First Tomb Kings Lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Here are my first lists for TK, the 2000 first:

Tomb King, Chariot

Liche Priest, Hierophant, cloak of the dunes

Liche Priest, Steed, Staff of Ravening

Tomb Prince, great weapon, light armour

3 chariots, full command

3 chariots, full command

8 heavy horsemen, full command

16 skeletons, light armour, shield, full command

16 skeletons, spear, light armour, shield, full command

16 skeletons, bow, full command except champion

Tomb Scorpion

Bone Giant

2001 points, 72 models, dispel pool 4

I think my Tomb King needs items, but I have no points spare. Maybe I should remove the bone giant for this small list?

Now the 3000 point list:

Tomb King, great weapon, shield, chariot, armour of the ages, chariot of fire, crown of kings

Liche High Priest, Hierophant, cloak of the dunes, talisman of protection, Neferra's plaques of mighty incantation, dispel scroll

Liche Priest, Casket of Souls, Golden Ankrha

Liche Priest, Steed, Staff of Ravening

Tomb Prince, great weapon, light armour, shield, brooch of the great desert

3 chariots, full command

3 chariots, full command

8 heavy horsemen, full command

16 skeletons, light armour, shield, full command

16 skeletons, spear, light armour, shield, full command

16 skeletons, bow, light armour, full command

3 Ushabti

3 Carrion

Tomb Scorpion

Bone Giant

Screaming skull catapult, skulls of the foe

2993 points, 80 models, 6 dispel dice

An extra 1000 points and only 8 more models? Is this list really bad? I am used to having a tough character (Vampire) in every foot unit, can the skeletons really hold in smaller units on their own without support or expanding their numbers? I know VC ones can't... I'm also a bit unsure about the bowmen, I am used to seeing 10 models with no upgrades and if the are charged too bad for High Elves. A WD suggested this formation, is it worth it?

Also, is it possible or legal to have a unit of 3 chariots with a Tomb King in them? I can't figure it out for AB since the minimum unit size is 3...

Any suggestions or improvements are welcome, I've never played as or against TK before.

The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe its my personal taste, but I would concentrate more on having large units when you are using tomb kings. Their troops are admittedly fragile, but they are difficult to shift once in combat as they are easily resurrected. having only 72/80 models in an army is a bit risky with TK, as they will tend to crumble if they are outnumbered. using TK magic, even large and usually unwieldly units can be moved with a great degree of freedom. I would say that you would do well to have at least one skellie w/ hand weapon + shield unit which contains at least 25 - 30 models in it. that way you have at least one unit that is pretty much guaranteed to outnumber, which is important because your troops cause fear. as for having powerful tooled up characters in a unit, it is usually sufficient to place a tomb prince with the unit, armed as you have with a great weapon. I would split your bowmen into two units and drop the command upgrades - remember that TK shooting is unaffected by range and movement, so your archers lose none of their efficiency by moving to stay out of charge range and leading enemy units into traps (which you will be able to orchestrate using your extra movement and fighting in the magic phase). I think I would strip your characters of some of their over abundant toys and use the points to beef up your units, which IMO are the real strength of the TK army.
    Maireann croÃ* éadrom i bhfad - A light heart lives longest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

I'd recommend bumping up your warriors to units of 25 minimum, as they can't really fight to save themselves, you'll have to rely on the skills of your Tomb King to win CR and your ability to outnumber / auto-break to win the day for you.

Also, with regards to the magic items dilemma, consider cutting the bone giant for a SSC with Skulls of the Foe. It's half the cost of the giant (maybe add 2?) and the other half can give you some points to go shopping for your characters with!

I'm also a big fan of splitting archers into MSU's, I think they're much more effective this way and you opponent has to concentrate on more separate units as well this way. Also drop their armour, a 6+ save isn't really worth it for the archers IMO.
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put Tomb King on foot in unit of Tomb Guard, and put your tomb prince on chariot... Skellies will hold, but make sure liche's are near by to ressurect them...
    ...And I shall be there, waiting, at the gates of hell, you shall not escape my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Oh great, first I had to watch the armies I posted because of Jamie, now you! :lol:

Don't tell me skeletons will hold, I know they die very easily from playing VC, the unit sizes need to be boosted.

Also I have read Tomb Guard aren't very good at all, and they are metal blisters so I will leave them out.

I'd recommend bumping up your warriors to units of 25 minimum, as they can't really fight to save themselves, you'll have to rely on the skills of your Tomb King to win CR and your ability to outnumber / auto-break to win the day for you.
    Yeah, I will probably go for 20 strong units. The problem here is in 3k there is only 2 combat fighters, and one is in a chariot, unlike with my VC where there were enough thralls and counts to give every unit a strong character.

I'm also a big fan of splitting archers into MSU's, I think they're much more effective this way and you opponent has to concentrate on more separate units as well this way. Also drop their armour, a 6+ save isn't really worth it for the archers IMO.
    Thats what I usually do, but I read an old WD where they used units of 16 ranked up. I will switch to 10 strong without upgrades like I normally take with other armies.

I need to change these lists, they aren't any good. They were written in a hurry just including the models I had and a few extras I might want, seems the army is going to cost more money than I thought to get it working properly at 3000 points.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

That's the way GW seem to be going with the armies these days, anything that is really good seems to be metal! Ushabti, Tomb Scorpions, SSC's.

The problem with unit sizes of 20 is that you lose 1 point in CR as soon as you take a wound from shooting / spells. 25-30 is a great buffer and keeps you at max CR. Ideally, have your LP use the Smiting incantation on a SSC every turn rather than summoning, or the urgency one to get units to wher you want them to be.

If you're changing the list all together, I'd recommend keeping your core skellies (bumped up to 30 per unit) and one unit of chariots. Get yourself 3-4 Ushabti and a SSC with skulls of the foe... also, if points are tight, drop the giant in favour of a 2nd SSC with SotF. Imagine a potential 4 catapult shots which cause panic at -1 LD per turn... I don't think many armies could survive that onslaught. :blink: And in 3,000 pts I'd consider getting a casket of souls for one of the LP's.

Also, TG aren't too bad IMO, you can bring them back and if you have a maxed out unit of 25 they'd do pretty well. I find that they are particularly nasty with the BotUL on them and an Icon Bearer with the Icon of Rakaph. Great for all comers!

Anyway, hope this helps a little more!
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

+ Reply to Thread