“Forget MSU, here comes MDU!?- Usable for DE? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x1)

“Forget MSU, here comes MDU!?

:p Hi Everybody :p

Some of you may/may not know me from the khemri forum (khemri.co.uk)- plasmapuff. Anyway I came up with this tactic a while ago so tell us what you think, enjoy!!

Time to Talk Tactics (TTT): “Forget MSU, here comes MDU!?

While we’re on this “tying up the loose ends? article, I thought I might share a tactic that I’ve been trialing in recent battles. Using my flair for imagination (as you can see from the names of my articles), I have decided to call this tactic MDU or Multiple Delaying Units. I first devised it to counter the hard hitting armies, namely Bretonnia and all cavalry Empire and Chaos armies and the like. After noticing the devastating effects of grail knights on a block skeleton warriors (they killed 22 [12+ 10 crumbling] on the charge once!!), not to mention the crazy unit of inner circle white wolf knights smashing through the my detachment of chariots, I finally figured enough was enough. I had to blunt these diabolically deranged madman smoking through my skeleton units. My response was MDU. There are three essential D’s (DDD) that this tactic tries to achieve. That is to delay the charge, divert the charge and finally allow the designation of a counter-attacking unit. With each MDU having a parent unit that it wishes to protect.

There are a few criteria that must be met when designating such units:
    1) They must be cheap and sacrificable
    2) They must be able to perform a dual purpose in addition to DDD (all in the name of efficiency)
    3) They should be as manoeuvrable as possible
    4) They must appear to be weak and incapable of standing up to a charge.

Thus in my army list the three MDU’s are- the unit of 5 heavy cavalry and the 10 man bowmen screen, with the unit of carrion being a “can be? unit. But firstly lets talk about each of the three D’s in slightly greater detail.

First of all delaying the charge. As most of you may know, I mainly play defensive Tomb King armies and the more time out of combat the better, as this allows my SSc’s to pound the enemy. Now delaying the charge and the designation of a counter attack unit go hand in hand. During deployment, these MDU units give no indication of being ‘attached/supporting’ a parent unit, as they are usually simply deployed a few inches away just like any other unit in your army. Now in accordance with criteria 2, these units must serve a dual purpose. So if we’re not trying to blunt the charge of an enemy ‘hammer’ unit, these units just act normally. Namely the heavy cavalry rushing down a flank, trying to support a combat, or by taking on opposing skirmishers etc, while the bowmen shoot at vulnerable targets etc…

However when you do want minimise the effects of that unit of rampaging grail knights, or that unit of berserk foam frothing khorne knights, that when MDU comes in. Basically the unit aligns itself in front of your main sponge block and allows itself to be charged by this psycho killer unit. If they don’t charge in, then all the better, more time for pounding from SSc’s. The crucial point that must not be forgotten here, is that by no means, and under no conditions must you yourself charge this insanely tooled up unit in YOUR turn. If they wanna fight, let them come to you. Of course they’re going to absolute own this delaying unit, but that’s the whole point. They will of course overrun into your main skeleton block (if they don’t, then its more SSc pounding). But now critically, the bout between the world heavy weight champions (grail knights) and the under aged school boy (Skellie blocks) won’t occur until the next turn. Delaying combat until YOUR’RE ready for it.

Now during your turn, this is where the designation comes into it. First we must admit that nothing we do is going to stop the grail knights killing 12 skellies on the charge. But what we can stop is the massive combat resolution modifiers that will kill the other 10. How? By lending support through units like Ushabti, Bone Giants and chariots, whose strength actually has a chance of killing these armoured monstrosities. In this way, the flank charge, the wounds caused by our ‘hammers’ and coupled with the ranks of our skeleton blocks may actually be enough to turn the weight of combat, if not at the very least minimise the crumbling of the skeleton block. This is the crux of the MDU tactic.

Of course it can get a bit more fancy, and this is where the final ‘D’ comes in, that of diverting. If you align the MDU unit on a tangent away from your main skellie block, then if that unit wishes to charge it must align itself with this unit. 2 things can now happen. It can completely crush the MDU unit (most likely) and then overrun into a terrain feature that your MDU unit was aligned towards. Otherwise, this killer unit might find its own flanks exposed ready for the counter attack by the main skellie block. This part of the ’D’ is probably a bit harder to pull off, but when it works, it just adds to the multi dimensional strength of the MDU tactic.

In my opinion the beauty of MDU is that you don’t actually have to use it. If your not facing up against a real hard hitting army, then your MDU units integrate right back into your legion. However when the need arises for some serious sacrificing work to be done, you’ll not find them wanting. Another admirable thing about MDU, is that these units can afford to take casualties, 1 heavy cavalry model works just as well as 5- they still have to charge it to get to the skellie block behind. That begs another question- why do they want to charge my skellie blocks in the first place? Well that’s because I often use a very narrow deployment, where basically a lot of things are deployed behind these main units. The refused flank strategy thus works hand in hand with MDU.

I’m still trialing this tactic, but so far its worked wonders against fast hard hitting armies like Bretonnia and all cavalry armies. In fact with a bit of luck I managed to massacre the last 4 cavalry armies I played against. Even against armies with AEIOB units, MDU could potentially work, if you funnel their attacks. At the end of the day, even if MDU doesn’t work in a particular battle- it can’t get any worse can it?

Advanced MDU

This section basicallly explains when to use the divert and when to use delay.

Generally when facing a lone hard hitting unit, you can usually attempt to divert them from your main battle line. Then units like chariorts, whom were trundling down a flank may suddenly do a 360, and with a bit of urgency, may get a rear charge on the diverted unit.

However, when facing two or more enemy units (as is the case with most competent generals who support their units), the divert wont really work, since one unit can just charge staright past the diverting unit (angled away on a tangent). Thus the next best option is the delay, giving you time to designate counter attacking units.

If you're short of a few points theoretically you can get a single unit of bowmen in 10*1 formaiton to act as an MDU for both parent units.

Here's how you basically put it all together. We have all the three D's in operation, with the two SSC's continually pounding away at the enemy. Most hard hitters are neutralised. A victory is close I sense....

In summary
    There are two main aims of MDU:

1) Delay combat with hard hitters until YOU'RE ready for it (and have units ready to counter it)

2) Minimise negative combat resolution caused by enemy hard hitters. Nothing will stop the Chosen Khorne Knights from butchering 8 skeletons for example. However the wounds caused by supporting units will close the difference (if not beat) of combat resoultion for your units. In other words: it stops your unit from crumbling.

I look forward to your comments Please keep them coming....

Last edited by dorn; April 27th, 2005 at 14:39.
    Come into our musty tombs @khemri.co.uk

(600+ members and growing).

+ Reply to Thread