Banner of The Hidden Dead - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banner of The Hidden Dead

Was just reading the errata for our army and the Banner of the Hidden Dead has been updated from 150 points to 175. Not sure how big of a deal that can be due to the fact Entombed Beneath The Sands is pretty much crap. I was thinking of sticking a unit of 3 Ushabti under and pop them up hopefully in a nice flanking position since the unit pops up 12" away from the bearer. Or maybe even a unit of skeletons (35 with spears or maybe 40 sword and boards) but I think a hammer unit would work better.

What are your thoughts?

And thanks Marnepup, you were right that this should have had it's own thread so here we go

And I don't think it would be that bad of an idea if someone went the TK route and was getting a Herald as a meat shield anyways. Give him the banner, Use it on that unit of 3 Ushabti you had kicking around anyways and you have a possible deadly flank set up in the works. But then again, I haven't played enough with the new army to give an experienced answer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

The bump from 150 to 175 really only matters for really cheap models...if it bumped to 200, allowing a fourth shab, that would be a decent bump...but as it is...six more skittles or 2-3 more TG makes no difference at all!

I wouldn't even consider it in a game smaller than 3k points...it's just way too expensive...actually, 3k points kinda ties in to your other suggestion, which is to make the cost of the herald more worthwhile by putting him into a unit with a king. I wouldn't take a king until I already had the grand heirophant and another L4 HLP first...so, again, big games.

Also, a unit led by a king generally won't need a gimmick like a unit popping out of the sand in a supporting charge....they'll be hitting on 3s or even 2s, not to mention having the king's attacks to help them out....and the king would be able to take the mask, making the hidden dead even less needed.

Don't forget that unlike ICFB, EBTS doesn't allow you to charge on arrival...severely blunting the surprise effect.

Finally, killing the herald before the banner pops kills the unit!!!!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Umm...

I think commenting that you're running it alongside a Tomb King is enough of an indicator.

It's not a bad magic item, but certainly not as efficient as other things could be...
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the banner only allow you to hide core units? The idea to hide a unit like the ushabti is awesome but I think I have already been down this road when the faq came out.

Now the idea I have for this is to bury a unit of skittles and use them similar to a VC road block when they raise units from nowhere. It would be handy to slow up a potential flank charge from your enemy so you can tear through their lines easier. personally I wouldnt bury a unit of chariots but that is just me.
    Warhammer Armies: High Elves, Tomb Kings, Daemons of Chaos
    Warhammer 40k Armies: Chaos Daemons
    Bloodbowl Teams: Mean Machine (Dwarves)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chromy35 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the banner only allow you to hide core units? The idea to hide a unit like the ushabti is awesome but I think I have already been down this road when the faq came out.
    Ooh...glad you prompted me to reread the rule...Shabs are out...but it's not limited to core...it's any infantry, cav, or chariot unit, so no monstrous cav, but TG are allowed, for example.

Karrain,

Jarlil isn't using the banner, he's brainstorming ways to make it work. Before I just realized that they're excluded, I was thinking maybe 3 shabs with an ancient (bonus swing for ten points, yes, please!) on board would be the only decent use for it. That being out, I do like chromy's idea of using it to spring up a flank guard out of nowhere after the enemy's wasted time maneuvering to set up a flank charge on you. I just don't know what would be better, 35 skittles with full command, 40 skittles with just a musician, 35 spears, or 29 bowmen. The upside of the bowmen would be that they could actually take offensive action against the unit looking to get off that flank charge (not that 10 S3 hits is all that offensive).

A separate thought that I had was popping a chariot prince (not more than 20 points of gear) into the banner for warmachine hunting. Bring him up behind or on the flank of the enemy's line, and use his 7" move to ensure that he gets into the backfield unmolested. The enemy gets one turn to stop him before he starts hacking apart artillerists...

In any case, as I said before, I won't even think about this seriusly below 3k points...and then probably not act on it until 4k.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread