Librarium Online Forums banner

Mummies- bring them back!!

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Gerowshow 
#1 ·
Why were mummies done away with? surely when they split the old undead armies into tomb kings and vampire counts (which does make a lot of sense) the mummies were the most obvious troops to keep in the tomb kings armies, but instead they did away with them? they were great! i didnt like the last batch of models (holding weapons) much bt they had a slot of scope and would be great in TK armies

#3 ·
mayhaps for the same reason some maneaters are mail order only, the model would just be to ridiculus. for the same reason theres no frankenstiens monster mini, the scary image is lost to a hallowen theme. mummies just aren't themselves anymore.

#4 ·
yes but there has never been a frankensteins monster miniature, but the mummies have been around for a long time in WHFB and the models werent ridiculous they used to be pretty good!

Tomb guard are half mummified but not enough for my liking...i want more bandages!!

#5 ·
Sir Theobold the Lame said:
yes but there has never been a frankensteins monster miniature, but the mummies have been around for a long time in WHFB and the models werent ridiculous they used to be pretty good!

Tomb guard are half mummified but not enough for my liking...i want more bandages!!
is that some kind of crazy fetish theobold, if so i dont want to know..

#6 · (Edited)
that may be the root of it then. they wouldn't fit in with the rest of the army, they'd stand out like white beacons in the rest of the bright and colourful army. they'd also be lacking the odd assortment of glyphs, shiny things and whatnot.
and bonjordo. i don't know what to say. that sentence is more devoid of any intelligence then any other i've ever seen on librarium. lets try to keep this on topic.

#7 ·
I think the root of the mummies being wiped out as a unit is the GW designers actually going back and looking into Ancient Egypt and who mummies truly were. Most notable mummies were Egyptian royalty or nobles who could afford the elaborate mummification process, although even commoners eventually could afford mummification. It was believed that mummification was the only way to guarantee a place in the Afterlife.

Most mummies were plundered of their valuable belongings by grave robbers, perhaps that explains why the Tomb King skeletons have shreds of bandages on their arms still. The only figures that look vaguely 'mummy-like' are the princes and kings, who only have a few bound limbs at most.

Why? Well, would this not be the Afterlife for Tomb Kings? Why would mummified people 're-born' walk around in bandages that would hinder them? Wouldn't the first thing you do be to rip off all of your bandages as soon as you re-awoke in the Egyptian Afterlife?

On an aesthetic note, I don't think that mummies fit in with the look of the new Tomb Kings either, so that's perhaps another reason why they were axed.

Anyway, hope that my rantings have shed some light on this matter - and sorry for your loss! :)

#8 ·
Firstly, there still are mummies in Khemri, named ''tomb princes/kings''.

In their special rules stands ''embalmed'', can it be made more easy??

I think the root of the mummies being wiped out as a unit is the GW designers actually going back and looking into Ancient Egypt and who mummies truly were. Most notable mummies were Egyptian royalty or nobles who could afford the elaborate mummification process, although even commoners eventually could afford mummification. It was believed that mummification was the only way to guarantee a place in the Afterlife.
I don't really agree, because there was a long period in Egypt, where almost everyone let themselves be mummified.

I myself would like to see a bit more mummies, in the look of tomb princes/kings, those models are just great :D

Zephyro

#9 ·
nicely modelled mummys would have maybe been alright but as already said they wouldnt really fit in unless they maybe made them bigger sized models with theere own unit like on chaos warriro saizard bases. but even then they would realy fiot in

#10 ·
Zephyro said:
Firstly, there still are mummies in Khemri, named ''tomb princes/kings''. ...

...I don't really agree, because there was a long period in Egypt, where almost everyone let themselves be mummified.
Zephyro
yes, tomb kings and princes being mummified has been mentioned.
what do you mean "let"? the whole process was horribly expensive and could very likely bankrupt a low born family as they felt they had to mummifiy loved ones, else they wouldn't go to the afterlife. the whole point of existince.
creme egg, tis the whole point, they just wouldn't really fit in.

#11 ·
Don't forget that they are technically in their Afterlife (granted, not the paradise they envisioned), how long can you expect a Nehekaran to walk around in treated, tight fitting linen bandages? Not only that, why would they walk around bandaged all day when they have reached the Afterlife?

No, it totally makes sense that all Tomb Kings units are now bandage-less - the bandages have served their purpose and preserved them well enough to reach their Afterlife. I say good riddance to mummies. :p

#12 ·
what do you mean "let"? the whole process was horribly expensive and could very likely bankrupt a low born family as they felt they had to mummifiy loved ones, else they wouldn't go to the afterlife. the whole point of existince.
Yes, in the beginning it was expensive, but later on, even farmers and slaves could pay it!!
It offcourse wasn't as good as the pharao treatment, but they still were mummified.

Zephyro

#13 · (Edited)
bonjordo said:
is that some kind of crazy fetish theobold, if so i dont want to know..

haven't you ever seen Crash?? ha ha

i can see what everyone is saying, but i still liked the old mummy models and think they could easily design some better looking models to fit into the tomb king armies- maybe as some really old ancestors who have lost every shred of their personality and humanity and in fact are just bandages and malevolence...huh huh? seriously though i think the TK armies could do with another unit of good close combat troops
- and the old mummies were hard
maybe i liked them because they were the first models i ever painted succesfully (the old plastic ones from Heroquest) and i liked the way they burnt when attacked by a Dwarf flame cannon....

#15 ·
I understand Zephyro's seeming frustration that the mummies have not gone anywhere. They just became character choices. But thats what always really were weren't they? Mummies are the ancient nobility and thus I think is better that they are relegated to the characters. Then again knights in all the other armies are nobility... hmmmm. Well, I thought they always kinda looked ridiculous, like old halloween costumes like Iron Loki pointed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.