DoE Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DoE Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DoE Question

I'm trying to figure out the exact extent of the damage this thing can pump out. It sounds sweet but the sweeping attack seems like it would do less damage then the Kings 4 base attacks. How many models on average can you get with the sweeping attack?

How many people use the DoE these days? I know they knocked off 20 points but still not sure if it's worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually they added 20 points.

And on average you are hitting 3 models of small base, and 2 of any other. Unless you are in a fight against a flank and front / rear charge and can get him on the corner, or you know you are facing monstrous infantry, it really is not worth it i feel. he is strength 7 with it, so most saves are ignored, and he has to be on foot, so he cannot get to control his combat like he would on a chariot.

Basic Mathhammer:

DoE:
    4 attacks vs anything up to ws 5 = 3 hits, S 7 vs anything up to T 5 = 3 wounds. -4 to save = 3 wounds (on most things) = 3 kills.
    1 unit in combat (2cm base) Swing attack = 3 hits, average 3 wounds, = 3 kills
    1 unit in combat (2.5cm base) Swing attack = 2 hits, average 2 wounds, = 2 kills
    2 units in combat (2cm base) Swing attack = 5 hits, average 4 wounds, = 4 kills
    2 units in combat (2.5cm base) Swing attack = 4 hits, average 4 wounds, = 4 kills

Great weapon: strikes last, but still +2 strength, though you cannot use a shield in combat like the DoE.
    4 attacks vs anything up to ws 5 = 3 hits, S 7 vs anything up to T 5 = 3 wounds. -4 to save = 3 wounds (on most things) = 3 kills.
    Lacks swing attack, BUT IS 74 POINTS CHEAPER!

Unless you feel you need the Heroic Killing Blow, just stick with a Great weapon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

It's a decent piece of kit in larger games where you've got a King hiding in a horde of skeletons, so that when the War Hydra comes to call you can see it off. However, if your desperate to strike at strength 7 and at normal initiative get an Ogre Blade for half the cost.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sectux View Post
    Unless you feel you need the Heroic Killing Blow, just stick with a Great weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrain View Post
    However, if your desperate to strike at strength 7 and at normal initiative get an Ogre Blade for half the cost.
    +1 to both...I3 means "nearly always strikes last" anyway, so the only people you go in front of are the ones with...great weapons. I'm comfortable going simultaneously...they generally don't have my toughness, modified strength, armor save, or number of wounds, so killing three of them before they get to swing would only really matter if I'm in their flank. It's the mundane great weapon for me. I would take the ogre blade over the DoE if I wanted to take a shield, though...that wouldn't come into play unless I'm running out of magic armors, though!

Anyway, I think the true path for TK is to take two HLPs and then spam princes into your regiments. In practice, the difference between WS5 and WS7 isn't that great in terms of your to-hit rolls. Ws3 will only hit a king's unit on 5s, but that's not really worth the combined price of: 70+ extra points (you can take more wargear, so the end result could be 120 extra points!) AND the loss of Lord points that could be used to field a high priest. And I think TK need two L4s from two different lores more than they need a WS7 unit. JMHO, YMMV!

/edit/

For HKB, look no further than the necrosphinx...he's slightly harder to kill than the king, and while he has only one HKB attack instead of four, it's at S10 instead of S7, and he, being a flier, is a lot easier to maneuver into position to deliver that blow than a king on foot.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread