Going out with a bang! The last march of my legion. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going out with a bang! The last march of my legion.

In light of the coming book in May, I've been taking my legion out for a last spin with the soon to be old book. I'll be challenging the other players in my local game store to 2k ~ 3k battles. This thread will be part battle report, part tactics advice thread. So...chip in whenever you can guys

My first battle was a win against 2k Dark Elves, the chariots were the MVPs of the game, bagging Assassins in Shades and helping to run down his Level 4 Supreme Sorceress. Once again, my TG champion proved his worth by landing successful KBs on his BSB - that particular model has beheaded two skaven assassins, a beastmen BSB and Chaos Exalted heroes.... now I get to add in a DE head

The second battle was 3k, against WOC. Imagine my horror when Archaon (and the Swords of Chaos) and Wulfrik turned up on the board. But it turned out to be a victory for my legion, I must have burned all my luck that day, because Archaon died to the King's Curse (rofl) Everyone in the shop was whooping when that happened.

Next up would be 3k against VCs. Any ideas how to handle the souped up killy Vamp Lord? I haven't fought VC in a long time, so any tips would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Apart from crying in a corner when the vamp lord hit's you it's best to almost ignore him and try to kill his army from under him, it sounds crazy and their's probably better ways to win but throwing a curve ball and confusing your opponent will make his plans fall apart as he switches from trying to win to managing the chaotic situation.
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about the Hex Scroll? Making the uber Vamp Lord into a puny frog should prove to be a sure kick in the nuts... He will be a Lvl 2 wizard max, so theres a 3+ chance of that happening ^.^

Failing which, tie him down with a unit champion, and proceed to slaughter the rest of his unit. Does anyone know how does the collar of shapesh works with Killing Blow? I read it as thus:

Failing his ward save, the King loses all 4 wounds, for each of those wounds, he rolls a 4+, transferring successful ones to nearby guys. That sound correct?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

It's worthwhile to try it even if it's just for the comedy element, vampire frog ftw!

What I'm thinking about is that if it's a 3k game it's quite possible that he'll take Mannfred Von carstein which would be horrific as he is literally 'Mr Dominator'. He know's a rediculous amount of spells.
    Come see my Necrons, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Orks, Goblins and anything else I feel like painting at my blog: http://modelminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

You'd be better off with the feedback scroll...the stupid hex scroll has about a .000005% chance of working, and then it's got a 50% chance of reversing itself every turn!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I came up with this funky list for a try....

LORDS
    Settra The Imperishable

HEROES
    Tomb Prince
    Great Weapon
    Armor of Destiny

Tomb Prince
    Great Weapon
    Golden Ankhra

Tomb Prince
    Armor of Fortune
    Great Weapon

CORE TROOPS
    Archers x 40
    Full Command

Chariots x 4
    Standard
    Warbanner

Chariots x 4
    Standard
    Banner of The Eternal Flame

SPECIAL
    Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Banner of The Undying Legion

Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Icon of The Sacred Eye

Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Icon of Rakaph

Tomb Scorpion

LORDS
    Settra The Imperishable

HEROES
    Tomb Prince
    Great Weapon
    Armor of Destiny

Tomb Prince
    Great Weapon
    Golden Ankhra

Tomb Prince
    Armor of Fortune
    Great Weapon

CORE TROOPS
    Archers x 40
    Full Command

Chariots x 4
    Standard
    Warbanner

Chariots x 4
    Standard
    Banner of The Eternal Flame

SPECIAL
    Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Banner of The Undying Legion

Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Icon of The Sacred Eye

Tomb Guard x 25
    Full Command
    Icon of Rakaph

Tomb Scorpion

Whaddaya think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another update!

Had a blast against VC using the list mentioned above. He fielded two Vampire Lords (one mounted), both with Infinite Hatred and Red Fury with Strength boosting items, as well as a Necromancer, a mounted Wight King BSB and 2 normal Vampires (one with Forbidden Lore:Light). The rest of his army included a 20+ strong unit of Grave Guard, 8 black knights, a 20+ Skellie bunker, and 3 units of 20+ ghouls.

After deployment and vanguard movements, I had the 40 man archer block screening my 3 Tomb Guard units (each with a Prince) and Settra, with the two chariots on each flank, and the Scorpion buried behind his lines. Facing me from left to right was the Black Knights (with mounted Vamp Lord and Wight King BS, Skellie with Vamp, Ghouls, Grave Guard with Vamp Lord and another Vamp, Ghouls with Necromancer and Ghouls.

Suffice to say, by turn two, the center had became a gigantic brawl, with his Grave Guard decimating the Archer screen, which bought enough time for them to be flanked on both sides by my two Tomb Guard units, which were in turn flanked and rear charged by his Skellies and Ghouls. In my magic phase, Smiting successfully offed all his characters (2 vamps and the Necromancer) - Killing Blow FTW! Even his Vamp Lord had to take a Ward Save to avoid being decapitated (which he sadly passed).

The decisive turn came after the Archers finally crumbled, leaving a wide open arc when Settra and the chariots on the right flank charged home. In the following combat round, the King of Nehekhara earned his title by taking on the S7 Hatred-Red Fury Vamp Lord and 8 Grave Guards, and only suffering a single wound on his chariot. VC subsequently crumbled by 20+ and his center collapsed.

I then made a risky gamble which didn't pay off: After his center was annihilated, my opponent charged his Black Knights in to engage my decimated Tomb Guard units, if I had just left them to die, then I would have won by over 700 points, since technically I've only lost the Archers; but I just had to charge Settra in. My opponent passed a Ld5 leadership check, so...Settra went poof in the resulting CR loss

Overall, a fun game for the both of us. Next up, fighting against the Gnoblar Horde!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has inspired me to pick my kings up again :LThank you!
    Looking through ur list it is ILLEGAL each one of ur chariot units took a magic banner HOW DARE YOU ITS SO OVERPOWERED! With the +1 combat res those chariots could destroy armies....

(im joking about it being overpowered of course =P just thought i would mention it )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, thanks Undivided for noticing that.... and good luck in your games too! ^.^

Right, a short battle report against the Gnoblar Horde (army list from some issue of White Dwarf):

The legions of my soldiers are vastly outnumbered, facing 2 giants, 2 scraplaunchers, vast swarms of little green men and three Head Honchos, one with Wizard Hat on foot and the other two, one of it being the general, mounted on Rhinoxen.

I concentrated on the left side of the table, my right flank being protected by a river which split the table in two. It became apparent after T2 that my opponent intends to hold me on this flank and bombard me with KB pie plates, while his vast force (which outnumbered me 5 to 1) swing around like the jaws of some trap. Too bad said trap was ruined by the constant Gnoblar bickering and the river, which slowed things down. By then, my 3 units of Tomb Guard had carved 3 deadly wedges of bronze and gold deep into their ranks, the gnobbies fleeing and breaking before the might of Nehekhara. At the end of the game, it was a massacre in favor of the Kings, which lost only a unit of 40 bowmen.

It was mostly a fun game, as we were trying to see how many gnobbies would die before the game is over (rofl). This coming week, as I'm getting bored of thrashing (hehe) the armies of destruction, its time to take on the heirs of Sigmar, and see how strong their faith is.

+ Reply to Thread