Skeleton Archer formation advise please?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skeleton Archer formation advise please??

I am wanting to include 40 skeletal archers in my army, but I am unsure about how to for the unit(s). It would appear that a 10x4 unit or two 10x2 units would be optimal? Help appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i may suggest 2 or even 3 units that way if your big unit of 40 gets held up by anything you can still fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree. I have used the 40 man archer unit, and in horde formation you lose 10 shots, and dont gain enough attacks in combat to make a difference. Go for 2 units of 20, in 10 x 2 setup, and reform when combat gets close. This allows 40 shots a turn before magic, and the reform to 5 x 4 is better for combat anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what is said above 2 times 20 is a better idea.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

2x20 is good. 2x30 is perfect. You only lose 2x5 shots, but in horde formation every model you have swings, and 30, unlike 20, can't be crumbled in a reasonable amount of time. And 2x30 with a prince in each unit and 20 TG plus a king (3x7) sandwiched between them is downright scary!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x1)

If you are going to reform before combat then you can use a block of 40 without losing any shots and it doubles the efficiency of your smiting spells. Also, if lead your archers with a survivor king they become the mother of all tar pits.

Efficiency it relative. If your 20 strong block crumbles away to nothing before your supporting attacks and resummoning can arrive... *shrugs* Doesn't seem too efficient to me

Just my 2cp.
    Because Sun Tzu would play Tomb Kings...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

i like a 5 by 4 formation volly fire is great i lose 4 shots but i find the the space takkens if much better than a long line of guys and no need to wory about reforming before combat hits. i find that no matter what i do my skilles die to fast anyway, and even if i do tarpit a unit as soon as i send in the hammer all the work they do is undone by the dying skellies.
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vallah View Post
    If you are going to reform before combat then you can use a block of 40 without losing any shots and it doubles the efficiency of your smiting spells. Also, if lead your archers with a survivor king they become the mother of all tar pits.

Efficiency it relative. If your 20 strong block crumbles away to nothing before your supporting attacks and resummoning can arrive... *shrugs* Doesn't seem too efficient to me

Just my 2cp.
    I find that survivor kings are untouchable in melee, but they crumble out on the second round of combat when the unit takes 15 casualties a round and inflicts but 2 in return. I like to put them in a unit for protection against enemy shooting, but then have them leave to either charge solo (if the enemy unit in question has 3 or less static CR) or step aside before melee combat to avoid being a crumble victim. I suppose a survivor king in scorpion armor in a block of 40 archers has merit, though...cuts crumble in half, so the unit lasts around 3x as long (and if it lasts 6 phases, that's actually being a tarpit. Losing 12 models a phase to crumble isn't very tarpitty.)
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread