vs Skaven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vs Skaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vs Skaven

I'm one of a few players in Beijing. Until now we've not had a skaven player in our ranks.

Until now....

So, question, how do you stop/counter a seer from casting the 13th spell with 6 power dice plus a few warpstone tokens (meaning you can't equal his dice role). Obviously there is a dispel scroll once (assuming he doesn't get two 6s off 9 dice) but then what?

I lost my heirophant, who was in a bunker of 20 archers, this way. In the first turn I used my scroll. 2nd turn I lost 13 skeles. I brought back 6 with augment spells (depleting my power pool) and basically had similar experiences in the 3rd and 4th turns. By the 4th turn my heirophant was gone.

What to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

According to the FAQ the Warpstone tokens does not allow you to cast more then 6 dice

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmm...you could go after the seer who has the dreaded 13th with prince apophas...? He's a decent assassin. Or pound him with a pair of screaming skull catapults? In the end, though...for the enemy's premier caster to spend half the game killing 120 points worth of skellies plus your heiro...given what else he could have accomplished with that spell in that timeframe...it's really a victory for you! Even funnier would be if you let him pound those archers with the spell, then jumped the heiro to a different unit! I think he was laboring under the outdated idea that your army will speedily crumble out a la necron phase-out if he kills the heiro (which was the case in our old army book!), explaining the his excessive obsession with killing that one model. Realistically, though, most of your army should have high leadership, and therefore lose nothing to the crumble test most turns, and never more than 3 models. Even losing the heiro on turn one shouldn't cost any given unit more than an average of four wounds over the course of the game. At least, that's the way my army works...everything is led by at least a prince or is within the general's leadership bubble...so pretty much the whole army has a TP's LD...which makes crumble...non-problematic.

Anyway, was the heiro's bodyguard positioned where it had something important to shoot at? I originally thought the same way, that my caster bunker should have bows so they're not just sitting around twiddling their thumbs...then I realized that in order to have LOS to an enemy target, they had to put themselves out there where the enemy could target them and had an easier time charging them. I'm switching to spearmen for my lich bunker. With no bows to shoot, I have no reason not to hide them behind my lines (um, our best spells are buffs, so no need to have LOS to the enemy, right?), and if the enemy does get to them, they have 6+ regen, which is just as good as a parry save, so I'm paying a point per model for an extra rank of attacks without also surrendering that 6++ save (honestly, spears should be a free weapon swop for skellies. Who in his right mind would pay a 25% premium AND give up a parry save for an extra rank of S3 attacks with pitiful (pending MWBD buff) WS and I???) Given that the extra rank of attacks could keep the heiro alive (not by winning combat, but by reducing crumble and therefore buying time for a friendly countercharge), and that the regen save replaces the lost parry save, I think the extra point per model for spears is justified in a heiro bodyguard.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread