and tell me, have you started or do you need any help? :)

//Nagash

#10 ·
Hey man! Im reading ;) That boo has been put on hold for a while... but i could pretty much summarise the key changes to existing things somewhere on the forums if you like.

As for an 8th ed, im tempted to cry BS... however, i remember when i first mentioned 5th ed 40K to people here on LO, and told them it would be out within the year. They all laughed :( I year later, 5th ed arrived ;) Phoenix 1, LO Chat 0 :p So yeah, im not so closed to the prospect, although i am to the idea...

A very quick glance at that above link seems to hint at a rules "update", fantasy 7.1... this is likely to be a supplement book i guess, pimping out cavalry (because lets face it, VC BKs just arent good enough right now...)

As for how TKs will fare. Well tbh, probably badly, at first, as always. But, as always, once the initial cripplings are overcome then we should be able to pick ourselves back up and evolve tactics as necessary :) And with 8th ed comes (hopefully) what we all want...

#3 ·
Well I had a friend that told me, and I don't know if it's true, that he used to play test for GW. And they would try to cheese the books so that way GW would fix the problems. Then he said that GW stopped getting regular gamers like himself to play test and started getting a group to play test that wasn't as dedicated to finding the cheese. And apparently didn't want to offend the writers or the book or something like that, so there wasn't the necessary changes needed. Don't know how true it is, but he hasn't really lied to me before. Said something about they used to make one of the skaven artillery core and they just made an army consisting of nothing but those and it was master cheese. Anywho, our cav needs an upgrade for sure, maybe armor but no negative to move because they're undead, that'd be sweet. who knows? I only use them to keep a liche protected... lets hope for the best?

If anyone has more info on what's going on, feel free to PM me, all this is just what I heard, not know.

#7 ·
You obviously have never heard or, nor read, Warseer then have you? This isn't the only forum with Warhammer information on it, you know? And while the people here are more helpful generally, there are several sources over yonder who seem to be in the know.

I'd heard nothing of this rumor here, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid or even possible. Apparently, GW is not above changing editions prior to every army book getting released.

So yeah, while you may think it's rubbish that doesn't discount the possibility. Pardon me for trying to share possibilities as I find them. :rollseyes: Jeesh, you'd think I'd come out as posted this as absolute truth.

Some people's kids...gawd.

#6 ·
I don't pay attention to rumors, they so often turn out to be false. I just wait for the books to come out and see when it happens.

#11 ·
I don't think TK will fare that poorly. I'll wait and see how my skaven come out next month though before I make a final judgement

I don't think Warseer is that reliable either. Just going from the skaven rumors we had book release dates of June, August, November and 1st quarter 2010. These were/are all from supposedly reliable sources "in the know" I'm not going to even get started on the rumors of the kinds of units skaven are going to get.

#16 ·
The next book is skaven on november 7th, after that is Beasts of Chaos anything after them is still rumour.
I have not seen this myself but apparatly either the white dwarf on shelves at the moment or the new one that should be in stores next week has a page with that "if you go into the woods you'll get a surprise" poem followed up with some lines about "all across the old world dark things are stirring in the forests", wood elves aren't in the old world so that just leaves beastmen (was heavily rumoured to be after skaven anyway).

#21 ·
Well from what I can tell GW doesn't consider any of the army books to be for a specific edition. They just update the army books as needed. There is no such thing as a "7th edition Vampire Counts" There is just the current VC rulebook, which happened to come out during the 7th edition of the main rules. So as far as they are concerned, there is absolutely no reason not to make an 8th edition other than whether or not they want to.

#22 ·
true but when they release a new core rule book, which they will do, it'll never stop, alota rules will shift and change, even if just by a little. This has the potential too either make a current army better/worse depending on how that specific book was written.

Seeing as the Big red book came out in late 05 i think(not 100% sure) a new edition could be around the corner in a couple years, if for nothing else too make more money, 50 bucks a pop. That being said all i was inferring was i would cross my fingers that if they are planning on making a new core rule set that the TKs end up being the last, if not the second too last done, as the last 1 or 2 armies done are often being written at the same time as that new book, and therefore up too date (for the most part).

Thats my 2 cents, you guys have a great troll :)

#23 ·
I've not seen any substantiated rumours of 8th Edition on Warseer, most of it is pure speculation based on the information that 2010 will be a "Fantasy Year". That really doesn't have to mean 8th Ed will be out.

Speculations has been growing that TK is now 3rd in line for release, after Skaven and Beasts of Chaos (lets face it the beasts need it more than we do), but again rumours are extremely vague because GW are keeping info on new releases a lot closer to their chest than they have in the past.

The truth is TK are now quite near the top of the pile for needing a re-write, couple that with the fact that most of our model range doesn't need touching (New skeletons and cavalry would be great, new plastic Tomb Guard also expected, everything else already rocks) and it would be a pretty easy release for them to push through.

#28 ·
I'd love to see a sphinx as a rare... make it function like an upgraded scorpion...better stats, ICFB, and a model for it that would bring a tear to your eye...maybe the option to duck back under the sand at will (needing another successful roll to reemerge)...

#26 ·
If the latest BS from Warseer is to be believed (and it usually isn't to be honest), 8th ed has been pushed back to early 2011 and TK are due out the book after next. Beasts have also been pushed back after us to coincide with the wave of Chaos thing planned for next summer.

TBH it's all just rumors and wishful thinking at the moment though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.