advice - knights or stalkers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice - knights or stalkers?

Hi all, my two boxes of knights/stalkers arrived over the weekend. I've made one box up already as necro knights (command models). I was planning to make the other box up as knights too, but I'm not sure if they're worth it. A unit of 6 knights seems attractive, but as a mate pointed out, it would only take 1 to die to lose their disruption ability, and that's an awful lot of second-rank attacks I'm not getting given they're monstrous cavalry and second rank only gives the riders' attacks.

So question is, do I make the second box up as knights too, and go either a big unit of 2x3 knights or 2 small units, or do I make them as stalkers? I think knights are a lot better than stalkers, though since they nerfed 'entombed beneath the sands' so you now come up after charges stalkers are kind of attractive given they can shoot when they emerge. But I really don't like the fact they can also blow themselves up.

I figure a unit of 6 knights is a rock-hard 'anvil' unit with good toughness, wounds and armour save.

Any advice? Anyone who has played a few games care to offer an opinion based on experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my personal experience, I would suggest the Knights. They are very good at surviving (for our army), and will probably help you in the long run against most armies. The stalkers are good for war machine hunting, flanking and supporting, but we have at least 2 other units that can do this for cheaper (Scorpion and Carrion).
    In response to the 1 dies and you lose disruption, this is true of any flank charger, but disruption does not get rid of steadfast, whereas with one dead you are still getting 10 Killing blow attacks, and 6 poison attacks, plus 3 stomps... not much is going to stand up to that for long. And because they do not have impact hits, combined with a 3+ save, they can take a charge, and survive without crumbling too much.
    Two units of 3 would probably be better, but it depends on the rest of your army. If you have no more constructs take the Necotect SC and run them in a unit of six, or if you have a large number of skellingtons, use them in units of 3 to strike at the flanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knights instead of one unit of 6 have two units of 3 (you don't need to worry about losing one now specially as being disrupted doesn't negate steadfast). You get more attacks when fighting as well (becaue they will all be in base contact when fighting instead of having to support). Also means they can be healed easier (because they can heal one wound per phase on each unit).

Stalkers are garbage =P There cool but garbage =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am actually a bit miffed now that I even bothered to make the first box up as a command group as I will follow your advice and run them in 2 units of 3 instead. I guess it doesn't matter too much!

Cheers again for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I am actually a bit miffed now that I even bothered to make the first box up as a command group as I will follow your advice and run them in 2 units of 3 instead. I guess it doesn't matter too much!

Cheers again for the advice.
    Im liking one unit of 4 with command atm so its doesn't matter that you made one box with command im sure they will get used eventually

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Undivided View Post
    Stalkers are garbage =P There cool but garbage =P
    Please explain?
    I can understand that they pale against Knights but they're not shabby and Gaze can play havoc with Sauras, Beastmen of almost all kinds and is useful for removing spontaneously raised units of zombies. They also cost a lot less than Knights when you think about the additional upgrades a Command and Entombment will cost.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karrain View Post
    Please explain?
    I can understand that they pale against Knights but they're not shabby and Gaze can play havoc with Sauras, Beastmen of almost all kinds and is useful for removing spontaneously raised units of zombies. They also cost a lot less than Knights when you think about the additional upgrades a Command and Entombment will cost.
    There too situational to be used reliably also because of the lack of fast cav, musician and marching they can't move there more suited to skirting around the enemy and gazing at them but they are normally dealt with my something protection the backfield. If tomb kings were a faster army (without unreliable magic) they would have a use as you could pressure the enemy at the same time so they woudn't be able to deal with the stalkers but there not so they don't work very well.

Also never buy entombment on your kinghts its a waste of points for an ability with no advatages for them and you might die =/ Command ain't expensive and ive stopped running it on mine cos they don't need it there on;y 10 points more a model and they are worth every point!

+ Reply to Thread