To Help a Noob..... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Help a Noob.....

Basically im looking at collecting TK. All i have so far is the BFSP box set and ive had about 3 months to go over the rules and paint my models and now im looking at starting to collect an army. What is the easiest way to get started with TK?
    (BTW i've been lurking for the *gasp* past 1 day(i know what your thinking, "wtf a parentheses in a parentheses?" and yes, so be quiet and like it!))

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keyong View Post
    Basically im looking at collecting TK. All i have so far is the BFSP box set and ive had about 3 months to go over the rules and paint my models and now im looking at starting to collect an army. What is the easiest way to get started with TK?
    (BTW i've been lurking for the *gasp* past 1 day(i know what your thinking, "wtf a parentheses in a parentheses?" and yes, so be quiet and like it!))

Pretty open question, but here goes.

First up, what sized army do you want? You need to decide this before choosing what to buy. Number of characters, special and rare units depend on army size.

Are there any models or units you love or hate? Regardless of advice here, go with what you like.

Next we have what you already own bs what you want or need. The box will make you 3 chariots, 8 light or heavy cavalry and 36 (?) skellys with bow or hand weapon/shield. Total points ... 500 to 600. You at very least need a tomb king/prince and a lich priest.

I would get at least another 3 chariots but if you don't like them fine. Heavy cav suck so make them light cav with bows. Ditto skellys - bows for at least 20. May even want more.

Next are things you can add. Scorpions are good and quite cheap. Tomb guard are our only real elite infantry. Ushabti look cool and can be useful. Carrion fly so march blocking and charging archers, gun crew etc. Screaming skull catapult a must ( at least one). Casket of souls ditto, though depends on point size of army and your style of play.

Avoid heavy cav. Bone giant also not much good. Scorpions in preference to swarms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i want is something that looks good, and is fairly easy to paint, (like no 1mm tiny details, you know, stuff a mediocre painter can't do XD) Im thinking just getting a tiny-ish army and have some "fun" with them like the battle set and just like 2 blisters for a prince and a LP? would that work as a start???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keyong View Post
    What i want is something that looks good, and is fairly easy to paint, (like no 1mm tiny details, you know, stuff a mediocre painter can't do XD) Im thinking just getting a tiny-ish army and have some "fun" with them like the battle set and just like 2 blisters for a prince and a LP? would that work as a start???
    Ah ok. You at least need prince and priest but yeah you could play with that. Scorpion is a cool model and best of all easy to paint. Most TK stuff easy to paint: spray base colour (bone), paint other bits just a flat colour, maybe bit of drybrushing white over bone, then ... "dip"! It's basically tin of stain you dip figures in, or paint all over and shake off excess. Easy and looks quite good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

First of all, welcome to LO both of you!

Hope you enjoy your stay... Please Keyong, specify your question more clearly so that I could try to help you out

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my two cents, I would suggest the liche on foot/mounted blister right off. It gives you a couple characters, for one thing, and also you NEED a prince and priest with even the smallest army, so if nothing else, you can use the priest on foot and call him a prince until you decide if you want to buy more troops or not.

Next up: Scorpion. These guys look awesome, aren't too hard to paint, and are like sex on a stick in battle, plus they'll get you good an familiar with the "It came from below!" rules that all of the TK's bugs possess.

Skelly warriors are a must. They're weak, and they cost a fair bit point wise, but they're still our mainstay troops and the cheapest thing we have to mark "Outnumber" in combats for autobreaks so you've gotta have 'em. I'd suggest going either sword armor and board for the 4+ save in melee, or bows to keep them cheap(ish) and versitile.

After this is more personal flair, I'd suggest another box of skellies and a catapault, but really I suggest re-assessing after you finish painitng. You may find that you're hungry for something a bit more detailed (in which case, a blister or two of swarms and ushabti might be in order).

I will say, though, that I don't suggest the battalion box right out of the gate. The chariots will be a special choice unless you get a king (which means a 2000 point army) and simply put, there's better specials to field then them before then. Also, while I personally like the models for horsemen, they're about worthless in-game. So, that just leaves you with two boxes of skellies.

Of course, if you're still wanting to do the chariots, then you might as well go with the box. With most of the boxes, they're priced so that you're getting one unit free, which is about all I'd pay for horsemen...
    WFB: Dark Elves; Tomb Kings; and Orcs (oh my!)
    40k: Tyranids (2nd ed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice guys, i think im gonna probably do what cthulu_fred suggested, gonna have to see how much money i have lying around in the fund box....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option you may want to consider, especially if you're on a budget, is eBay. When I first started with the TK, I spent about a month lurking on eBay for good deals. I ended up snagging two really good deals that ended up filling out 90% of my army.

The first was an out-of-print army box similar to the Spearheads some of the newer armies have gotten. It had about 1500 poitns worth of troops, which I managed to snag for about 50% of the price of buying them piecemeal from GW.

The other buy was an actual army that someone had painted/assembled/based. The quality was actually a lot better then anything I could manage, and it had pretty much everything else I'd ever want to field. The best part of the deal? The guy sold the army for about 60% off what you'd pay buying them un-assembled.

Now admittedly, a lot of folks don't like to consider this option, as you a) don't get to pose and b) don't get to paint. But if you're thinking with your wallet, you can get a lot more bang for your buck buying used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest getting (in addition to what has been spoken of) a TK on a chariot.

if you use one of your existing chariots, you'd have to get another box of chariots to have your 3 minimum for the unit+ the TK/Prince

model the king/prince on a base and shave a bit off the inside walls of the chariot to get the base to fit nicely inside.

now you'll have a tk/prince on foot + a Chariot for him if you want to use one.

BTW you'll need a bit of patience with the scorps and Catapult. they aren't too "modeler friendly"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hymnofnot View Post
    BTW you'll need a bit of patience with the scorps and Catapult. they aren't too "modeler friendly"
    Very true, while I've yet to put my SSC together, my scorpions generally need a lot of reglueing. The little legs are a pain in the butt. But they're still the bread-winners for your army, even if they're prone to Crumble IRL

+ Reply to Thread