What makes Tomb Kings so Special to You? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    King of Curiosity AltheAlchemist's Avatar
    547 I'm Not Telling You Where i live street! in the town of Don't Even Try to Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

What makes Tomb Kings so Special to You?

Tomb Kings was my first army, the reason I chose them was because they had a variety of things, magic, cavalry, archers, war machines, monsters etc... However what makes tomb kings really special to me is two things,

1) The Egyptian Theme

2) A Completely Unique play style

The Egyptian theme of the army is so important to me because I am a huge history nerd and for me the more ancient and mysterious the more interesting. I especially love Egypt because they were so unique and sophisticated in their culture and engineering. For this reason I also love Lizardmen but for some reason have never bothered to try them out.

However the Tomb Kings play style is what really attracts me to the army. When I first started out I made all the TK noob mistakes. I built spearmen, I bought a bone giant, I used heavy cavalry, and I pretty much just used the army like I saw everyone else use theirs. However once I discovered librarium-online, I finally found out how I was supposed to play from veterans of the army. But by this time 7th edition was rolling around and every army around me was bigger, stronger, and faster. But this didn't matter because tomb kings can do a variety of things others can not. Tomb kings can outwit their opponents with tricky uses of magic, I love to just move my chariots slowly accross the battlefield only to have them move 12 inches in one turn, flanking my opponents. Tomb Kings, when played correctly are one of the most reliable and satisfying armies to use. For every weakness we have a strength, with weak soldiers, we get strong monsters, with terrible cavalry, we get cheaper chariots. I can only hope that in the new 7th/8th edition Tomb Kings book they will allow us to retain their hard to learn but efficient play style.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Warhammer army. I used to do 40K and fancied a change. I was told by a GW'er that they were hard to learn to play effectively but I'm a intelligent guy and "how hard can it be?". After getting my rear kicked several times I realised what he meant.

I love the fact they don't run but would like a stand and shoot reaction. Like you I enjoy the Egyptian theme and feel content playing TK.

I also have DE, VC and am starting my "secret from the wife" army of Beastmen. I don't think I like "good" armies.

I do feel an affinity with TK that I don't with the others and try to look after my guys on the battlefield whenever possible. DE and VC - well I have no feeling when they die.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Their cuddly demeanor and svelte physiques.

Alog with an interesting mythology to draw upon and excellent tactical challenges.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fluff, definately, but also the ushabti models, boy are they awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

It's all about fluff... Nowadays. And that I've got fond of the skellies, after so much practise

I mean, Liber Necris, there you got it!

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    It's all about fluff... Nowadays. And that I've got fond of the skellies, after so much practise

I mean, Liber Necris, there you got it!

//Nagash
    The Mummy was a nice movie to inspire that. The fluff is amazing, and I always like that they are a true neutral faction. They are like Clint eastwood in Gran Turino, "get off my lawn!".
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack View Post
    The Mummy was a nice movie to inspire that. The fluff is amazing, and I always like that they are a true neutral faction. They are like Clint eastwood in Gran Turino, "get off my lawn!".
    They are like... Tomb Kings in WHFB

The Mummy was indeed a good movie when talking inspiration for the Egyptian theme

//Nagash

Ask Nagash! Click on the banner...
    WiP TK Army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to say Theme, Fluff, And Models (Clean Shiny Undead, And Ushabti)
    Perfect Opposite of my Skaven. (Not to mention how the Skaven/TK Fluff intertwine with the threat of Nagash) [not the one in the above post].
    Only army I own that's FULLY painted.
    Only army that I keep in a display case when not in use.
    Only army that I enjoy completely, win or lose.

...and how my opponents eyes roll when I recite "Incantation of Urgency" for the 4th time in a turn.
    Last edited by hymnofnot; June 18th, 2010 at 23:10.
    "Today is thanksgiving day for cats. But only if they came back from the dead"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tomb Kings are one of my 2 favorite armies mainly because of Fluff, i think what drew me too them too begin with was the fact that they are a swath of undead, skeletons and mummies alike, and yet aren't actually "evil" like the stereotype of dead stuff would have you believe, I'm sure there are plenty of tyrant Tks out there, but seeing a lot of them just being kings that woke up expecting too be in paradise only too find that their bodies are a rotting carcass, it just adds so much character and feel too the Kings themselves, and they even make the skeletons have somewhat of a personality...
    "They fight and serve their king exactly as the did in life". I dare say they just want too end their miserable existence and find the heaven they were promised when they were alive.

The Play Style is extremely rewarding, no other army fights like them, and that alone can win you fights. You can prepare your army for a "type" of army IE: shooting, hordes, magic, Giant Monsters, etc, but in the end Tomb Kings have all that and then some. Nothing else in the game is immune too miscasts (reliable!), can make their units shoot/attack twice, or give a attack threat range as great as them, Tk chariots with a prince/king with them can strike up to 24" away if u get away with your Will, that's just scary.

And finally i have too agree with Al and say that the Egyptian look is awesome and a wonderful refreshment from some of the more medevil feel that Warhammer can bring, truly a Unique Race/Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the fluff and egyptian theme give them a unique style which i really like. A mass of chariots also is great fun. But what really brought me to tomb kings which was since it was my first army, was the paintability of the models. Honestly if you can paint bone even an amateur like me can make a decent looking army. Then, when you start to get good, you can really make the army look amazing. I don't believe i've ever seen an ugly tomb guard army but i sure have seen some amazing ones. Nothing looks quite as good as a mass of white bone crossing the battlefield.
    "I've seen you humans trying to forge an empire in the name of a corpse. I have seen your churches to the machine. Racially, your fear and superstitions are most gratifying. You will make excellent subjects"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast