Topic of the Week - Tomb Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Tomb Guard

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Tomb Guard

Is the full command worth the points? What banner do you take? How do you use the unit? And how many Guard do you have in each unit?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Tomb Guard is always
    25 large
    icon of rakaph with a King who has the DoE

its the toughest, and scariest unit i have.
    People fear the Icon of Rakaph

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I take 20 with FC, rakaph and a nearly naked prince. It hasn't yet run into a heavy cav unit that didn't taste good with a little barbecue sauce, and any infantry unit that can stand up to it eats flaming skull and gets pincushioned into submission before battle is joined. The prince is there for a little extra wound potential, but mainly for in-house incantations. The unit really doesn't need the DoE king to perform.

/edit/

Also, I go 7x3, I find that 7 models against 5 does me more good than the extra rank.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they're a great unit but unfortunately, I play a high liche priest army so I don't have the special slots for tomb guard. Got 3 chariots, 4 ushabti, 5 carrion and a tomb scorpion and I don't think I could part with any of them. If I ran a king army id definately have a block of 20 with full command and BotUL or icon of rakaph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always try to get a full unit of TG+IoR+TK or TP.

They "encourage" enemy units to go elsewhere in my gaming group as they don't often fail.

Recently they came unstuck when they ended up in combat with 20 slayers.....battle of attrition doesn't fully explain the next 4 turns.

As a sad aside I do try to get my front 2 ranks with raised swords and the following ranks with their swords by their sides. Looks like they REALLY mean business!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

I almost always take them when I run a king instead of the high priest, usually 20+, but I've went with less when points were scarce. I'll take the Icon of Rakaph and almost always stick a prince inside who I've found enjoys that terror causing death mask. The unit will usually advance with a block of skellies and some chariots. Carrion hang around the middle of my army ready to drop behind units for a cross-fire kill. Since they are slow I find it's best to run them in such a group.
    I find the tomb guard are not so deadly, but the fact that they rez well helps and opponents seem to fear them, sending elites against them that might be better off elsewhere. The thing I like about that Icon is that I can be angling the TG(or whoever) away from the intended target, luring it in before turning and charging headlong....or sometimes just moving past than hitting with a rear attack. Before the charge is when I'll line them into 7 across.
    With their expense it seems that regular skeletons might perform better....except they don't have the cool fluff.
    The legions of Palos[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=100375

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Palos View Post
    With their expense it seems that regular skeletons might perform better....except they don't have the cool fluff.
    Actually, the upgrades they get for the increased points cost are ridiculously cheap! What hurts is the special slot they take up. If there were a special character allowing core TG...look out! You'd start seeing armies with three blocks of 20 TG, each led by a king or prince, at 2000 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot fathom fielding a Tomb King army without Tomb Guard. They're the only unit we have that doesn't require massive babysitting, they're only marginally more expensive than the vastly inferior Skeletons and they look way better. I field 20-25 with the obligatory Icon of Rakaph regardless of my Lord choice at 2k. I haven't fielded a HLP in a long time, but I only ran one Scorpion in the list to make room (and won handily against High Elves). I tend to put my King in this unit with whatever gear I feel like using. I march this unit wherever I don't want my enemy to be and they all avoid the unit like the Black Death. The only opposing unit that will even think of engaging this unit are Swordmasters (big shock), but they always seem to fail Fear tests and end up running away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the saying goes...
    "Fear is our friend".

Playing against the so-called hard Warriors of Chaos is a joy as they always seem to run away against me. Why my opponent doesn't give them the mark of Tzeench I think it is (the one that confers ItP on them) is beyond me - he always moans a bucketful when they leg it

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Well...they are rock hard...but tooled up phoenix guard can allegedly take them, and forget about charging blood knights...but yeah, the list pretty much ends right there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast