Screaming Skull Catapult targetting priorities - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screaming Skull Catapult targetting priorities

Well the title sums it up. I haven't played a game yet but have been watching a lot of games at the local store seeing how other play their armies. It got me ot thinking. I know how the SSC works as straight up mechanics, but how are people finding them in practice and with a targeting order.

For example I was watching a VC vs Lizardman fight and was torn about how to deal with the VC's. Do you catapult the vampire lord? The giant unit of ghouls? The corpse cart and attached necro?

To sum it up, do you aim for individuals first (lords, heroes, war machines and monsters) or for masses of troops, be they skavenslaves, zombies or units of saurus warriors or ironbreakers?

And is i worth it still to grab the Skulls of the Foes upgrade, and if so any armies ot not bother or must have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

Hi Ashannon, nice idea for a thread -and probably a topic that's long overdue for debate.

Pretty much every army you face will field a BFM of some kind, these invariably come on a 50mm base and include things like hydras, dragons and treemen -and as such are almost always public enemy number one in my book. These big dudes are actually a bit easier to deal with in 8th ed but they will still require you to throw an inordinately large amount of points at them to bring them down, so the SSC is clearly a lot more efficient. BFMs like these are really hard for us to deal with in any other way now that the Destroyer of Eternities has fallen out of favour a bit, so this use of the SSC is pretty much mandatory IMHO.

After this it gets a bit fuzzy and all comes down to a judgement call.

Now that we are seeing a lot of big horde sized blocks that can give our sucky troops no end of trouble, I am quite fond of using the SSC to reduce their numbers to the point where our smaller blocks can grind out a win. Since most of the horde blocks tend to be pretty weak core troops, all those strength 3 hits can really dish out some hurt. Couple that with a volley or two from our archers and those big horde blocks aren't nearly so intimidating.

I'm still not sold on the effectiveness of SotF in 8th. They used to be a no brainer in 7th, but now... *shrug*
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

My targeting priorities:

1) BSB
    2) BSB
    3) BSB
    4) Monsters and other big beasties
    5) Elite blocks
    ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it depends on who you are playing against. I played against some brets and he put his only wizard in a unit of 50 Men at arms, who were right next to the table edge. 1st turn a combination of Skulls of the Foe, a hit, and Iceshard Blizzard from my Caster King had them off the board turn 1. ^^
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my favorite 7E target was big ol' blocks of armoured up elite troops. But now, that has gone into the toilet. Now I would use it as a pinpoint S9 multi-wound pounding to the 1 thing on the board that scared me the most or the 1 thing that I think would help cripple the enemy; whatever that may be. It will usually be something that I think can cause me lots of damage quickly. If there's not one of those then I go for maximum damage which probably means find the unit with the least amount of armour and/or lowest toughness. I always keep in the back of my mind though that if there's a low leadership unit around that has strayed from the BSB, no matter the armour/toughness, I would try and drop it right on that unit so I can cause panic with that one S9 hit; not a situation I expect to run into against a good general, but you never know. I would also use it as a backup enemy war machine basher in case dwarfs were around since they don't have low armour / low leadership troops or any BFMs.

If the BSB is wandering around by himself, then he would probably be the target; I would not try and hit anything that gets the "Look Out Sir!" because of the low percentage of success. The BSB is quite the important dude in 8E now; except for us it seems. I still can't force him into my army; but that is a different topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin Khan View Post
    I think it depends on who you are playing against. I played against some brets and he put his only wizard in a unit of 50 Men at arms, who were right next to the table edge. 1st turn a combination of Skulls of the Foe, a hit, and Iceshard Blizzard from my Caster King had them off the board turn 1. ^^
    That'll teach him to not leave such a large unit out of range of the BSB deployed at the table edge.

Though, even if the BSB was around, tossing a -1 Leadership penalty and a +1 panic test penalty at'em and smacking them with skulls is a nasty little combo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL177 View Post
    That'll teach him to not leave such a large unit out of range of the BSB deployed at the table edge.

Though, even if the BSB was around, tossing a -1 Leadership penalty and a +1 panic test penalty at'em and smacking them with skulls is a nasty little combo
    The best thing is that he was within range of his BsB. he was at a rerollable Ld of 6 however
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I'm not so sure the S9 center of the template is all that important any more...ANYTHING wounds ANYTHING on a 6 now, so I'd rather just use massed arrow fire to bring down a dragon, and use the SSC against troop formations...especially the BSB bus. I don't care if I hit the BSB personally, but the sooner I get that unit run off the board or at least run out of range of the troops looking to benefit from a reroll, the sooner the rest of the dominos fall. And I recently hit 13 greatswords with a single SSC template, killing 7 models. And that's just one shot from one catapult....fire a pair of them twice on turn one at the same target, and anything short of chaos warriors will be running off the board right away.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephthysis View Post
    My targeting priorities:

1) BSB
    2) BSB
    3) BSB
    4) Monsters and other big beasties
    5) Elite blocks
    Focus all fire on the BSB (unit containing the BS until he and it are gone. Then follow Neph's 4/5.

+ Reply to Thread