New player in the House and needs help! really bad. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player in the House and needs help! really bad.

I am a new player and I started my first army in August or around then. I knew exactly what I wanted and that was to play as tomb kings. Now I need expierenced help and I really do. Like on what to buy because I don't want to spend money on stuff I am never going to use so. Here is what I came up with as an army.this doesn't include weapons and armor yet that would take way to long. I'm limited to time here.

Tomb king
    2 units of 6 chariots with command
    2 units of 5 ushabti each
    30 skeletons with swords etc.
    30 skeletons with spears
    36 Skeletons with bows
    10 horsemen with bows
    10 horsemen with spears that are considered heavy calvary
    10 horsemen with swords etc
    1 unit of 25 tomb guard with command
    Casket of souls
    3 liche priest
    9 carrion
    Icon bearer
    2 screaming skull catapaults
    2 bone giants
    5 tomb swarm
    Tomb scorpion

Thats pretty much my army for a while and it's more than above 4000 points so can i get some help over here. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many points is the game going to be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I think you'll be wanting more than one scorpion. They are very useful.

IMO the icon bearer isn't very useful at all, and a priest or prince fills the spot better. Unless you want to take that banner to gmake a unit appear behind enemy lines, but its another expensive thing for what it does..

The light cavalry are useless. Don't bother with them.

Spearmen are usually useless. Undead can't fight anyway, you're better off with hand weapon and shield to improve your chances of surviving.

You may not need so many Ushabti... I personally prefer them in smaller units. Depends on how bigger battles you want, I'd be aiming for 6 though. 2 units of 3.

Giants are one of the things that some people say are good, and others say are really bad.. Its personal preferance, but I'd only get one unless you decide you really like them.

In fact, overall it is probably better off buying slowly and playing games as you go to see what styles suit you, and what you like.. You might decide you love the chariots and want a mostly chariot army for example.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I mean the best way to collect a new army is make a 2000 pt TK list on the armies list forum. Have ppl look at it, make some suggestions. Once you have a final list, go ahead and collect that list. Once you're there, you can then start to collect the other models on the list, so that you can customize for different point games.
    He shall wander the world forever, in the quest to find one who can match his skill when there is no one to match his skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys

I was glad you told me spearmen were useless and so are light calvary but what if I chose to use heavy calvary? Would that be any better. Oh and you made up my mind today I was at highschool in a boring class ( computer class) and I had nothing better to do but ponder about warhammer. SO I came up with using chariots for 40 points and they have 3 wounds and 5+ armor save it made sense to base my core units around chariots. Also thanks for telling me icon bearer isn't that good unless you need to do something spectacular. And the help on the Ushabti. But should I use The screaming skull catapaults? I like the bone giant better but still. and should I stick with 9 carrion? And the archers are ok right? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

The archers are good in units of 10. You probably don't want more. Though I know some people use them in large units, thats anotherdepends on your playing style. They are good though.

Screaming skull catapults are pretty good, great if you can guess ranges well. I use them successfully in 3k battles near the casket, so the liche can make them shoot twice a turn.

Heavy cavalry: Up to you. Some like them, some don't.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just asking

Are the carrion still good though? Ushabti have three wounds and 3 attacks so they ought to be good to right? How many of each do you think I should use in a 2000 or 3000 point army. Oh and what about the skeleton warriors should I still have 30 of them with their command or replace them with tomb guard since tomb guard are better off and have killing blow. Sorry for all the questions. But go ahead and tell me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Sorry for all the questions. But go ahead and tell me
    Hey the whole point of forums is questions! Go for it.

Carrion are fantastic. I never leave home without them. Two wounds and decent toughness makes them not such an easy target to kill, and with the aid of magic they can potentially charge a unit that is 40" away! That is the fastest thing in the whole game I believe. They're great warmachine hunters. A single unit of 4 or 5 is probably enough though.

I would use a single unit of 3 or 4 ushabti in either 2k or 3k. That is a personal preferance though. Depends on your playing style. Buy a few and try them, see how you like them.

Tomb Guard, I don't like. Yes they're better than skeletons, but they cost more points as well. And how much better are they? Compared to elite troops of other armies they aren't that great. Killing blow, you are usually facing rank and file, which means single wound things, so killing blow is barely worth it. Plus they compete for a special slot with Ushabti, carrion, and scorpions, which are all fantastic.

Unit size for skeleton warriors is another personal preferance thing. 20 is minimum if you want to be successful, but some people take units up to 40. Just buy a bunch of skeletons and experiment with them. You can't go wrong, you'll need lots regardless of unit size.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks man

I am just going to keep a 25 unit of tg. Since I already have 13 of them the command and the 10 other guard. And ur right what use is killing blow if all ur gonna fight is humans and other etc. that have 1 wound no good againist a dragon.Carrion I'm glad u told me how fast they move thanks. 40" inches though. weeww.And ushabti I might buy more of because of the 3 wounds thing. And I plan on using 30 skeleton warriors with swords and shields, then 30 with spears and shields and then around 35 archers. So anyway thank s and I still am not going to use heavy calvary or even light calvary because some dude told me horsemen aren't really worth the points. For 16 horsemen you could have around 30 skeletons so I was like I know which I am gonna use. so yeah

How many chariots units do you think I should use I was thinking around 2 or 3 units of 6 with command but is that to much. If there is something better please tell me I don't wanna screw my important core up.

Don't double post. - KU
    Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; November 20th, 2005 at 21:38.
    Im aiming for a fearsome infestation that will overrun the enemy and Knock him out psychologically. I think I'm almost there.

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

I use chariots in units of 4... 6 would either be very wide, or a second rank. And I think I read somewhere that they don't get rank bonus because of the fast cavalry stuff. (feel free to correct me on that one)

Don't take champions on your chariot units. 20 points for 1 extra skeleton attack?? No thanks! With the points of two champions you could buy a whole extra chariot, more wounds, ore impact hits, and just as many skellie attacks as the two champs would give.

I still don't think spears are worth it on skeletons.. They'll die easier and won't kill very much anyway.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast