Thoughts on New VC and how to face them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on New VC and how to face them?

With the new VC on pre-order status and a rough idea of how some of the new units work how do you feel you will deal with them? The one unit in particular I am thinking of is the Hexwraiths. These guys look and sound extremely dangerous. My thoughts are to allow the Casket or an SSC deal with them but now sure how effective that would be. Any thoughts or better suggestions?

I was also reading the Black Knights info and it seems that they will be able to be raised using the new VC lore. Thoughts on that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~ why not? Our chariots and horsemen get the benefit of the lore attribute... And healing D3+1 wounds on a chariot squadron potentially more than once a turn is huge!

Let me guess, hexwraiths are ethereal? Other options would be lore of light, which I use anyway, a cheap magic blade on the prince leading a skellie block... The skullapult would work, but be wasteful, I'd rather peg a ranked regiment if I had other ways to deal with ethereals... Ruby ring?
    Last edited by Marnepup; January 12th, 2012 at 03:16.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Bring some Horse Archers or Carrion to bait the Vargheists away - Ld7 and Frenzy means that they're like to follow, and thank goodness, because WS4/S5/I4 means it'll really hurt if they get into a fight with you. Keep something out there to pop the Hexwraiths, too. In terms of the grind-it-out between blocks, Tomb Kings and Princes will give Grave Guard and TK Skittles the edge. Try to keep them away from Vampires in combat, though, because they've gotten beefier than before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else think the coven throne looks like a high heel shoe?
    That's pretty much all I have to say on the new vamps.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I don't see vhargeists being a threat to infantry blocks, they just don't have enough attacks. For that matter even a TP's MWBD buff will get skellies' WS above that of the monster. Add in four potential points of static CR, and no problem. Might be a good counter to our chariots, though!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Maybe they're not a threat if they slam into you from the front, but given that they have the Vampiric special rule along with Flight means they likely won't - it's very easy for them to out-maneuver you when they can move 20" and ignore units and terrain while they fly. And in the flank, a unit of 6 can spit out 22 WS4 S5 attacks at I4. That's pretty rough.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

And what's that unit of 6 cost? Too much for a unit that kills 8 4-point skellies on the charge, if they do get that flank charge in the first place. Seriously, I got flank charged by treekin the other day... While I was already engaged with wardancers. It took five phases to grind through my skellies! With twice their points value worth of enemy.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Well, Wardancers kind of suck since they only hit at S3, but that's neither here nor there. If you have points in places other than your Skeletons, the Vargheists will be after them.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x7)

Hexwraiths will pop easily to the basic Lore of Light spell which will also net additional hits as well due it being the anti-evil-things lore. They cost the same as a Dragon Prince, have only 1 wound and no save. If VC players spam them, then it'll simply mean the meta will likely shift to include a Lv1/2 caster with access to either the lores of fire/light/metal which all have signature magic missile spells.
    Nope, the big ethereal threat now is the much cheaper spirit host bases which can be taken as units of just 1 base! Use 2 of 'em and VC's can throw them into dangerous units an hold them up for at least a couple rounds if you forgot your heroes and/or have a basic lack of magical attacks.

If you understand this game, varghiests won't be a real problem. Their frenzy rule can easily kill their usefullness and we have much better options for flanking/hunting distant targets than these guys.
    Perhaps if you see varghiests being spamed it'll add an extra reason to pack a scorpion or two? Bring them up in front of the flying gribblies and angle them so any over-run will carry the unit away from the main battle?! Can also just sacrifice a minimum sized unit of skellie horsemen to do the same, or even a tomb swarm?!!

The biggest change to get around with the new VC's; killing the general isn't an auto-win button anymore
    As long as we pack another wizard with the Lore of Vampires, we can stop our army crumbling away to nothing within two turns!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rothgar13
    Well, Wardancers kind of suck since they only hit at S3, but that's neither here nor there. If you have points in places other than your Skeletons, the Vargheists will be after them.
    Yeah... S3 wardancers are horrible against S3 skellies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast