Budget Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budget Army

I want to start an army that is cool and has one big guy (like a wraithlord) that can't be hurt by little guys as well as a elite combat squad that pawns all. IT ALSO HAS TO BE VERY MAGICAL and have a Lord who is a total unbeatable Lord who pawns all in combats.. I am told it is tomb kings. Pleez list other armies that fit this description.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven would not be the way to go as their characters are not meant to be challenge winners, they are just there to boost leadership

May I sugest bretonnians, empire, any of the elf armies, lizardmen are cool, vampire counts, Tomb Kings, don’t know about orks, ogre kingdoms, chaos, or dwarves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

TK fit the discription pretty well, though nothing in WHFB is really unkillable. TK have great magic, can take bone giants, have nasty characters, don't really have a super elite unit though... Tomb Guard aren't that good. Ushabti are, but they aren't a unit.

VC would also get close, vampires are very near the best characters in the game for combat and they have pretty good magic. Again, no elite unit though, and no giant.

Chaos probably.. Their basic troops are elite enough, and their characters are rock hard. They can be great in magic, and for the big guy that PWNs not a lot brings down greater daemons.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Another 40K power gamer has entered our ranks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking of starting a Skaven army because i play dark eldar/eldar i am used to having the things i listed eg archon & incubi, talos, wraithlord. I want an army that isn't a small elite force. But I am a big fan of themes and i would like a character that can hold his own in combat. Can i have a skaven guy like that? Also you have to give me advice on how to beat a 5oopt high elf army that has tonnes of Silverhelms and Flames of Coagullation. I hATE that spell. 51 bloody hits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

For the helms, try to take a lot of things that ignore saves. We have a really good sword that does it (its better than everyone else's IMO). High strength is also good- things like Ushabti, Bone Giants, Screaming Skull Cats, and the killing blow of Tomb Guard. As for the flames, use your other choices all for liche priests and give one 2 Dispell Scroll. Also you can use the 40" move carrion combo.... Not quite sure how well it works, but sure sounds impressive... TK has a lot of good mage/warmachine hunter units....
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -34 (x0)

erm chaos are a good one, they have incredible lords, the best in the game.. and they also have the uber unbeatable character..most feared in all of warhammer.. archaon muahahhaha.. and chaos have the best armory of magic weapons.. and the best core units... for the right price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewey
    I want an army that isn't a small elite force.

I would try and avoid chaos then for the simple reason that your basic troops would have the best stat line in the game making them cost more points than other races basic troops meaning you are like space marines and most likely outnumbered in every fight. I have also seen the same thing with ogres.

Skaven are not the challenge type their leaders like to pack as many minions between then and the enemy as they can.

Me personally, I wouldn’t go dark elves or high elves as their models are not the best (not trying to offend anyone just my opinion).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Undead.
    Your basic troops suck, and do so big time, (and cost a lot as well), but you can summon new ones to wear the enemy down.

Vampire Counts can raise new Zombies and Skeletons, and heal multiwound models (namely characters and dragons). Tomb Kings cannot raise anything new, but if even one model of a unit remains, that unit can be fully repaired, including champions, musicians and whatnot. You can even rebuild chariots and war machines with magic, should you so wish. And, of course, due to being able to raise everything back, they can wear the enemy down with undying units, just like Vampire Counts.

Undead magic is very powerful overall, with the VC magic being more powerful, but more unreliable. VC magic isn't any more unreliable than any other normal magic in the game, it's just that Tomb King magic, unless dispelled, ALWAYS SUCCEEDS. Yes, no matter what, the spell goes through. Tomb Kings do not understand the concept of failing to cast a spell. (They also never miscast)

On the unit side, Vampire Counts have Skeleton and Zombie fodder, semi-elite infantry, good heavy cavalry and ethereal creatures.

Tomb Kings have Skeletons as well, but they have good ranged capabilities as well, unlike the Vampire Counts. Tomb Kings' heavy hitters aren't Knights, but rather living statues, huge scorpions and giants made out of bone.

For characters, both armies' Wizards are rather, frail, as is to be expected, but do cause Fear. The fighting characters are rock-hard, especially for the Vampires. While Tomb King fighting characters may not be up to par with Vampires, they have the Curse. This means that you take a random amount of hits without saves of any kind allowed upon slaying a Tomb King fighting character. It's a nice deterrant

EDIT: That all said, though, Vampire Counts aren't a budget army unless you hit a massive but relatively cheap block of skellies on ebay - you need way more models than the army size would indicate (due to raising).
    Last edited by Teron; February 28th, 2006 at 18:21.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick idea.

Try spear of antarak and scorpion armour, can only lose 1 wound to CR and will earn it back next turn! Great against CC troops.
    Do you play chess? Join the chess clan! Also part of The Musician Clan

+ Reply to Thread