Your Prefered Hammer/s - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Prefered Hammer/s

Hi all,

After sitting on the sidelines since our new book has come out I've decided to dust off my glorious Tomb Kings and thrust them back into the heat of battle once more. Though I have seen many debates about what our core skellies should be (and seeing the same result over and over and over and over...... well you get the point) I was wondering what how everyone else was filling the gap for the rest of their armies, ie the hammer to the skellie anvil.

Me personally I was looking towards either unit/s of Ushabti or Khemrian Warsphinx, as many Tomb Kings players in my local area have done. But having seen first hand some poor strategy with these guys has lead me to believe that they arn't our only options. I have always had a soft spot for the Necrolith Colossus and the Necro Knights are something completley different from what we have been used to still makes me believe that they could have their place in our army lists.

So I'd imaghine that there would be a few people out there would like to hear some peoples experiences and what they have found works and what doesnt......

Warhammer Armies: High Elves, Tomb Kings, Daemons of Chaos
    Warhammer 40k Armies: Chaos Daemons
    Bloodbowl Teams: Mean Machine (Dwarves)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have issues choosing these as well. It seems like the other "must have" units for us is the casket as well as the heirotitan due to their ability to allow our HLP's and LP's to do a lot better in the magic phase. The down side is not leaving a lot of points for hammer units usually.

So I would Also like to take your question one step further and ask what units people use to go war machine/ gunline hunting?

As for which Hammer Units I think Chariots can be a very useful choice as well as your other options as they have the mobility as well as can cause some serious damage with those impact hits in the flanks of a unit. I have not tried the Knights or stalkers yet so I can't say much about them Both Sphinx's have their roles and are damn good at both. So you can't really lose on taking one, you just have to know what he's for and use them accordingly.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmm...I had been planning to use my 20 tomb guard as my hammer as I did in 7th, and I'll still use them in larger games...but I'm in the process of painting up some ushabti to use as a hammer unit. Against most enemies, S6 is vastly superior to KB, so we'll see if ten S6 attacks does better than disrupting plus eleven S4KB attacks...I suspect that it will. Not to mention that 160 points worth of TG won't live as long as the three shabs, and the shabs add some character to the list.

Chariots would work well enough as a hammer. A warsphinx....well, since it throws off 30ish attacks...that's more of a deathstar than a hammer...it can take an enemy regiment frontally and obliterate it! The necrolith colossus, as you mentioned, is hurt by competing for scarce rares points....but is otherwise serviceable as a hammer. Necroknights are a great hammer if you can get past the idiocy of their concept and the hideousness of the models. I can't.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Our most basic hammer is the Charriot, they will pulverise most units when you ram them into a flank (and pulverise some units when you ram them into their front) as well as being able to still perform if the combat is drawn out to a second round. Great Weapon Ushabti, as Marnepup said, also work really well (I had them take out 9 Knights Errant in one turn) but generally need to be paired with specific units.
    I don't really like using Necroknights as I'm allready trying to fit units of charriots into my battleline, another unit of charriot-based giant snakes fragments the army too much.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

+ Reply to Thread