Necropolis Nights vs. Chariots - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necropolis Nights vs. Chariots

So i've been looking over the new book trying to decide between buying some necropolis nights or buying a Warsphinx, and it occurred to me that Necropolis Knight are basically just vastly superior chariots at a slightly higher cost, I find myself rather at a loss as to why anyone would use Chariots over Necropolis Knights. True they take up special points but at most points levels the core requirements and the hero costs mean few players will ever take the maximum amount of special points, so that limit is rather moot. Any thoughts on this?

Also, massively at a loss regarding whether I purchase a Warsphinx or some Necropolis Knights, I love them both tactically and would get both if I could afford them so freely taking opinions on this one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

i would take chariots becasue a tomb prince can join them and punch to the unit, necropolis knights are nice and all but i feel unless they have the entombed beneath the sands rule thay are going to get shot to hell and back. and buy the warsphinx, the model is amazing to buld and it also looks stunning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been staring at the warsphinx since I got it. I am afraid to open it due to painting. I think I am going to make it bone like the rest of my army but I am terrifed of messing it up. I have a batallion to finish first but I want to paint it so bad.

The chariots always get shot and the knights look cool but they will draw a lot of fire. Instead of 3 knights I am going to run a warsphinx and the new giant.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

i am going to try and run a warsphinx and a necro sphinx as well as some of the stalkers, but yeah i want to use the hirotitan and a big block of lich priest with a casket of souls as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dectilion View Post
    So i've been looking over the new book trying to decide between buying some necropolis nights or buying a Warsphinx, and it occurred to me that Necropolis Knight are basically just vastly superior chariots at a slightly higher cost, I find myself rather at a loss as to why anyone would use Chariots over Necropolis Knights. True they take up special points but at most points levels the core requirements and the hero costs mean few players will ever take the maximum amount of special points, so that limit is rather moot. Any thoughts on this?
    There not really though are they? They both serve different roles chariots are good for charging in causing a lot of damage and trying to take very little in return but are pretty useless at the grind (and when they hit they hit HARD). I have a unit of 4 chariots with a musician (for da reforms) and they are awsome for 230 points. Necropolis Knights are far better at grinding because of the higher stat line the good armour save and the not needing to charge to be effectiveness. Tbh i think they are both awsome! I love them both Necropolis Knights have really grown on me since seeing the book i think there awsome now. But chariots are just as cool im just used to them cos i used them all the time in the last book =P

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

True they take up special points but at most points levels the core requirements and the hero costs mean few players will ever take the maximum amount of special points
    There's your answer. You are filling, instead of being limited by, the core points minimum if you take chariots. Anyway, you're right that 50% specials is going to be almost impossible, but I'm not sure that 50% characters is the way to go...I'm actually thinking 35-40% characters, with 25% lords and 10-15% heroes. You could get by without any rares at all if you're not going too magic-heavy, so 35-40% specials is not unreasonable...

I'm going 25% core (consisting of nothing but 4-pointers with FC and bowmen without), 25% lords (two L4 mages), 18% heroes (princes and necrotects), 12% specials (TG), and 20% rares (casket, heirotitan, necrosphinx)....and I'm thinking about ditching the necrotects for ~10 more TG. The thing is, their presence sucks enemy attacks away from the prince in the first round of melee, so they're like an insurance policy on that WS5 buff.
    Last edited by Marnepup; May 16th, 2011 at 21:48.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously chariots and Knights, have different roles, my point was that Knights can do everything a chariots can do, better.

Also, do chariots do d3 impact hits still or is it d6? I've looked through the book and I can't see d3 anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chariots do d6 impact hits and get +1 to Strength per rank.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

...which sounds fantastic, but the point of diminishing returns creeps up on you with surprising speed.

Blocks of chariots large enough to get a +2 or more strength bonus to their impact hits just aren't practical... I think the best way to do business is to take 7-8 of them in two ranks, and then ensure that you''ve got at least three in the second rank on the turn that you charge. That gives you the best chance of being able to absorb some enemy shooting and still get 3D6 S5 impact hits (and disrupt)...or 4D6, if the target is wide enough, which it won't often be, if you're in his flank.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just throwing this out here... unless you bring the special Banner, i would never take Entombed Units unless they are dirty cheap, like a Scorpion or something. Just too risky to lose a unit specially a punchy unit like the knights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast