Need critique of a character being made for a contest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need critique of a character being made for a contest

Howdy all,

The local GW is having a competition for a Lord character. No rules for making it or what he can have but anyone who makes the 8's all across the board and ward save of 2 won't do very well in the judging. ;-)

Anyways, I've decided to go with King Phar from the Tomb King book. Phar's an interesting one as he was the only king Settra could not defeat, only conquering Mahrak after Phar dies. When Phar woke up, he flipped out, destroyed his descendants for bowing to Settra and begin resisting Settra again. (Settra must love this dude...)

Anyways...

King Phar the Unconquerable, Lord of Mahrak, Bane of Settra Points 625
    MV-4 WS-8 BS-4 S-5 T-5 W-4 I-6 A-Special Ld-10
    Weapon: Flail of Skulls
    Armor: Regalia of Mahrak
    Items: Amulet of Incantations
    Mount: Living Chariot of Nehekhara
    Rules: Flammable, Unbreakable, Unstable, Terror, Hatred:Greenskins(All the lore in the book indicates this one) Phar's Arrogance, Phar's Command, Phar's Wrath, Chariot Mastery, Curse of King Phar

Flammable, Unstable, Unbreakable, Terror and hatred are all strait from the rule book :-)

Phar's Arrogance - King Phar must be the army general. An army led by King Phar may not have any other Lord choices in it. In addition Phar may not join or be joined by any other character or unit while mounted on the Living Chariot of Nehekhara.

Phar's Command - King Phar receives the standard two "Thy Will Be Done" as any Tomb King. The Amulet of Incantation is an enchanted item which grants him the casting ability of a Liche Priest as well. (One incantation at power level 2d6+1. Phar cannot dispel or channel dispel dice) In addition, King Phar may use all four Nehekharan incantation with his "Thy Will Be Done" at power level d6.

Phar's Command - King Phar must accept any challenges. King Phar may challenge any champion, character or monster. If the figure challenged wishes to decline they must make a successful leadership test to do so. Failure means they must fight King Phar. If King Phar is riding the Living Chariot of Nehekhara, the chariot does not join the challenge but instead fights any unit currently engaged by King Phar.

Chariot Mastery - This allows a player to re-roll the die for impact hits. If re-rolled the player must accept the second result, even if it is worse.

Curse of King Phar - If King Phar is killed by any means and is on foot, all units, both friendly and enemy within 8 inches takes 2d6 S2 hits. If King Phar is still riding the Living Chariot of Nehekhara all units, both friendly and enemy take 2d6 S4 attacks. All attacks are randomized as shooting.

Flail of Skulls - King Phar wields the original Flail of Skulls. His combat mastery and styles are legendary. To show this Phar can use the flail either 1 handed or 2 handed, with each style having different effects. King Phar always gets 2 attacks with his Flail and no means can make him deviate from his style. King Phar cannot gain or lose any attacks from any spell, item or special ability.

1-handed - King Phar gains 2d6 attacks from the Flail, as each of the flails 6 heads slam into opponents. The Flail uses the normal rules for a flail with the exception of it is both one handed and grants King Phar the "Always Strikes First" rule.

2 handed - King Phar gains 2d3-1 attacks from the Flail and it is treated as a great weapon. Any unsaved wounds inflicted by a 2-handed attack are doubled.

Regalia of Mahrak - The armor is entirely ornamental and provides no armor save. It's magical properties grant King Phar a 3+ regeneration save as well as allowing King Phar to re-direct any ranged, shooting or magical attack that targets him to any unit within 4 inches or to his chariot on a roll of a 5+. This works on effects that normally do not allow a save such as cannons. (See Settra's Golden Armor of Magnificence)

Living Chariot of Nehekhara
    MV-6 WS-4 BS-0 S-6 T-6 W-5 I-1 A-8 Ld-10
    Rules: Undead Construct, Monster, Chariot, Heavily Armored (3+ armor save, so 2+ total)

The Living Chariot is a unique undead construct made by orders of King Phar by the Liche Priests of Mahrak to rival Settra's Chariot of the Gods. It looks like a massive chariot drawn by 8 skeletal horses but is in fact one large unified construct, controlled by the will of King Phar.

Undead Construct - As the Tomb King Book

Chariot - As the rule books except it has 1d6+1 S 6 impact hits, and ignores the "No Stomp" rule.

Monster - As per the rule book except if King Phar is slain, the Living Chariot is removed as per the Curse of King Phar and the Living Chariot provides no form of armor save to King Phar. The Living Chariot has the Thunderstomp rule with it receiving 1d6 S 6 attacks.

The Living Chariot of Nehekhara has a 4+ ward save against war machines and magical attacks that target it. (Not against close combat or regular ranged or shooting attacks)

That's my ideas. Any thoughts, criticisms, advice, or balancing ideas would be greatly appreciated, due to part of the contest is actually building, painting and playing the model in a 3000 point game.

Last edited by Ashannon; December 30th, 2010 at 18:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

WOW.... That guy is one tough guy to kill! I think he may be just a weee bit overpowering for only 625 pts. some things i saw
    1.so he can do all the incats for his my will be done AND has a high liches power's ? that's any 2 of the four at D6 and any 2 of the four at 3D6 and he counts a s a level 3 for dispelling reasons.

2. I like the challenge idea but i think it should be he can challenge any champ or character in a unit even if they are not eligible to fight, to turn down they must pass a initiative test maybe ? i don't think that they should be able to challenge monsters however, that just seems over the top.

3. i see what your trying to do with the flail of skulls and it is cool but i think that if you were to use the rules as is for the flail, give him a set number of attacks(like 5 or something) and then say he always gets the strength bonus for the flail instead of just the first round of combat.

4. the chariot seems all good except for the attacks, or possibly the strength, having both means that hypothetically the most it could do is 8 S6 impact hits, 8 S6 attracts followed by 6 S4 thunder stomp, I'm not sure any one model in the game should be that overpowering especially since its got a guy on top who him self does massive amounts of damage.

5. much like settra you restricted the characters that can accompany him, unlike settra he has the power of the high lich without the repetitions of also being the hirophant for the army, so people could send there best troops to attack him and possibly kill him only to find out that your army is not soon going to crumble to dust after what was probably a very hard and disheartening battle.

those are the glaring problems that i see right there. I would definably tone him down a lot or raise his points cost innumerably!

Sorry if my CC come's off as rude but honestly if i knew that that bad boy was sitting across the table from me i would probably shake hands right then.
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, you seemed to miss a few things so lets start

1) Phar uses an enchanted item to cast as a Liche Priest, not a Liche High Priest. He gets access to all for types of incantations. He does 2 at a d6 power level and 1 at 2d6+1 power level. He cannot dispel or channel for dispel dice. (Same as Settra as per the errata) So if you can stop the item, you negate Phar's magic. Plus at the lower levels a decent level caster should shut down the first 2 d6's easy and just need to worry about the other 2d6+1 one.

2) What's wrong with challenging monsters? They'd be one of the few things able to really smack Phar and his chariot around easily. Especially stuff with any form of flame attacks aka dragons. Also, being able to challenge any character on the board without being in contact with the unit would be overpowering, least this way Phar has to chase you down.

3&4) Just wanted to switch up with the magic weapon. Remember since Phar cannot join any unit hes more than likely going to be instantly down 5-7 for combat res. Unless he gets the impact hits and stomps he very well could die to combat res to a 100 unit of skaven slaves. I think the impact and stomp could be lower safely though. (changed in original post)

5) But since Phar doesn't allow any other lords, if you kill him, won't be too hard ot go kill the normal liche priest who's the hierophant.
    Last edited by Ashannon; December 30th, 2010 at 18:42.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

he would still have to be in base contact with the unit that had the character, but if say your on a flank and someone has there bsb on the front and doesn't want them in the fight they don't have to "make way" they can opt to leave them there. his ability could be to force them to fight if they fail an initiative test.

i must have missed the incantation thing, my bad.

im not sure what why he would be down by so much, first of since he is a chariot he should be charging or moving to charge not getting in bad spots to get charged himself. if he is going against a really good CC unit then they really on kills not static, if its a static unit they on average will have 3 ranks and a banner and are really easy to kill. so he wont win combat by lots but no matter what he is fighting it shouldn't matter, with static units being steadfast and great units usually having a high LD. I don't think he will lose lots of combat the way he is.
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

+ Reply to Thread