Need your guys opinion on a small project I'm working on - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need your guys opinion on a small project I'm working on

Hi All,

I've been working on developing a Demigod / Defense of The Ancients / Heroes of Newerth / Warhammer skirmish level of game, for our playing group.

Basically our choices are only characters from the Hero-level from across all available army books. As the Tomb Kings characters are intricately linked to their army, setting them up as a standalone fight against other heroes maybe abit unfair :p After all, who wants to play a 115 point Level 1 wizard that can't march...well you get the idea

Hence, I'm in the midst of modifying the system abit to make our heroes a more viable choice. I would appreciate some comments on the following:

An Icon Bearer can use one incantation per turn (power level D6), on his own unit (unit being a unit of characters that fight and move together)
    A Tomb Prince can use one incantation per turn (power level D6), on his own unit or a friendly character within 6"
    A Liche Priest can use one incantation per turn (power level 2D6), with a range of 12"

The Icon Bearer knows the two Common incantations

The Liche Priest knows four incantations, chosen from the Common and Clerical incantations

The Tomb Prince knows two incantations, chosen from the Common and Royal incantations

A Liche Priest can know an additional incantation from the Common and Clerical Incantations at a cost of +10 points per incantation
    A Tomb Prince can know an additional incantation from the Common and Royal Incantations at a cost of +10 points per incantation

A Liche Priest can increase the number of incantations he can intone by 1 for +20 points
    A Tomb Prince can increase the number of incantations he can intone by 1 for +15 points

This does not count towards the magic item allowance

Liche Priest base cost reduced to 90 points

While the existing Incantations have an immeidate effect, the new Incantations effects lasts until the beginnin of the casters next magic phase, much like some of the spells in the BRB

The Common Incantations

Incantation of Urgency (extra movement phase)
    Incantation of Righteous Smiting (extra combat phase)

The Clerical Incantations

Incantation of Summoning (heals D3 wounds)
    Incantation of Vengeance (D6 S4 hits that ignores ward saves, magic missile)
    Incantation of Renewal (Regeneration 4+)
    Incantation of Endurance (+1 Toughness)

The Royal Incantations

Incantation of Proficiency (+3 Weapon Skill)
    Incantation of Ancient Splendour (Each opponent not in combat with line of sight must take an Ld test or is unable to move in the next movement phase. Opponents in close combat suffer from the ASL rule instead)
    Incantation of Vigor (+3 Initiative)
    Incantation of Might (+1 Strength)

Thank you all!!!

Last edited by Yamabushi; October 1st, 2010 at 09:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~

I dunno about LPs, but TPs seem like they'd be very strong in your system even "stock," what with the ability to give themselves extra movement, an extra attack, having 3 wounds (does any other hero have 3?) and T5....being ITP...they have a lot to recommend them.

LPs, OTOH...yah, they're support characters, not offensive casters, so they probably need some mods to make them viable. Even just waiving their 50 point magic item limit would probably help a lot. Maybe replace that with a limit of 2-3 items that individually can't cost more than 50 points...so you could get a staff of ravening AND a 4++ invul. Between the staff and the Vengeance incantation, you'd be in business for offensive magic.

IBs...yeah, they blow all the way around...maybe the only thing that could save them is to give them a modified BOTUL...one that irresistibly (no miscast, either) raises D6 stock sword'n'board skellies every turn as long as there's an enemy within 12" and the IB is alive? That way, you can't hang back and build a skellie horde to overwhelm the enemy with numbers, but the IB actually does something useful.

As for your proposed incantations, Ancient Splendor, Vigor and Renewal are too strong...reduce them to +2I and 5+ regen, and you probably have balance. And for Ancient Splendor, those not in combat should only be march-blocked, not frozen in place, while those in combat should be: lose ASF if they have it, -2I if they don't, not ASL.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Marnepup for your views!

About the Prince....There will be no normal troops for them to support, it's all heroes versus heroes. Each player essentially gets 250 points to spend on heroes alone, which will level up across the course of the game; no other "normal" troops are allowed. While the Prince is good value for points, opponents such as O&G and Empire can field "mini hero squads" for more versatility, since experience is earned by holding objectives and killing enemy heroes; while Ogre Bruisers and Vampires can still put up a fight.

Nice spin on how to make the LP viable! I'll keep that in mind. Kudos

IBs... Well, I'm at a loss of why players would want a Tomb King Icon Bearer in their team. Right now I'm making him a cheap source of Incantations to contribute to the Magic Phase, and to provide spell redundancy in conjunction with the other heroes. Perhaps making Killing Blow an innate ability no matter what weapons he use? Or just make the IB a Prince upgrade?

You are probably right about Vigor, Renewal and Splendor. We'll try it out

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Sounds good. I still think the prince is pretty stout as-is. 250 points makes it pretty hard to fit in two equipped heroes! You're starting from a base of 215 points for a TK player to have a prince and a priest, leaving just 35 points for equipment. Yuck! Even if you give the prince only mundane equipment (greatsword and light armor), you're looking at around a 25 point allowance for the priest. That buys...not much. Maybe a ruby ring? I wouldn't waste points on any protection for the priest if he can't get a 4+ ward save...and that would be my first priority wargear overall, but it doesn't fit in the budget!

I just don't think TK is viable in your system with a 250 point cap. 300, sure, but not 250. If I were forced to play TK under those conditions, I'd be really tempted to take two princes with 25 points of gear appiece (give one the ruby ring, light armor, and a magic shield, and the other one a great weapon, light armor, and the dragon helm).
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Hence the lowering of the Priest price tag to 90. I feel it's reasonable for a slow-moving level 1 Wizard that cannot miscast, but knows all spells :p If you do want a priest and prince, thats a starting cost of 190, leaving 60 points for gear. You will also gain extra points to spend on gear as you capture objectives and defeat enemy heroes.

+ Reply to Thread