Casket 2000pts friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casket 2000pts friendly

Hey all, I've decided to try taking a casket against my regular HE opponent (despite high ld), and here's what I came up with. I typically lose against HE, and its kindof frustrating so if anybody has any army specific suggestions those are most welcome, as is advice/criticisms of any kind. Thanks!

Also, How do you guys find is the best way to use your chariots? If using 2 units, do you use one on each flank, or set them both up on one flank? Send them in right away, or save them until the whole line gets to the fight??

Characters

Tomb King
    -Chariot
    -Spear of Antarhak

Tomb Prince
    -Chariot
    -Flail
    -Vambraces of the sun
    -Brooch of the Great Desert

Liche Priest
    -Casket of Souls
    -Collar of Shapesh
    -Dispel Scroll

Liche Priest
    -Heirophant
    -Dispel Scroll
    -Cloak of Dunes

Core

Chariots x3 (King goes here)
    -Banner
    -Icon of the Sacred Eye

Chariots x3 (Prince goes here)
    -Banner
    -Standard of the Cursing Word

Skeleton Warriors x20
    -Bows

Special

Tomb Guard x20
    -Banner, Champion
    -Icon of Rakaph

Carrion x3

Tomb Scorpion

Rare

Screaming Skull Catapult
    ----------
    Oops wrong forum, could someone move to army lists?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

If you're having trouble against HE, Chariot of Fire on the King would work well and help get around ASF.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Yup, beat elves with Chariots Lack of armour and T3 means Impact Hits hurt before they can touch you hehe.

Does your opponent use any of the cheesy Named heroes? Specifically.. Teclis. If so, slap him

Other than that, whats sitting next to the casket to keep your Priest proected (via the collar)? Collar may be a waste of points tbh, HEs dont have Cannons so the threat to him is small.

Careful with chariot units, only one unit is allowed a magic banner. Not sure Tomb Guard are the best choice either, against ASF... theres a lot of points there that can go into... Chariots, Scorp #2 and Carrion unit # 2

Also, maybe upgrade the SSC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat. View Post
    How do you guys find is the best way to use your chariots? If using 2 units, do you use one on each flank, or set them both up on one flank? Send them in right away, or save them until the whole line gets to the fight?
    It would really help if you could give us a rough idea of what your mate usually fields. There is a fair bit of variety between HE lists and a lot of the advice we could offer might not actually enhance your list depending on how his army is put together.

How you field your chariots is largely dependant upon how he field his units and on the terrain so it's difficult to answer that one fully. If your friend uses dragon princes (don't they all?) than I would deploy the chariots across from these as they have more than enough muscle to take them down and the very presence of the character led chariots will naturally slow him down and give him plenty to think about. Bear in mind that DPs are immune to fire because of their dragon armour so the Chariot of fire and SSC are wasted against these. Given a choice I would offer up the princes unit against his BSB (no prizes for guessing what banner that will be), because if he rolls well then this can luck out against anything. The prince is more expendable than the king and you still might get him with the curse even if he does get lucky.

I would probably still take the collar on the casket liche TBH. You can always put the damage on the nearby SSC (honestly, we may as well all just put the SSC and casket on the same base and be done with it -LOL). If he's using eagle(s) you'll be glad you did.

Since you will need to drop a magic banner from the chariots (I'd lose the SotCW here), I would also drop a couple of scrolls and use the points on another scorpion. This will be much more valuable to you against his bolt throwers, archers and (especially) his mages. Be utterly ruthless in the pursit of his mages and don't be afraid to 'waste' a scorpion on an assassination mission. Even if you can only get to one of them it will be far more effective in the long term than a couple of scrolls.

Try and send your carrion against a bolt thrower that is near other units. This will take care of a threat (usually to your chariots) as well as march blocking him a little. After that I would use any surviving carrion to tie up his archers as these will likely be giving your own archers and chariots a hard time.

Generally you can expect your chariots to take a lot of heat from his missile units and magic so try and eliminate or at least tie these units up early with carrion and scorps. If you can accomplish that then you will take an awful lot of the pressure off yourself and should have plenty of time to deal with the slower moving stuff like swordmasters etc.
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies and good advice guys. I'll be dropping standard of the cursing word from the chariot unit. I normally love chariot of fire, but he tends to deploy his dp's right in front of my chariots so it ends up not being too useful.

He usually fields;

Spearmen, Minimum archer unit
    Dragon Princes
    White lions
    Pheonix Guard
    Usually some sword masters
    Two Eagles

Terrain is pretty much open, with a hill on each side

tbh he hasn't used bolt throwers in a little while, I'm not sure why Im using carrion, other than to try and march block his faster units. Maybe my points would be better spent elsewhere.

And for characters, Im not entirely sure on the names, but I seem to usually be fighting against like 12 pd. So with the points from the banner i ditch, and a scroll or two ill take another scorpion and go mage hunting..

Vallah, for deploying across from his dp's, what would you equip the king/prince with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Spearmen, Minimum archer unit
    Dragon Princes
    White lions
    Pheonix Guard
    Usually some sword masters
    Two Eagles
    Ok, this does unfortunately not say much about his list...

Notes that seem true with his list: No Lorthern - Dragon Princes included - Pretty combat oriented - No dragon (?) - Few points spent on Core (?)

Terrain is pretty much open, with a hill on each side
    Perfect for a Tomb Kings Player! Beneficial...

tbh he hasn't used bolt throwers in a little while, I'm not sure why Im using carrion, other than to try and march block his faster units. Maybe my points would be better spent elsewhere.
    1. March Block
    2. Eat Fleeing Opponents
    3. Hunt Great Eagles
    4. Hunt Lone Wizards
    5. Tie Smaller Enemy Units
    6. Shield LoS
    7. Direct Charges

I can't think of a reason NOT to use them, hehe They're soooo perfect, especially against HE!

And for characters, Im not entirely sure on the names, but I seem to usually be fighting against like 12 pd. So with the points from the banner i ditch, and a scroll or two ill take another scorpion and go mage hunting..
    For the last Special Slot, I would suggest a Unit of TGs if you can afford it KB against elves with that cheesey save (thinking about Princes with enough armour to survive anything with re-roll) is very nice to have. I've made about three lucky shots in a total with my TG Champ against my opponents HE Prince on Star Dragon which have killed him instantly (note that it's still called "lucky shot" )

for deploying across from his dp's, what would you equip the king/prince with?
    I would have a King with DoE and Collar.

I would field a Chariot Prince with Flail, Chariot of Fire and Icon of Rulership.

I would field a Prince on foot with GW, AotA and VoS.

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, this does unfortunately not say much about his list...

Notes that seem true with his list: No Lorthern - Dragon Princes included - Pretty combat oriented - No dragon (?) - Few points spent on Core (?)
    Few points spent on core, yes. Usually no dragon, but if he does it's a dragon mage

Should have been more specific i guess, not sure if this helps ;

20 spears, (banner)
    10 archers, (nothing)
    6 dragon princes (FC)(the odd battle banner thrown in with a bsb..hate that thing so much lol)
    15 White lions (FC)
    20 Pheonix Guard (FC)
    14 sword masters (FC) (2 ranks of 7 for more attacks)
    2 great eagles

For the last Special Slot, I would suggest a Unit of TGs if you can afford it
    Not sure Tomb Guard are the best choice either, against ASF
    I haven't not taken tomb guard against HE yet, or against anyone yet, Guess this will need some expirimentation

I would have a King with DoE and Collar
    I guess I could put him in with the tomb guard, but I think I like the punch he adds to that chariot unit. I just wasn't sure if the spear of antarhak was really enough to deal with the 2+ save of the DP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

All his mages are likely to be bunkered up in his blocks so you should do really well if you can pair up your units properly against his during deployment.

With that in mind then:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    20 spears, (banner)
    These can attack in 3 ranks so you'll really need to thin them out a bit with missile fire before you can seriously think about doing them in. Once you do, they'll fall to pretty much anything you have handy.

10 archers, (nothing)
    Okay, so he only has ten of these but cost aside they're still amongst the best archers in the game. If you ignore them they could butcher your bow dudes and you're going to need them for the swordmasters and spearmen. If you can squeeze out the points (and you probably can't) to put BotUL on your archers then great, you can pretty much ignore these early on. If not, I would kill them off with a scorpion before it goes on its assassination mission.

6 dragon princes (FC)(the odd battle banner thrown in with a bsb..hate that thing so much lol)
    LOL. Like I said, no prizes for guessing what banner that would be.
    Personally I would be tempted to give the prince the FoS here. Like all multi wound weapons, FoS is great for challenges because he will either have to risk a character against FoS and the curse or accept with a champion and see his combat res offset by overkill. Couple this with impact hits and you should come out ahead. Even if you get some really unlucky rolls you will almost certainly leave the princes in no position to contribute anything meaningful to the battle. Just watch out if he gets beast cowers to cast against your chariots -but if he does then remember this only lasts until the end of your movement phase anyway.

14 sword masters (FC) (2 ranks of 7 for more attacks)
    Yep, it's pretty much standard practice around here for HE players to go with this as a set up for their swordmasters. With a bladelord you are looking at 15 attacks with ASF and WS6! Nice.
    Shoot the b******s. They don't have a great armour save and your missile fire will quickly reduce their numbers to the point where they can't do enough damage to make up for the big CR on your blocks. Depending on what is a more immediate threat I would probably look to shoot at these a bit before turning my attention to the spearmen.

20 Pheonix Guard (FC)
    With a 4+ ward and fear causing, these are a real pain for us and the only thing the HE player really needs to worry about with these is units that can dish out a lot of attacks... like chariots. Take him in the flank so as to offset his CR and your impact hits should carry you home nicely.

15 White lions (FC)
    If he takes the Lion standard these will also be a pain since they have a decent armour save and S6.

The king will do well for you here (either with DoE or in a chariot). They will pretty much laugh off any kind of armour save we have but they don't do many attacks so a decent block of units should easily be able to hold them long enough for you to score a one-two punch in their flank. If he doesn't take the lion standard then these are easy meat for your chariots.

2 great eagles
    Given that he has almost no shooting I would actually send the carrion (if you keep them in) after the eagles. If you can squeeze in the extra scorpion I might be tempted to leave one where it can cover your SSC & casket until those are gone, but if you do go with a king on foot then I would start him off here instead to protect the goodies on the hill (and to cast smiting on the SSC of course).

All things being equal, I would probably take a TK with DoE (switching the Icon to the princes unit) and use the unit of 3 chariots as flanking support for the TG (moving the king from the casket into the TG as needed). A chariot king will still do really well though if that's what you prefer though.

Hopefully this will be of help (and in time) to turn the tables on those pesky elves for you Wildcat. Let us know how you get on eh? Good luck!
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

I would really like to hear many histories about TK crushing HE when you've played your game Enjoy!

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, much appreciated! yeah ill post the battle results whenever we battle next..I think Im pretty happy with the list, here's how it stands right now.

Characters
    Tomb King
    -Destroyer of Eternities
    -Collar of Shapesh

Tomb Prince
    -Chariot
    -Flail of Skulls

Liche Priest
    -Casket of Souls (Im thinking ill give the collar to the king, because the priest should be protected by bowmen, carrion, and the casket guard incase the birds actually reach it..oh ya and terror )

Liche Priest
    -Hiero
    -Cloak of Dunes

Core
    Chariots x3 (Prince goes here)
    -Banner
    -Icon of the Sacred Eye

Chariots x3
    -Banner

Skeleton Warriors x20
    -Bows

Special
    Tomb Guard x20 (King goes here)
    -Banner, Champion
    -Icon of Rakaph

Carrion x3

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Rare
    Screaming Skull Catapult

Im at 1994 pts, so I COULD drop the banner on the 2nd chariot unit, and 1 TG (or 2 archers) and give a banner + botul to the bowmen. My friend has my army book so i dont have access to how many points a skelly banner costs, but I think this works. ANy thoughts??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast