Tomb Kings: Overpriced? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Tomb Kings: Overpriced?

I come to you with the question, are Tomb Kings over priced; points-wise? :book:

A standard Tomb King Warrior costs 4 times the price of Gnoblar, yet it has worse stats. Yes, yes, I know the game isn't all about stats. But, is the ability to cause fear really worth 6points?
    And, then, you still have to equip your Warriors 'properly', with armour and what-not, increasing the cost to higher than most armies' standard troop. If TK were to have an update, would you change the price of units? Not just Core choices, but others too.

Some may see this point biased but it's just my opinion. :ninja:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I don't know about Tomb Kings, but, my buddy plays Vampire Counts and he swears by fear causing models. IMO the only skill more useful then fear is Unbreakable. Good lord I like Slayers.
    Last edited by THE Hersh; October 1st, 2005 at 18:54. Reason: wrong term
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I think they are overpriced, especially with hafting to take 2 heros. That is a good quarter of your army right there in 1000, 2 decent Cores at least another quarter. Yea TK's cost to much, I mean the Vampire Counts are less than ours, for the same stats.
    The Power of the Novels Shall Kill You All!! Muhaha

Ultimate Super Villian Clan; Lurking, Sniper Villian
    Star Wars Clan; Sith Lord
    Imperial Tactics Review; Master of Sanctity
    3500:Marines
    2000: Hordes of Chaos
    1500:Biel-Tan Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Novelizer
    Yea I think they are overpriced, especially with having to take 2 heroes.
    Exactly! As you may have seen I tried to make a 500 point army list for my friend. It was very difficult, as the compulsory Heroes took up 200+ points on their own!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Some food for thought on why Skellies are expensive:
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/vampire...gners-notes/2/

It is VC, but the basic concept applies to TK, as well (Though you can raise elites back as well, they're still harder to raise than Skellies)

Hope that helped.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not just the fact that you cause fear, though that is extremely valuable on its own (you autobreak outnumbered units, they have to test to charge, etc). You are also immune to psychology. You can also be resurrected.
    I would say do not bother armouring/ upgrading any of the infantry. It is not your infantry that will generally win the game for you. They are there for the numbers, to hold your foe in place whilst the chariots and constructs (and sometimes cavalry) do the real hitting.
    If you choose archers, they will hit 1/3 of the time regardless. The enemy could be hiding behind a wall, in skirmish formation and you could have moved - you still hit on 5+.
    Big archer blocks can force a bow-deficient enemy to follow your lead, which is valuable.
    Big infantry blocks can do the same in a slightly different manner. If your opponent charges either, he is in for a long(-ish) fight whilst you pin him and hit him with something else.
    The TK are, I think, intentionally hard to use and their points value contributes to this. I would not change it at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never occured to me that TK are overpriced. A squad of 30 can take on anything with magic. If they win combat once youre running, and they can survive indefinitely. Against those immune to psychology, you stand a decent chance of winning because you stand back up. I killed Kroq-Gar with a unit of 20.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Yeah I don't think they are overpriced.. As others have said, the abilities that undead get (never running, all the stuff from fear causing, immune to psych etc.) seems well worth it to me. My opponents even seem to think that they are underpriced and very hard to beat.

Having to take two characters is indeed a pain for small battles, undead (both) are definitely an army where 'the bigger the better' is true as far as points go. Maybe for smaller battles they could make it so a liche can be the heirophant and the general? Kinda putting all the eggs in one basket though..

I thinkTK are great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

It seems all of you are correct. Perhaps it just seems they are when trying to make a low-point cost army list, as it's hard tp squeeze it in. :cry:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    Maybe for smaller battles they could make it so a liche can be the heirophant and the general? Kinda putting all the eggs in one basket though..
    No more so than playing non-Sylvanian VC in a small game. There, a Wizard is both General and Animater as well. (Then again, with VC it is always so. In fact, the division of General and Animater is an advantage (as long as points allow multiple characters))
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast