Special Units which is better to choose in combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Units which is better to choose in combat

I am just a new player posted before in related tomb king forum areas but no one really covers which of the many special units is most liked. Or which is most effective againist general opponents. Ushabti, tomb scorpions, carrion, tomb guard and depending on the situation and general chariots. Ushabti the miny giants, the fast moving carrion, the sly tomb scorpions which come from within the ground, tomb guard the skeletons with armor, or once again the chariots. I would like to in my army at least swap the carrion and just use the scorpion to take the place of the carrion. Carrion are mostly used to attack warmachines but scorpion can do the same just from underground and have killing blow. Ushabti I would use a lot of because they are extremely asome and have 3 wounds. TOmb guard with the killing blow for executing charges. What do you all think about this? what is your favorite way of using the special units of the tomb kings? They are the backbone of this kind of army. Go ahead tell.

Im aiming for a fearsome infestation that will overrun the enemy and Knock him out psychologically. I think I'm almost there.

-me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

They are indeed the best part of the TK army, and choosing which ones to use is very difficult.. I always take carrion for a start, they've never let me down in their hunting duty and managed to kill several hundred points worth of empire in my last battle. (lone mage, cannon with some engineer thing, then rear charge on troops)

Beyond that, it depends on how many points I have to throw around and who I'm facing. Scorpions and ushabti I usually take, chariots are core, but not Tomb Guard.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet

I know why you don't take tomb guard (tg) because of that one post on my army list I think. How there not worth the 4 extra points and fight for a special slot in the tomb kings army. That the killing blow isn't really effective because you'll be fighting a lot of one wound warriors in the first place. Well I agree. Why don't people just use more skeletons with hw and shields and give them light armor. They last longer I learned that from someone in the "new to tomb kings forum" or something that. I was trying to boost up on all the tatics of tomb kings. The people at my local hobby shop (the adventurers guilds which is a website too) told me that tomb guard are well worth the 4 extra points. They showed me in a demonstration and they also said a character will never go near a unit with killing blow. I didn't understand that, what if I was facing DEs and I had to fight Malekith the witch king on the dragon. Killing blow won't work aganist a dragon. I dunno you can proably clear that up for me but anyways What if I swaped my carrion unit for a tomb scorpion in a battle would it be worth it since the scorpion can take cover underground and come right behind a warmachine just like carrion except the scorpion has poisned attack and killing blow. I think it would work out and it would cost less $$$. Ushabti I will use in units of 6 maybe 2 units of them at most. And if I do find a good explanation to use tomb guard I will have a slot open depending on how much points I play. Or I will kick the tomb guard out and maybe put in more of my favorite Ushabti or carrion.
    Im aiming for a fearsome infestation that will overrun the enemy and Knock him out psychologically. I think I'm almost there.

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

due

I am now not using carrion from this day forth. Tomb scorpions will replacethem. I mean the only reason people use carrion are to use them to attack warmachines. TOmb scorpions do a better job at that. Especially since tomb scorpion has the ability and tatic of going underground and then pop up and attack the warmachine. Carrion they can get hit depending on whos turn it is and they will die off and they won't be as effective. Scorpion has the killing blow, poisined attacks, magic restiatance and something else that is really good but i forget. Anyway I will never use carrion unless I am totally desperate. Ushabti are another favorite so I will keep a strong unit of them. Tomb guard still pondering about. So thats what I got.

-me

I AM CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER bonjordo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I dont like tomb guard, too expensive in my mind. I dont take really any special choices, but i like Ushabti. they rock!.

I go troop heavy. really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper
    I am now not using carrion from this day forth. Tomb scorpions will replacethem. I mean the only reason people use carrion are to use them to attack warmachines. TOmb scorpions do a better job at that. Especially since tomb scorpion has the ability and tatic of going underground and then pop up and attack the warmachine. Carrion they can get hit depending on whos turn it is and they will die off and they won't be as effective. Scorpion has the killing blow, poisined attacks, magic restiatance and something else that is really good but i forget. Anyway I will never use carrion unless I am totally desperate. Ushabti are another favorite so I will keep a strong unit of them. Tomb guard still pondering about. So thats what I got.

Your mindset will change as soon as you roll badly on the scatter thing for the scorpion, he vanishes off the board, and your opponents artillery blows the living hell out of you.. But lets be positive shall we. :tongue:

I also use carrion to march block, though I suppose scorpions could do that too. The only problem I see is the unreliability of the scorpion showing up exactly where you want him. I mean, I've had carrion hit opponents warmachines and rip em apart in turn 1 before they could do anything. The earliest possible time for the scorp to show up is turn 2, and thats not overly likely.

But go with whichever you prefer. Both are great, and well I take both.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah der

The scorpion isn't going by himself! :yes: He will/ might be accompanied by another scorpion or many tomb swarms, or both. But anyway I can hold out on one turn with the warmachines attacking me thats why my skeletons have hw's shields and light armor. A total armor save of 4+ and I can cope with that since I can restore the unit to bring them back if destroyed. Ushabti will also occupy warmachines in a tatic I thought up aganist my friends dark elves. (to long to explain) I have found what I like to use now. I just think carrion are a waste unless you get to go first. I mean if you go second your carrion are going straight back to hell. They won't last because pretty much any opponent we tombking users fight know that if we field carrion we are gonna attack their warmachines and if they go first carrion is the first to go. At my local hobby shop they showed me this in a game of Tombkings v.s. Empire. And carrion were wiped clean off the board on the first turn. :yes: TOmb guard were most effective in that battle. The guys there told me no character will ever come near a unit with killing blow. so yeah. Thats what I think

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Well, just for the sake of debate since I enjoy these kind of discussions, (not trying to change your mind, use whatever you like best) Since carrion are fliers you can hide them behind other units so they can't get shot in the first turn, then fly them out. Thats what I do.. Though they have 2 wounds each and t4 so if my opponent wants to target all his shooting at a 100 point unit for a turn, go for it I say! Saves the rest of my army some damage.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grave guard

I like the tomb guard and the fact that they have killing blow for this reason you can auto kill units like Chossen chaos knights or any unit with low armour save. I like the fact that I can deny a 1+ save. That is why I have a slot for Tomb guard. And in the case of Chaos every knight you kill has paid for atleast 3 tomb guard and any tomb guard that die can be brought back.
    The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call there

Thats right always keep a unit of tomb guard. like I said no character will come near them.:yes: I don't care if people don't like them it's the fact that they have killing blow and increased status. I mean it is only fitting to use an army if you use their guard. Guard are supposed to be good and if they aren't I would find some way to make them good.:shifty: Anyways Yeah how many ushabti do you field and how many units of them.

-me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast