Thinking of starting TK, what are your thoughts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Thinking of starting TK, what are your thoughts?

Currently I play WoC in very large games. Mostly 5k+ and the other day a 9k battle. Its very fun to me especially because my WoC are great at close combat which is what I like a lot. However, I really do like magic as well.

I've read things about TK that say their magic is a mountain of pebbles etc. That most people can't shut down all spells typically. But I also read that their magic is used solely to make an inferior close combat army viable. Is TK magic mostly used like this? I dont mind a weak CC army, as I have a strong one already with WoC. But I want an army that is great at magic, decent at shooting, and decent in CC.

Is TK for me?

AshBorn

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I've found that the way I've settled on playing TK involves lots of shooting and magic, then using CC units to grind down whatever's left. TK's lore makes even the otherwise weedy Skeletons solid (though, to be honest with you, I prefer my Skeletons with bows and pumping arrows into the foe), but they do have more solid combat units in Tomb Guard and Necropolis Knights. So I think you can definitely make a TK army that can do what you want it to do, yeah.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

I see I see. I am thinking of picking up the army book. How is their offensive magic? Something to be feared?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Their native Lore is mostly a buffing Lore - the biggest offensive threat you'll see there is an augmented Smiting to hit multiple units of Archers and give them multiple shots so they can pump 100+ arrows into the air. Both of the main rulebook book Lores they have access to (Light and Death) can be a bit more blasty, especially the latter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya AshBorn !

new to TK myself ! recently got back into the hobby , Its def. worth getting the new book , in my opinion weather you will get them or not , since they are new and things have changed , u would like to get yourself familiar with opposite armies !

That being said ! from everything I've watched and read on the internet , when I field my force (as I am in the process of painting it) I will definitely go out there to have fun and see what they are capable off. Maybe I'm not too optimistic but I would call TK's generally an underdog army , call me crazy but I think you have to have a list pretty well created as well as maneuvering pretty much to the dot ,otherwise you will get beat pretty easily as there are many hurdles when it comes to our "reanimated" friends

Best of luck in your new attempt to command armies of the UN-living !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Right on! Next 30 bucks I will pick one up. Sounds like a fun army and a nice change of pace. Thank you guys for the information!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

As I see things, there are two viable ways to play TK, and bowline isn't one of them. The problem there is a huge nerf of the incantation system. Formerly, every character knew a set of incantations based on his class, that is, priests knew all of them and kings and princes knew a fixed subset of them, and everyone knew, among other things, the incantation of righteous smiting, and didn't use power dice to chant it, effectively allowing infinite scaling of your ability to spam it. At 2k points, I effectively had 20+ PD, somewhat offset by the fact that TK magic is support magic at it's core, and by not having any credible magic defense.

Now, though, 'smiting' can be cast only once, although the boosted version is a bubble. Effectively, it's gone from being 'what makes the army at all viable' to being 'a nice bonus, when it's not dispelled.' 6 point bowmen who hit on 5s at S3 just aren't worth 6 points unless they have a decent chance at two shots per turn.

So what are the two viable lists, then? I call them the horde list and the construct list. The horde list features multiple units of core skellie hordes 40-60 strong, each led by a prince for WS5. That is the list I run. Skellies 'without number' a la the 'organic carpet' gaunt horde is what attracted me to TK in the first place. The construct list is very model-poor. It features warsphinxes, ushabti, and snake-surfers as it's main elements, and uses chariots and one smaller core infantry or cavalry unit (as a bodyguard for the hiero) to satisfy core requirements. The horde list generally takes lore of light on the second caster, and the construct list lore of death.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

I actually disagree strenuously with this opinion. I've found that a lot of TK players that played the army before the new book have certain biases against some aspects of the army (most notably spells and Tomb Scorpions) because it doesn't seem to be "as good as it used to be", failing to recognize that the army dynamic has changed to the point that it's an apples-and-oranges comparison. Here are the facts - you can cast Smiting in a bubble; Archers are dirt cheap (and no, 6 points is not all that much to pay for a bow shot that ignores ANY modifiers, even if it does hit on 5's - a quick look at other armies will tell you that quickly enough); Skellie Warrors with no support die too quickly, and that support doesn't come out of Core.

Hence, a "bow-line" can employ several units of Archers and cast a bubbled Smiting and really make the arrows rain down upon my opponent, forcing him to come within range of my chariots, sphinxes, and other tough units. Then you engage units you can finish off in combat and claim their points. Also bear in mind that this tactic fills out minimum Core efficiently. It's something that has been tried and tested by other folks on other forums, and I have the batreps to prove it works.
    Last edited by rothgar13; February 14th, 2012 at 05:10.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Only two viable lists in your opinion Marnepup? Really? Darn now thats a real change of pace from WoC. Hmm.. By viable do you mean, if you don't do those two youll just get slaughtered or those two are the best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I'm a relative newbie to this army (I've only played 2 games with the Tomb Kings, most of my experience is in 40k), but played a game tonight. I was playing dwarves and got first turn. I tossed out a Skullstorm which he wasn't able to dispell, which in turn destroyed 40% of his army on turn 1, before he even got a chance to move (I rolled a 10 on the artillery die which moved the storm through 2 warrior units and a slayer unit, killing 20 dwarf warriors and 12 slayers). Turn 2 my necrosphinx flew around behind and charged 1 of his bolt throwers, and by turn 4 he had lost almost his entire army. I boarded him on turn 6 and you know what my casualty count was? 6 skellies! 3 spearmen, 2 sword n' boards, and a spearmen champ. That's it, I lost a total of 38 points in a 1500 point game.

Now granted, this isn't a normal occurance and were both relative newbies to WHF, but to say there are only 2 viable army compositions is a little silly. In a power-gaming, tournament-style setting you might be right, but I think for the casual, every-day, friendly game a balanced Tomb King list can be fun and competitive.

On a side note, have you guys had similar occurances with the Skullstorm spell? It seems incredibly powerful if it gets off. Once I got it off on turn 1, he really couldn't deal with it since he didn't take runesmiths and didn't have a dispel scroll. He was really behind the 8-ball because even if he used a majority of his dispel dice to get rid of it, I had a large pool of power dice to just throw it back out again. But yeah, 20 dwarf warriors and 12 slayers before he even moved a model...devastating!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast